TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 918 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:24 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

StefMeister wrote:
Here is a video combining all the F1 reports SSN broadcast through the day:

[dailymotion]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xoff8l_f1-2012-testing-jerez-day-1-feb-7th_auto[/dailymotion]

Keep these coming man :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Caterham fun:

Quote:
13:36 Important update from Caterham via @MyCaterhamF1: "how many teams have a Bob Marley, Global Underground, Allman Brothers and David Bowie soundtrack in the motorhome? NONE"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

New lid for Sergio?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:03 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Day 2 done.

Code:
Pos   Driver   Team   Time   Laps
1    Schumacher   Mercedes    1m18.561s   132
2    Webber   Red Bull    1m19.184s  +0.623   97
3    Ricciardo   Toro Rosso    1m19.587s  +1.026   100
4    Bianchi   Force India    1m20.221s  +1.660   46
5    Raikkonen   Lotus    1m20.239s  +1.678   117
6    Di Resta   Force India    1m20.272s  +1.711   69
7    Massa   Ferrari    1m20.454s  +1.893   95
8    Button   McLaren    1m20.688s  +2.127   85
9    Perez   Sauber    1m20.711s  +2.150   67
10    Maldonado   Williams    1m21.197s  +2.636   96
11    Kovalainen   Caterham    1m21.518s  +2.957   139
12    De la Rosa   HRT    1m22.128s  +3.567   64

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Here's what people think today:

- Red Bull & McLaren look to have great grip
- Ferrari not so much, Felipe struggling with the car a bit
- Raikkonen enjoying the Lotus. Really hustling it.
- Force India looks good, planted and assured
- Caterham has good handling, but Heikki taking more time to apply throttle on corner exits
- Sauber a bit of a handful through T4-5.

Early, early days.

But, there's amazing reliability so far. I think there was two red flags today - one to clear gravel when Raikkonen went off & another when a kerb was slightly loose I think. Only mechanical red was one for Ricciardo yesterday IIRC.

Kovalainen did 139 laps with KERS 8O

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Bit of testing footage from the german version of Sky Sports News

[dailymotion]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xogc26_2012-formula-1-jerez-testing-footage-german_auto[/dailymotion]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:46 pm 

^^^^^^^^^^

it says content is private

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Felipe admits the car is fucked.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97420

Or maybe it's just him...

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most likely it's him but I wouldn't be shocked that the ugly has made the handling ugly as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:53 am 

phil1993 wrote:
Here's what people think today:

- Red Bull & McLaren look to have great grip
- Ferrari not so much, Felipe struggling with the car a bit
- Raikkonen enjoying the Lotus. Really hustling it.
- Force India looks good, planted and assured
- Caterham has good handling, but Heikki taking more time to apply throttle on corner exits
- Sauber a bit of a handful through T4-5.

Early, early days.

But, there's amazing reliability so far. I think there was two red flags today - one to clear gravel when Raikkonen went off & another when a kerb was slightly loose I think. Only mechanical red was one for Ricciardo yesterday IIRC.

Kovalainen did 139 laps with KERS 8O

Thanks and please phil keep it up :thumbsup: Can you credit the people who are making such claims, though?

Here's some Peter Windsor comments to fool us all who are fans of Schumacher:
Quote:
http://peterwindsor.com/2012/02/08/notes-from-jerez-testing/
"Michael Schumacher was supremely good into Turn One, staying way over on the right of the straight, accelerating through to seventh gear with the car unloaded, before angling back to the left at the last possible moment. Granted, Michael on this day still had the benefit of a blown diffuser. Relative to the Michael of 2010/11, however, this was an altogether different driver. He braked to a point on the left of the road, still with the car at perhaps 15 deg from “straight and parallel”, then nudged the Mercedes into the right-hander, downshifting against increasing steering load. This plainly asked a lot of the car – but the grip was there and Michael used it almost to perfection in a long run in the middle of the day. Only at 4:45, and then again at 5:50, when the shadows were long and the Pirellis were getting a little tired, did I see Michael revert to a little of what we saw a little of in the last two years. Catching diResta, he braked a metre or two late into Nine, ran wide…but still minimised the damage with some nice manipulations. In short, Michael was Michael this day in Jerez. I think he likes the new Pirellis."

