TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1131 132 133 134 135335 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Back to boredom when Pirelli leaves then.

Back to boredom when Pirelli leaves? So you didn't watch the Canadian GP then? ;)

Despite dominating the Canadian GP thanks to Pirelli's low tyre degradation, Vettel still believes the safety of the tyres in questionable.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108031

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

That race wasn't that bad :p

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Fabs wrote:
Back to boredom when Pirelli leaves then.

Back to boredom when Pirelli leaves? So you didn't watch the Canadian GP then? ;)

Despite dominating the Canadian GP thanks to Pirelli's low tyre degradation, Vettel still believes the safety of the tyres in questionable.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108031

Thus why we hate the little shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:54 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Why do you hate "the little shit?"

"The criticism we had or I expressed was not based on performance. I think it was based on safety," he said.

Vettel is not criticising the wear. I've now seen 3 interviews with him and EVERY time he expresses concern for tyre delamination, NOT the high wear rate. Red Bull might be complaining, but so are Mercedes. Vettel is purely on safety grounds...is that a bad thing!?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:59 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

ellis wrote:

"The criticism we had or I expressed was not based on performance. I think it was based on safety," he said.

Vettel is not criticising the wear. I've now seen 3 interviews with him and EVERY time he expresses concern for tyre delamination, NOT the high wear rate. Red Bull might be complaining, but so are Mercedes. Vettel is purely on safety grounds...is that a bad thing!?

It's Vettel, so have to hate him. We HAVE TO. Doesn't matter what it's about. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ellis wrote:

Well historically, people didn't like Jackie Stewart when he started his safety campaign...

Better stick to sex than motorsport in terms of safety then I guess?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only thing I question about the concerns with tyre delamination, is why do the drivers feel they need to complain about it? In actuality we've only seen this issue occur on a couple of occasions and those have been have resulted in non-serious consequences. Considering the actual risks involved in motorsport this is a real non-issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
The only thing I question about the concerns with tyre delamination, is why do the drivers feel they need to complain about it? In actuality we've only seen this issue occur on a couple of occasions and those have been have resulted in non-serious consequences. Considering the actual risks involved in motorsport this is a real non-issue.

Because we've got kinda lucky that they happened in positions where the result was nothing. Imagine that in Eau Rouge for example. Suddenly it isn't quite as much of a non-issue.

I agree that it's maybe a little much fuss, but we all know what's happening here. Red Bull, in the form of Horner, are complaining about the tyres wearing too much. So everyone wants to ask Vettel about it too. He has never once, as far as I can find, criticised the wear rate of the tyres, and has deflected it to be about the delamination issues only. To me that's the perfect answer - he doesn't publicly disagree with his team, but clearly doesn't share the opinion, and talks about a safety issue instead.

Whether you like the PR Game or not, he plays that perfectly there. I mean he could go on Twitter and call himself a fucking samurai who makes miracles or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:

Well, of course he's not going to cite performance anymore now that RB and Merc's bitchfest has resulted in a harder tyre. Now it's better to pull the safety card to try and get even harder tyres.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:28 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Hotdogger wrote:
ellis wrote:

Well, of course he's not going to cite performance anymore now that RB and Merc's bitchfest has resulted in a harder tyre. Now it's better to pull the safety card to try and get even harder tyres.

What do you mean "now that it has resulted in a harder tyre"? The tyre is not harder at all - these are the same tyres as before. And Pirelli already said the delamination issue is NOT related to wear, but rather the glue and construction method...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
kals wrote:

Because we've got kinda lucky that they happened in positions where the result was nothing. Imagine that in Eau Rouge for example. Suddenly it isn't quite as much of a non-issue.

You see ellis, that is entirely the issue at hand. In theory, any part of a F1 car can fail in a place like Eau Rouge. Just because a couple of tyres have delaminated, doesn't mean it is a huge risk all of a sudden which deserves more attention than any other part of an F1 car which has the potential to fail. So it is a non-issue. Motorsport is dangerous and is supposed to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Hotdogger wrote:
ellis wrote:

What do you mean "now that it has resulted in a harder tyre"? The tyre is not harder at all - these are the same tyres as before.

