Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:44 am 

yes, another dirty scandal.... read this
Quote:
F1 probe race-fixing over Nelson Piquet Singapore crash

By Mirror Sport 31/08/2009
The FIS has launched an investigation into allegations of race-fixing at last year's Singapore Grand Prix.
Brazilian TV has claimed officials are studying events surrounding Nelson Piquet's crash on lap 14 of the sport's first night race.
The timing was crucial in handing victory to his Renault team-mate, double champion Fernando Alonso, who had just pitted for fuel.
Last night Renault boss Flavio Briatore was not available for comment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:16 am 

Obviously the crash and the resulting safety car was timed almost perfectly for Fernando, but to seriously suggest that Piquet 'took a dive'...? I honestly cannot believe that. That is so much more severe an offence than any other on-track misdemeanor that I can think of that the FIA have punished since about Jerez '97.

Who is seriously going to say to their driver, regardless of how rubbish they are or how desperately they want to win: "right mate, if it's looking good for us after Fernando's first stop, we want you to risk the safety of you, the other drivers, and the specators and marshalls by deliberately binning it in the wall with enough force to bring out a safety car - so your team mate can artifically take the lead of the race"?

I seriously don't want to think that Renault would even contemplate this - let alone be stupid enough to carry it out. It flies in the faces of logic and responsibility... why would they want to smash their own car up? Hopefully we find out more about the details of the investigation, 'cause if these allegations really have any legitimate basis then this probe is of significance to the entire racing community.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:09 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Its a strange issue, as surely Piquet would have spoken out about this after he was sacked unless he was bribed.

The other issue is that on Lap 13, 1 lap after Alonso pitted, Piquet was told by his race engineer to 'Push Nelson' which seems odd as he was so far back with nothing to play for... some are saying that was the code

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:57 am 
Australian - All the animals look so strange

This is up there with people who claim 9/11 was an inside job.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Even if he had to "take a dive", he had to do it perfectly in order to get a SC. And i really don't think Renault would've taken that big of a gamble. It's not IRL when you touch the wall and the yellow comes out.

Oh, by the way, 9/11 WAS an inside job (you can see the explosions, people!) :flag:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 pm 

crash video anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

this was already a rumour after the race, so no big surprise here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

JKF wrote:
crash video anyone?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:26 pm 

Read this on Twitter

@SniffPetrol wrote:
#F1 BREAKING NEWS: FIA to investigate races in which Piquet Jnr "suspiciously did NOT crash"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:26 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gimsai wrote:
Read this on Twitter

@SniffPetrol wrote:
#F1 BREAKING NEWS: FIA to investigate races in which Piquet Jnr "suspiciously did NOT crash"

:lol: Brilliant.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm 

Gimsai wrote:
Read this on Twitter

@SniffPetrol wrote:

:lol: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:52 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

So did this all come from Nelson??? What triggered the FIA to look in to it? He get pissed of an try to stir things or just ironic timing?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:55 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

PAXTON wrote:
Even if he had to "take a dive", he had to do it perfectly in order to get a SC. And i really don't think Renault would've taken that big of a gamble. It's not IRL when you touch the wall and the yellow comes out.

Oh, by the way, 9/11 WAS an inside job (you can see the explosions, people!) :flag:

That sector of the Singapore track IIRC has no immediate car recovery access I remember hearing. You have a grandstand on one side and the water on the other.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

yeh, it's not that hard to pick a spot wich will cause a safety car, especially on a street circuit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 am 

I'd like to know what suddenly (after nearly a year...) has caused the investigation before making a presumption. It does seem silly that Renault would fix a race in the 14th lap. But the investigation coincides with the sacking of NPJnr and his outburst about the team. If he is the source approaching the FIA in confidence then I would have to say it could turn in to a huge scandal.

I'm surprised it's kind of being handled so quietly with no flare up leading to the investigation (as if they have been internally tipped off as arrangements have changed with NPJnr now not at Renault).

So very interesting.

I'd be annoyed if the the source causing the investigation was a betting agency as the FIA hasn't said much when it could just say due to concerns from betting agencies or financial parties.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:31 am 

Excuse the double, but i was just reading Regiotap's quote about Ecclestone's statements on this investigation.

Bernie wrote:
"If the investigation finds out that that is what happened then I think there is going to be a lot of trouble," he said. "You hear of these things happening with jockeys and in football and it has led to all sorts of trouble, hasn't it?

"If it is true then it is a very serious situation. But it could just be a rumour and Nelson is just annoyed that he has been fired."

Does that not hint that the source is NPJnr? And that the investigation aims to seek whether NPJnr is pulling one over the team unfairly due to anger or whether he is telling the truth?

I have only read Regiotap's quote so I do not know if they are snippets of a larger statement put together in a fashion that can be viewed in the incorrect context.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
Renault probe deeper than Singapore

Problems for team

Sep.2 (GMM) The FIA's investigation into Renault runs even deeper than the sensational rumour that Nelson Piquet was told to crash on purpose during the 2008 Singapore grand prix.

The Independent newspaper in Britain quoted a source within the sport's governing body as saying "other issues above and beyond Singapore are also to be looked at".

The investigations reportedly began at Spa-Francorchamps last weekend, with engineering boss Pat Symonds and Fernando Alonso among "senior Renault figures" interviewed multiple times, the source added.

The Daily Express newspaper, reporting that team boss Flavio Briatore was also interviewed by a lawyer in Belgium, said Renault executives have already denied the Piquet claims to the FIA.

"Several other engineering staff were also questioned", the newspaper added, while "data and transmission recordings have been removed for examination".

Two men historically close to the French owned team however have questioned whether the race-fixing rumours are true.

Denis Chevrier left the team over the winter, but he was still Renault's engine chief in Singapore last year.

"In my personal capacity I did not have knowledge of the strategy during the 2008 grand prix of Singapore," he told French radio RMC, "but I can ensure you that if this is true then it was in radical opposition to the attitude of Renault."

From a driver's perspective, Franck Montagny - a Renault F1 tester earlier this decade - said he "did not believe" the claims could be true.

"Even when you are asked to let someone pass it is annoying," he said, "but to be made to deliberately have an accident is really something else."

Montagny called the rumours "science fiction" and doubted that Briatore could have asked one of his drivers to crash.

"Not even in a dream," the Frenchman said in an interview with 20minutes.fr. "Nobody can give instructions like that; I've never heard anything like that in formula one."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I'd like to see the onboard footage from Piquet when he crashes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:10 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

it doesn't exist

OMG, THAT MEANS THE FIA AND FOM MUST BE INVOLVED TOO :ohmy:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:22 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member