and on tweeter he wrote:
"Wonderful to watch Michael's driving on his long run this am: accurate, precise, consistent - a far cry from 2010/11."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sky didn't do live reports through the day today but here's there brief end of day report:

[dailymotion]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xognpq_f1-2012-testing-jerez-day-2-feb-8th_auto[/dailymotion]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:20 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

After looking at Hi-res images of all the car that have been released so far the McLaren is defiantly the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The Ferrari looks terrible from almost all angles. Plus from watching the videos, the Ferrari just looks like it lacks grip in almost every type of corner from high speed to low speeds. On a plus side the HRT car looks decent but, i am sure it will suffer from engine reliability and power issues. Red Bull look to be on the right track for another successful year.

Anyone know what day the new Mercedes will break cover?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mercedes5CLR wrote:
On a plus side the HRT car looks decent

Think they were just running the 2011 car.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Here's observations from Peter Windsor

Quote:
Michael Schumacher was supremely good into Turn One, staying way over on the right of the straight, accelerating through to seventh gear with the car unloaded, before angling back to the left at the last possible moment. Granted, Michael on this day still had the benefit of a blown diffuser. Relative to the Michael of 2010/11, however, this was an altogether different driver. He braked to a point on the left of the road, still with the car at perhaps 15 deg from “straight and parallel”, then nudged the Mercedes into the right-hander, downshifting against increasing steering load. This plainly asked a lot of the car – but the grip was there and Michael used it almost to perfection in a long run in the middle of the day. Only at 4:45, and then again at 5:50, when the shadows were long and the Pirellis were getting a little tired, did I see Michael revert to a little of what we saw a little of in the last two years. Catching diResta, he braked a metre or two late into Nine, ran wide…but still minimised the damage with some nice manipulations. In short, Michael was Michael this day in Jerez. I think he likes the new Pirellis.

Mark Webber also looked sharp and very quick, although out of the last corner, and towards Turn One, he began his diagonal perhaps 50 metres earlier than Michael (as is Mark’s regular style). Perhaps 200rpm go missing here. Slightly too-early throttle application against abrupt steering load also gave him quite a lot of mid-corner understeer in the middle of One, but, into Two, a downhill, right-hand hairpin, Mark was faultless. Always looking for an earlier upshift, and a master of “floating” the car – letting it settle for a millisecond, with minimal inputs – Mark in Jerez looked every bit the winner of the previous race. And then, through Turn Five, Mark showed just how phenomenally quick he can be. He and Michael dominated the afternoon on this fast corner, the substance of which is almost blind when you’re sitting in an F1 car. Superb to watch.

Kimi looked great in all the slow corners, even if he twice missed his braking point into the chicane just before day’s end. All the old Kimi was on show – the great use of a decreasing brake pedal pressure against steering load, the exquisite feel for the right moment to load-up the car with steering. He was almost in Michael’s wheeltracks on the stretch from the last corner into Turn One – almost but not quite. Kimi’s E20 was straight as it crossed the timing line but he began his diagonal to the outside perhaps 20m earlier than Michael. Maybe 50rpm lost here. Out at Turn Five – the daunting, fourth-gear corner – Kimi was a tad disappointing, frequently leading the car in from a point about a metre later than Michael or Mark and thus effectively running out of road mid-corner. I’m sure he was saying afterwards that the car suffers here from understeer but to my eye his initial manipulations were not helping the problem.

Paul di Resta looked very good, I thought. He’s developed into a sort of Barrichello-Button hybrid. His general approaches are not as soft – as late – as those of Rubens but he has all of Rubens’ rhythm and timing. His engine sounds also suggest that he has much of Jenson’s suppleness of footwork from mid-corner to exit, even if he does put a lot of energy onto the loaded, outside front at the expense of the torque that Jenson generates from the inside rear. Paul looks like a driver who can go round and round all day without varying his lap times (given the inevitable variables) by more than a tenth or two.