Isn't Silverstone expected to see a new, harder tyre compound, due to RB and Merc's whining?

ellis wrote:
And Pirelli already said the delamination issue is NOT related to wear, but rather the glue and construction method...

Construction method affects how a tyre wears, does it not? Not doubting you but would like to see where Pirelli said this. Is it just a coincidence that these delamination issues started to occur at the same time as we saw the highest falloff levels ever (Spain)?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
ellis wrote:
kals wrote:

You see ellis, that is entirely the issue at hand. In theory, any part of a F1 car can fail in a place like Eau Rouge. Just because a couple of tyres have delaminated, doesn't mean it is a huge risk all of a sudden which deserves more attention than any other part of an F1 car which has the potential to fail. So it is a non-issue. Motorsport is dangerous and is supposed to be.

I agree, but when you go from zero tyre issues in 3 years, to 3 in 5 races, it isn't a case of "well anything can fail", it's a case of something changed which is causing problems, so why shouldn't it be fixed? If the tyre failures were indeed single cases then yeah fine, but they aren't.

Failures happen. Motorsport is dangerous. I love the danger. But if I had a brake system that was fine for 3 years, then I made changes, then suddenly failed a bunch of times, I'd want it fixed too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:48 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

kals wrote:
ellis wrote:
kals wrote:

I suppose it is because they are able to shift the blame to an external company. Your rear wing snapping off or suspension collapsing is entirely up to your team and design, but tyres are not.

Last edited by StanV on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Delaminations started in Bahrain (Massa).

As far as what's causing the delaminations is concerned, Pirelli said this on Friday; http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107926

It appears as though changing the construction has led to a safer tyre.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Hotdogger wrote:
Isn't Silverstone expected to see a new, harder tyre compound, due to RB and Merc's whining?

It was to be considered, but Pirelli were told it wasn't allowed to happen by the FIA due to the regulations. Which I agree with 100%, but the same regulation also stated that the tyres must be finalised in NOVEMBER the season before, and that was ignored. So the FIA picking and choosing when to enforce tyre regulations is an issue which has not yet been discussed.

ellis wrote:
Construction method affects how a tyre wears, does it not? Not doubting you but would like to see where Pirelli said this. Is it just a coincidence that these delamination issues started to occur at the same time as we saw the highest falloff levels ever (Spain)?

Pirelli originally claimed that the tyre failures were due to debris cutting the tyre. However one of the drivers (I forget who) asked why debris is suddenly an issue if it hasn't been before. Why are the new tyres failing when contact is made if the old ones didn't. Then after the 3rd failure (I think that was di Resta, I can't remember), Vettel said he didn't believe it was related to debris from the information he'd been told, and pushed Pirelli for a fix. When quizzed about wear rates, he dodged the question every time (unlike Lewis, Mercedes and Red Bull who have demanded changes). Pirelli talked about a different glue solution being used in the future which would stop it happening.

If Vettel is considered to be a "little shit" for wanting safer tyres, then Lewis has to be considered the c*nt of all c*nts for wanting the tyres changed to suit him and his car. But that doesn't seem to be the case for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Hotdogger wrote:

It was to be considered, but Pirelli were told it wasn't allowed to happen by the FIA due to the regulations. Which I agree with 100%, but the same regulation also stated that the tyres must be finalised in NOVEMBER the season before, and that was ignored. So the FIA picking and choosing when to enforce tyre regulations is an issue which has not yet been discussed.

ellis wrote:

Pirelli originally claimed that the tyre failures were due to debris cutting the tyre. However one of the drivers (I forget who) asked why debris is suddenly an issue if it hasn't been before. Why are the new tyres failing when contact is made if the old ones didn't. Then after the 3rd failure (I think that was di Resta, I can't remember), Vettel said he didn't believe it was related to debris from the information he'd been told, and pushed Pirelli for a fix. When quizzed about wear rates, he dodged the question every time (unlike Lewis, Mercedes and Red Bull who have demanded changes). Pirelli talked about a different glue solution being used in the future which would stop it happening.

