TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 183 84 85 86 87302 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I meant on an official session, so yeah, it's Giovanna Amati, 22 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fish88 wrote:
For that you need to get a opportunity to drive. Since Giedo is already paying big bucks, I doubt she will get much track time... Hope she get's it. But I think she had a good chance of becoming a race winner in Indycar, wish she stayed there.

ptclaus98 wrote:
What? Up and down a runway? In a simulator? She's not going to get a proper chance until she finds money. They had Frijns on the same deal last year and he had to scratch and claw for his opportunities. And the ones he got will be taken by vd Garde. Shesbetter off hunting for something in Formula E.

I was basing my post off this:

phil1993 wrote:
Swiss press says she Simona will do the tests at Silverstone & Abu Dhabi and get FP1 outings at Austin & Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:50 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

ptclaus98 wrote:
Make the most of the chance? By doing what?

By proving she deserves the chance off the track as well. One of the reasons that Vettel was given the chances he was given was because he was continually turning up to the RBR factory and annoying Horner and Marko about any opportunity he could, even if it was random Red Bull PR stuff he could do. Then when they moved to Pirelli, he was down at the Pirelli factory more than any other driver, getting any information he could.

There's more to F1 than what we see in the cars. You've got to push for things when you're not in the car too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Vettel is damn workaholic, surely after retiring from racing he'll standup for pitwall of a random team and be more professional than Ron Dennis or Patrick Head

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:17 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I'm much more enthusiastic about Simona's chances than Susie's. If there's one female single-seater driver who could race in F1 and not make it look like tokenism, it's her

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b ... r-minardi/

Quote:
Red Bull looking for new engine supplier - Minardi

"According to circulating information, the situation seems more difficult than that and not easy to solve" - Gian Carlo Minardi.

Feb.14 (GMM) World champions Red Bull could be on the market for a new engine supplier.

That is the belief of ex F1 team owner and boss Gian Carlo Minardi, whose former Faenza based team, now called Toro Rosso, is owned by the energy drink company.

Out of troubled engine supplier Renault's four F1 partners, including Toro Rosso, the senior Red Bull team managed the least mileage of all at the recent Jerez test.

Minardi, however, observed that - officially - the Red Bull-owned teams are sending out messages of "tranquillity and calm" about what many others believe is a crisis.

"According to circulating information, the situation seems more difficult than that and not easy to solve," the 66-year-old wrote in a posting in Italian on his website.

"It seems that Red Bull are exploring a possible change of engine for 2015," added Minardi.

He said he has also heard that Renault, struggling to solve the obvious problems with its turbo V6 'power unit', has gone beyond the walls of its Viry factory and is now "shopping" around for technical fixes.

"That has practically never happened before as, quite rightly, Renault has always sought to preserve its technology," said Minardi.

"This news can only feed suspicions of structural problems in the engine that are not easy to solve in the short term.

"Obviously, I hope to be proved wrong as soon as the testing in Bahrain, but undoubtedly we are living through a chaotic time in Formula One," he added.

Probably more speculation than what's done on the stock-market. If true, wonder who they eye. Would Ferrari or Mercedes supply a direct competitor? Can they finally lure Vag (with one of their gazillion brands) in?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Red Bull is shit. They won 4 titles with Renault and now they may have a bad season and they wanna get rid of Renault?
Is it because of alternators??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well the French car industry is also doing badly. It might affect the involvement of Renault in F1. Especially if their current engine's are far behind Mercedes and Ferrari.
With that in mind, even with their 4 titles with Renault, I can see some sense in looking beyond Renault.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
rumours are leading to a Peugeot comeback

but I don't see that as too much optmistic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I really wouldn't listen to what Minardi is saying. Remember the traction control claims?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:38 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

alex1369 wrote:
Red Bull is shit. They won 4 titles with Renault and now they may have a bad season and they wanna get rid of Renault?

Red Bull want to win, if the engines aren't up to the task I don't blame them if they want to try and find a better solution.

Its down to Renault to up their game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:52 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

phil1993 wrote:
I really wouldn't listen to what Minardi is saying. Remember the traction control claims?

Yeah, remember them? He was actually right back then.

About a week afterwards renowned Auto Motor Sport published an article about Red Bulls (Renaults) motor-management system, which cuts cylinders (only firing 4 cyclinders) when accelerating, and which acted like a traction control. It was a hugely complex system and I was impressed when I read about it. Google Translate will be your friend.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 64145.html

So I'm interested in what Minardi has to say.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jason wrote:
alex1369 wrote:

Red Bull want to win, if the engines aren't up to the task I don't blame them if they want to try and find a better solution.

Or down to Red Bull to build a more reliable car, right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Renault should buy back the Lotus team and show their capacity. It is kinda disrespectful IMO that after one set back RBR is already willingly to ditch them. Surely Mercedes or Ferrari aren't willing to supply one of their direct opponents? And Honda seems to have a exclusive contract with Mclaren for the upcoming years. It is a bit stupid to ruin a good relation when you don't have any other real options.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:16 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

kals wrote:
Jason wrote:
alex1369 wrote:

Or down to Red Bull to build a more reliable car, right?

All the Renault engined teams had issues.

Yes Red Bull might have messed up by packaging the car tight, but if they solve the issues and the engine is still pants then they will look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
Renault should buy back the Lotus team and show their capacity. It is kinda disrespectful IMO that after one set back RBR is already willingly to ditch them. Surely Mercedes or Ferrari aren't willing to supply one of their direct opponents? And Honda seems to have a exclusive contract with Mclaren for the upcoming years. It is a bit stupid to ruin a good relation when you don't have any other real options.

If there is truth in the report they surely already have a trick up their sleeve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jason wrote:
Yes Red Bull might have messed up by packaging the car tight, but if they solve the issues and the engine is still pants then they will look elsewhere.

For goodness knows how many years Red Bull have been building cars on the very edge of reliability. I've lost count how many KERS issues Seb and Mark suffered (MW especially) and how many alternators failed. Red Bull point blank blamed the alternator issues on Renault, even though they were the only Renault team to suffer from these problems.

Now they've done their normal design with an aggressive stance on packaging and it has bitten them. That is not entirely Renault's fault. And as for all the Renault teams having issues, here's what I said about that recently. There is a theme...

kals wrote:
Three of the four teams that use the Renault product fundamentally share common technology from a parent (Red Bull). There is an issue with Renault, no-one is denying that. But. Red Bull (and as a by-product of the technology transfer relationships... STR and Caterham) are pushing the envelope of what the engine should be doing. No other team, or engine is being that aggressive. Lotus included.

As was mentioned on the previous page, this isn't the first time Newey has pushed the envelope and got it wrong. It isn't entirely Renault's fault and we shouldn't simply focus on them as the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
For goodness knows how many years Red Bull have been building cars on the very edge of reliability. I've lost count how many KERS issues Seb and Mark suffered (MW especially) and how many alternators failed. Red Bull point blank blamed the alternator issues on Renault, even though they were the only Renault team to suffer from these problems.

I agree with the whole packaging issue, but Lotus also suffered alternator failures in 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fair point and if memory serves me right, it happened to Lotus a couple of times but constantly to Red Bull.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
Fair point and if memory serves me right, it happened to Lotus a couple of times but constantly to Red Bull.

I wouldn't say 'constantly' - I think they had four failures across the season compared to two for Lotus. I mean, KERS was a bigger problem for Red Bull.

But tightly packaged cars is a recurring theme so it's a Red Bull problem, exacerbated by Renault's problems.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 183 84 85 86 87302 Next