TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Do you want Kimi to retire at the end of this season?
Yeah, he sucks now 19%  19%  [ 14 ]
No, he will comeback on top form 59%  59%  [ 43 ]
I don't care 22%  22%  [ 16 ]
Total votes: 73
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:05 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I dont like him to retire its to early. Probbably 2011-2012 wudnt be bad time to retire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:13 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I was fan of him until this season but actually i don't really care to see him or not the next season... It's not just only because he's not as good as Hamilton and Massa this year but also because of his behaviour out of the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It would be a shame to lose his talent on the track.

I think it would be a good idea to wait till next year so after all he would be able to enjoy himself bit more with the new regs and allow him more freedom of what he wants to do on the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

rubmifer wrote:
JJ wrote:
Being beated by Massa it's not good reputation, he must be embarassed

I don't think that's prety fair. Yes massa made quite some mistakes in the past, but he is proving to be a worthy F1 champion now in my opinion.

I think Michael is driving Massa'a car by remote from the pits and Jean is driving Kimi's.

I dont want Kimi to retire after this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No, I still think he can bounce back and win the title, if not this season he will at least bea contender for next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 pm 
I hope he sticks around for a couple more years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who cares. If he leaves so be it. If he stays and is beaten by Massa who the media billed up as someone he should thrash it'll hit his reputation.

TBH this season has just shown he isnt as good as i previously thought he was. Same goes for kovalainen also. He will never beat Hamilton unless he breaks his leg a la Schuie 99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Remember it is Kovalainens first year in Mclaren, and his second year only in F1. Yes, Hamilton is better than him, but Hamilton is better than most drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:12 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

In answer to the question: no, obviously lol. Even he doesn't want to retire at the end of this year, he said he always honours his contracts and will see it through to end of 2009. After that, we'll see :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:49 pm 

i voted NO bcoz i think their is no lack of motivation or efforts from his side.

I feel prob is tyres .. probably same in nick's state ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:55 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Kimi in his Valencia review column wrote:
Life would be much easier if you could always win. But sometimes it doesn't seem to go your way - whatever you try.

That's what happened to me in the last couple of races and it's not so nice. But it's not over yet. I'll keep fighting to get the results I want to achieve. One third of the season is still left and it's enough to fight back.

Obviously I would have never expected that all these street circuit races would so badly hurt our campaign to win the world championship again.

We had the first DNF in Melbourne, however we gained one point still. Then we hit that bump in Monaco and crashed into another car. In Montreal we had a good race pace but had to retire after the collision in the pit exit. This weekend we lost the engine in Valencia.

I went to the European Grand Prix with a good feeling. It's always great to have a race in a new place. Friday practise was good, I had a good feeling in the car. But Saturday was a little bit cooler and we struggled again in qualifying. We should have been more aggressive.

Obviously there has been a lot of talk about my qualifying problems. But in Hungary I just went wide in my final lap in Q3. Without that we would have easily been third. Then after that we got fourth place in Valencia, and after that I already knew the race was going to be difficult.

At the start you would need almost a miracle to get to the top from fourth place on the grid or further behind. We started from the worse side. Heikki had better grip and passed us. After that it was me against him for fourth place.

When you get stuck behind somebody, it's nothing but a struggle to try and attack towards better positions. The leader gains one second every lap - that's how it's been in the last few races for us.

We fought to get fourth place, but the only opportunity was, obviously, at the last pit stop. We went there one after the other, but I made a mistake. I left too early and one of our mechanics hurt himself. Of course, you hope something like that never happens. Luckily, Pietro is mainly okay. His toe was broken but it's not taking too long to heal. It's nothing serious and I hope that he'll be back at the track with us very soon.

After the stop we dropped to sixth place on the grid, and at the end of the day it would have been better than nothing, but then the engine blew. Without any warning. Suddenly we came from a corner and felt something was wrong. Then the smoke came out.

We knew we had to take a risk for Valencia and we did not finish the race. It's a shame, but it's useless to grieve over that. The result will stay and it's time to just look ahead. Now we have a test in Monza, and then comes Spa.

I love that circuit and, obviously, I would love to race there for the whole year long. Spa is the best of all the circuits and hopefully we can finally get the car working to the way I want it to work.