If Vettel is considered to be a "little shit" for wanting safer tyres, then Lewis has to be considered the c*nt of all c*nts for wanting the tyres changed to suit him and his car. But that doesn't seem to be the case for whatever reason.

No, he's a little shit if he's trying to play the safety card to get the tyres to further suit his Red Bull so the rest of the season can be insured completely in his favour. If that is not the case, fine. However, I'd just like to see some proof that tyre wear is absolutely unrelated to failures, so I can rule out any motive on Seb and RB's part to try to use safety as an excuse to get tyres better suited to their car. Just because Hembrey suggested a different glue solution as one of the possible fixes, does it completely rule out less wear as being another possible fix that they will try only if the glue solution doesn't fix it completely?

Another thing that's got me riled up is last year, Pirelli ran SS/S tyres at Montreal but this year, it was SS/M. Why was that change made if not to give in to RB and Merc's complaining?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:19 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Quote:
However, I'd just like to see some proof that tyre wear is absolutely unrelated to failures

Pirelli: "So we have been working on some process changes - in basic terms, the glue, to increase the adhesion between the components in the tyre.

The issue is the new belts, rather than compound. A different glue may be required to suit these belts.

Quote:
Another thing that's got me riled up is last year, Pirelli ran SS/S tyres at Montreal but this year, it was SS/M. Why was that change made if not to give in to RB and Merc's complaining?

The tyres are split in compound now. So there is a gap between them. So SS/M is the softest possible choice. I believe this was an FIA and Pirelli choice last season, NOT this season, and the Canadian GP compound choices would've been announced months ago, before complaints.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Quote:
However, I'd just like to see some proof that tyre wear is absolutely unrelated to failures

Pirelli: "So we have been working on some process changes - in basic terms, the glue, to increase the adhesion between the components in the tyre.

The issue is the new belts, rather than compound. A different glue may be required to suit these belts.

I'll just quote myself again..

Quote:
Just because Hembrey suggested a different glue solution as one of the possible fixes, does it completely rule out less wear as being another possible fix that they will try only if the glue solution doesn't fix it completely?

I say this because in NASCAR, falloff went down when they made tyres that would blow out less often, so wear and falloff are factors that can cause failures. Combine that with the fact that these delaminations in F1 happened at the same weekend that Pirelli brought the tyre with the highest falloff ever is not a coincidence. RB know that too and hope to get Pirelli to reduce the falloff in their tyres by playing the safety card. Why else are they continuing to have these 'concerns'? Were there even any delaminations since Spain?

ellis wrote:
Quote:

The tyres are split in compound now. So there is a gap between them. So SS/M is the softest possible choice. I believe this was an FIA and Pirelli choice last season, NOT this season, and the Canadian GP compound choices would've been announced months ago, before complaints.

Actually, the Canadian GP compounds were announced after the Monaco GP or around that time roughly. And how can SS/M be the softest possible choice if they ran SS/S at Monaco just a few weeks ago?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think another safety concern with the delaminations is just having bits of tyre flying about at speed.

The bits that come off the tyre probably weigh a fair bit & have a lot of energy behind them at 100mph+. If those bits of tyre hit a driver behind (Or even a marshall, fan or media person at trackside) that could do some damage.

Don't forget we have also seen them damage 2 cars, Hamilton suffered gearbox damage & In Barcelona Vergne suffered brake cooling damage which resulted in a DNF (Could have resulted in brake failure).

Its fine to say that any part of the car could fail at any time, But if you have a situation like this where you know there's a problem that you can fix, Then I think you have to fix them be it going back to the kevlar belt used in 2011/2012 or using a different glue to hold the tread in place.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1131 132 133 134 135335 Next