Daniel Ricciardi to me did not look comfortable in the Toro Rosso. Into Turn One there was a nice, late diagonal but this was followed by a frantic-looking, last-minute dive for a bit of “flat car” to get the thing stopped. He was very (relatively) late turning-in into Two, and heavy on the loaded front – and the pattern was similar into the much-faster Turn Five. This gave him a nice, clean, safe exit, of course, but if you freeze-framed Daniel mid-corner alongside, say, Mark you’d see a Toro Rosso with lots of room between it and the marbles and a Red Bull with about 2cm to spare…

Pastor Maldonado was out late in the Williams FW34 – around 4:00pm – but at Turn Five, where I was watching at that point, he was sensationally fast. The Williams looked very good at this fast corner, which I think augers well for the season ahead. The car seemed less effective into the hairpin, and through the slow-speed chicane, although Pastor was on hard tyres and a very heavy fuel load at this point so it was difficult to judge. In terms of his driving, Pastor looked excellent, I thought - neat, precise and efficient.

Heikki Kovalainen was similarly concise in the new Mike Gascoyne car, although I have to confess that I found it quite difficult to watch him in detail because of the eyesores that are those yellow wheels. They worked on Lotus 18s and 25s but even Colin Chapman switched to black wheels for the 33; and no-one with any feel for Lotus would run either a Caterham or a Lotus 7 on yellow rims. Change, please!

Jenson Button, as ever, just made the whole thing look absurdly simple. There were none of Michael’s straight lines or Mark’s mid-corner high-speed flicks. The McLaren just went round and round, di Resta-like, always on the conventional racing line, always under perfect control. Does it have any vices? Is it quick? I have no idea. Jenson makes bad cars look just as good as quick ones. It didn’t appear slow; I can tell you that.

Felipe Massa looked very good late in the day, when he was finally able to string some laps together (prior to that, Ferrari were in telemetry mode: out-lap, in-lap, out-lap, in-lap). The new Ferrari gave the impression of being fast on both slow and fast corners – and I say “gave the impression” because Felipe appeared to be driving well within the car’s limits at every given moment. And he was doing so with a nice, taut entry phase, just as he used to have in the good old days. No reason to be anything but positive about Ferrari at this early stage of the day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

whens the new HRT due to be unveiled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
whens the new HRT due to be unveiled

Prior to the second test.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have lost ALL respect for Peter Windsor over the USAF1 debacle. After reading his observations above I have come to the conclusion...this man is full of shit. Phil do you have any other reports from different reporters?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:48 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

webbsy wrote:
I have lost ALL respect for Peter Windsor over the USAF1 debacle. After reading his observations above I have come to the conclusion...this man is full of shit. Phil do you have any other reports from different reporters?

Well, he has still worked in F1 for several decades, so I believe his observations regardless of the USF1 debacle.

Other reporters say that the Ferrari looks crap. Added to that, they say Massa's body language was pretty down, while Webber was strikingly confident. Getting on the power early, good in slow/medium/fast corners. But no-one really knows - they might be doing some set-up work on harder tyres or something. Wait until Alonso gets a turn, it'll be difficult for him to hide if it's a bad car

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Most likely it's him but I wouldn't be shocked that the ugly has made the handling ugly as well.

I think it's a safe bet that Kubica will replace him in 2013 or sooner if he's fully healed.
If he's at full strength within months Massa better be leading the WDC with a massive lead. Another 2011 season for him and he will get the boot so hard even S&M-lovers think it hurts....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:48 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Having suffered with Massa for the last 2 years, Ferrari would be stupid to hire a driver who has had a serious injury and missed 2 seasons.

Anyway
Quote:
Just seen someone wheeling a shopping trolley through the media centre."

:lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 918 Next