Who would you prefer?
Ari Vatanen 87%  87%  [ 129 ]
Jean Todt 13%  13%  [ 19 ]
Total votes: 148
 Post subject: Vatanen vs Todt
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:54 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thought it might be interesting to hold a poll and discuss who is your favorite, and why.

New developments:

F1Live.com wrote:
Prost eyes FIA role alongside president Todt

23/07/09 11:09

Retired quadruple world champion Alain Prost says he would consider playing a role if his countryman Jean Todt becomes the next FIA president.

He told sport365.com that he has already discussed the possibility with the former Ferrari boss, who will contest the October elections against the independent candidate Ari Vatanen.

"Ari Vatanen is a very good candidate, and Jean Todt is an excellent candidate," Prost said. "Jean's disadvantage is that the (F1) manufacturers are not very positive about his possible arrival. But there are also the automobile clubs to consider, the safety, the mobility, the environment ... in short, an enormous amount of work.”

Prost raised the prospect that "other candidates" may join Vatanen and Prost in pushing for Max Mosley's job, but categorically ruled out the possibility he might be among them.

"Moreover, if Jean is there, I would never put myself against him," he insisted.

Prost did note, however, that he might be interested in a role that focused only on the FIA's sporting aspects.

"If there is something that perhaps I could justify, it would be on the matters of F1 and sport," he said. "We will have to see what is going to happen in two or three months."

Asked specifically if he could end up working alongside FIA president Todt, Prost answered: "Perhaps. It is something we have already spoken about but it cannot be decided today."

Post subject: Re: Vatanen vs Todt
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:57 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

lol I´m the only one who voted Todt so far.

Todt has experience about leading big organisations and handling tight situations. His only disadvantage is that he´s linked with Ferrari.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

If the whole point of Mosley stepping down was to elect a new President who would offer a change in direction from Mosley, then the election of Todt would be rather a waste of time, effort and money.

Todt as a candidate has very strong credentials, but the ticket he is running on is a rather obsolete one.

Still, if he were to be elected, Ferrari would be in trouble. I doubt Todt has forgotten how he was forced out of that particular team.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ari Vatanen, because I dont like Todt; he's always miserable and he'll just be a new Max Mosely... except with less bondage

Autosport poll:

83% Vatanen
17% Todt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Vatanen, not because i dont like Todt, but because Vatanen will be a better president, thanks to his racing background and imparciality.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:50 pm 
2012 TBK-Light Fantasy Football Champion
2012 TBK-Light Fantasy Football Champion

amq55 wrote:
Vatanen, not because i dont like Todt, but because Vatanen will be a better president, thanks to his racing background and imparciality.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:52 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Todt is a whiny little bitch, and would continue the cycle of egotistical FIA Presidents who care more about themselves than the job they are supposed to be doing. Vatanen in his interview on BBC sounded like a sensible bloke, and what is needed is common sense which I reckon he has.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:30 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ari Vatanen has his opinion about climate change:

Some jewels in finnish and english (translations from f1fanatic.co.uk)

Ari Vatanen wrote:
Press Conference, May 2009, Monaco

Hiilidioksidipäästöjen välttäminen on ehkä stalinismin ohella suurin hype, jonka olen elämässäni kokenut.
The fear of carbon emissions is propably the biggest hype since stalinism which I have experienced in my life.

Tämä on marxilaisuuteen ja Neuvostoliittoon pettyneen vihreän liikkeen keksimää syyllistämistä. Ihmisten syyllistäminen ja maailmanlopulla pelottelu ovat vallankäyttöä.
This (Climate Change) is disappointment in Marxism and the Soviet Union from the green movement, invented to put the blame on people. Making people feel guilty and fear of the end of the world is an abuse of power.

Suuri hiilijalanjälki tarkoittaa hyvinvointia. Miksi ihmisiä syyllistetään materiaalisesta hyvinvoinnista?
Growing our carbon footprint is a sign of well being. Why are people being accused of material well being?

http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/artikkeli/Europarlamentaarikko+Ari+Vatanen+Iso+hiilijalanj%C3%A4lki+on+merkki+menestyksest%C3%A4/1135246183829
http://www.iltalehti.fi/vaalit/200905259640938_vl.shtml

Maybe Ari is right, who knows. But green movement ain´t happy of his views.