We go to Spa to win it again. If somebody has doubts concerning my motivation, let them doubt. One thing I can tell is, that right now I am more motivated than ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Voted no, but I'm not sure he'll comeback at full 2003-2006 form again. I just want to see what he can do with the new regs cars next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:41 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Something has happened after Silverstone, but just 3 consecutive mediocre weekends doesn´t make him ready for retirement.

He was in the maximum attack during first part of the season. There were just 2 or 3 weekends when he wasn´t in the fight for wins. Now, when the autumn arrives and the fast tracks and unpredictable-weather-venues are in sight, I´m confident he´s going to win races again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:46 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I hope he stays, I wanna see how he will be with the new rules, slick tyres and all the changes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:34 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Jyllenberg wrote:
Something has happened after Silverstone, but just 3 consecutive mediocre weekends doesn´t make him ready for retirement.

In an Q&A with Domenicali, he reveals that it's mainly understeer in the F2008 that's causing Kimi problems:
KRS wrote:
Q: What's his problem ?
Domenicali: "He's not happy with the way the cars steers into corners. He would like to have it more aggresively. And this is having an influence on him. It's up to us to continue helping him out."

Combined with his own qualy issue of getting everything together for one lap, tyre heat/grip etc, this explains why it's been such a problem. Kimi loves oversteer. This is well known. Massa prefers understeer. Kimi's been alright in qualy considering but in Hungary (and Hockenheim in particular as we saw on tv he was all over the place) for example he ran wide a few times in the final sector, which is probably why that final qualy lap just never gets right for him. Along with the cool temperatures we've been having on Saturdays, there's really been a lot against him in the car. He chooses to go considerably heavier because that's the only way he can sort of balance these issues out. It sucks for the chance to win but it's the only way he can be comfortable for the race and score some points at least. I really hope the next few races go well for him. It really has nothing to do with his motivation. It's seriously a complex issue that's hard to solve and that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:49 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I would like to see Sebastian Vettel or Fernando Alonso driving a Ferrari, they both deserve the seat. Kimi was supposed to be undoubtly no1 of Ferrari, he should be half a second quicker than Massa in a single lap, but he is driving slow. Maybe it's lack of motivation or Felipe Massa becoming a phenomenal driver but I can't believe that.

Vettel is huge talented driver, he's only 21 years old and is owning his teammate, a 4-time Champ Car Champion. Meanwhile, Alonso is also very fast, a double world champion and has a lot of experience. But in the past he critisized Ferrari too much so it's a bit difficult to see him driving a red car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:58 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Last year he was in a bit of a down patch and everybody was umm-ing and ahh-ing about whether Kimi would be a championship contender, he ended up winning the thing. Just barely.

Whether his downturn in form is due to the car not suiting his style or just sick of F1 is pure conjecture. If the thought of leaving F1 has crossed Kimi's mind, he should plan when to leave, otherwise the thought is just going to keep rolling through his mind. He's been in F1 for 8 years, I don't blame him wanting to have a go at something else.

I'd love to see him try his hand at rallying. Although, it would be a bit of a risk to throw away a grand opportunity to be driving for Ferrari at the peak of your F1 career, instead spending a couple of years driving around in a Ford Focus only to find out you're not very good at it. Then imagine trying to knock at the F1 door and going "Sorry, left me coat behind. Can I come back?"

Kimi leaving F1 would certainly stir the pot in the driver market, with Seb Vettel, Bob Kubica and Fernando Alonso the most obvious choices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As Ferrari supporter Im disappointed with Kimi's performance so far in our team. Yet I will wait to see him in 09 spec car and then if nothing changes I would replace him with Kubica for 2010 :whistling: Hopefully, Raikkonen will be able deliver Japan 05 performance again .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:01 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

FordTeamRS wrote:
Kimi leaving F1 would certainly stir the pot in the driver market, with Seb Vettel, Bob Kubica and Fred Alonso the most obvious choices.

fixed :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:07 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Schumack wrote:
As Ferrari supporter Im disappointed with Kimi's performance so far in our team.

So one WDC in one season isn´t enough :?