And maybe Ari will bring back V10 and V12 engines in F1 instead of downsizing to 1.0 liter turbos...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:57 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I don't really care who gets in because anyone will be better than Mosley.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:12 am 

I don't really know much about Vatanen's achievment apart from racing. But how he related carbon dioxide talks to stalinism which is apparently trying to win the favors of car manufactures was nothing but a typical, hopeless remark from an average politician.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:27 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Voted Ari, gotta be the way forward, most important to me is that he is a proper racer thats got a lot out of the sport and hopefully wants to put something back into it :)
**** the enviroment :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like Todt and he sure is a great leader, but Vatanen has more experience in politics. Although his speech about climate change is the poorest biased piece of senseless rethoric I have ever heard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Todt would be a great choice for the job. Dunno who this other guy is though...

My vote is for Todt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

Ari Vatanen, reasonably successful rally driver-cum-politican. Won WRC title in the 80's and numerous rallies. He crashed badly during 1985 and though he returned, he never won again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:38 pm 

He also was the king of the Paris-Dakar rally in the early 90s, which he won several times in the Peugeot team managed by no other than...... Jean Todt :o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:11 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

ryan86 wrote:
Ari Vatanen, reasonably successful rally driver-cum-politican. Won WRC title in the 80's and numerous rallies. He crashed badly during 1985 and though he returned, he never won again.

He never won a WRC event again after his crash, but he was 1997 Rally Raid world champion, won the Paris-Dakar in 1987, 89, 90 and 91. He also won the Pike's Peak in 1988, setting then the all-time record which held on for years. He came very close to win Finnish Rally of 1000 Lakes (NesteOil Rally), but because of technical failures, he only managed to get few podiums. Last time he was on podium in WRC was in 1998 in Safari Rally Kenya when he was 3rd.

He took his last attempt on Neste Rally Finland in 2003 with Peugeot 206 WRC. He was 11th on the final standings. He was then 50 years old and few old finnish champions had a bet to do the Finnish rally for the last time when they turn to 50. The idea was thrown out by Timo Salonen in 1984, but Hannu Mikkola didn't take part to this bet as he already was 50 years old. :lol:

Last time Vatanen raced, was in Dakar Rally in 2007 with VW Touareg. He retired from the event.

Vatanen has been politically active since the end of the 90's. He was MEP for Finland since 1999 until 2004 and after that for France. He didn't got re-elected this year, and I believe it was mostly due his too little campaigning and switch back to Finland after success in France. Vatanen was popular person in the parliament during his time.

Jean Todt has been working in motor sports for a long time, but he's been involved in few scandals during his time in charge in Peugeot and Ferrari. He's to close to Ferrari to be diplomatic for the FIA presidency. Vatanen get's upper hand in here also.

So I definately hope that Vatanen will get this. I don't see any reasons why he wouldn't be suitable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:31 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Vatanen had an idea of some kind of windshield for F1. In his proposal, if you look directly from front to rear drivers helmet is completely covered by this "windshield". So debris coming from forward direction or low angles, could be steered off from the helmet with this device.

Sounds like an considerable idea imo.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/f1/2009/07/921668

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:30 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I don't think the Windshield would appear in F1 for at least three or four years. It would be hypocrite to introduce it in F1 first and then to the lower formulas, which usually has more of this kind of serious accidents, mostly on national levels. There's twenty-odd F1 cars but then there's hundreds of F3 and other lower classes so the risk is higher. The windshield should be therefore designed for the other FIA series at the same time. Or that's how I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:52 pm 

I cannot put in my mind Todt will be an impartial president. It's simply impossible to me.

Not that Vatanen will necessarily be, but Todt had been already involved in some rather strange events (Austria 02).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:30 am 

verde20074 wrote:
I cannot put in my mind Todt will be an impartial president. It's simply impossible to me.

Not that Vatanen will necessarily be, but Todt had been already involved in some rather strange events (Austria 02).

And Indy 2005 becuase he didn't go to any meetings.

When will Mosley officialy leave office of president?