PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:54 pm 
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72820

Handing over to Whitmarsh

A phrase used too often perhaps, but it's the end of an era for McLaren

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:56 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

Not unexpected I think.

Didn't he already say last year that if Hamilton were to be champion, he would step down?

Making abstraction of my dislike towards McLaren in contemporary times, I have to admit Dennis was a crucial factor in the success they have known in all these decades.
Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:57 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

JB-F1 wrote:
but it's the end of an era for McLaren

Indeed it is. :(

Thanks Ron for everything!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:00 pm 
Australian - All the animals look so strange

Looks like his focus will be more on the factory side now. He said he will only attend some of the races. He's not retiring, so I assume he'll take a leadership role with the factory somehow?

Don't know about Whitmarsh taking the role. I know he's next in line, but I don't know about him running the team. Maybe it's something fresh that McLaren needs in the climate they compete in and the image they receive.

EDIT: Excuse rudeness. Congrats Ron on a solid time at the top and pulling the team through good and bad times. And not giving in to the pressure that was applied.

Last edited by ixnay on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:01 pm 

Shame that but can understand. Whitmarsh has been molded in to him anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:07 pm 
ixnay wrote:
Don't know about Whitmarsh taking the role. I know he's next in line, but I don't know about him running the team. Maybe it's something fresh that McLaren needs in the climate they compete in and the image they receive.

He's been there for 20 years as head of operations, and he's been doing a lot more of the running of the team lately anyway. No big deal. He'll do a fine job

This has been rumoured for a while, but I'm glad he's gone now on top after Lewis had come through to take the title after the battles he has faced with the FIA and Ferrari over the last couple of years. It's the perfect time and he has realised that, so good on him

Probably one of the greatest team principals we've ever seen. He brought McLaren from the doldrums on 1980 to dominance in 84, bringing them back to dominance again in 88, then again in 98 after the bleak mid 90s, and again in 07. He will also go down as the man who brought Prost, Senna, Hakkinen and Lewis to the fore, 4 great world champions

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 pm 

Thanks for everything Ron, almost 30 years commanding Mclaren.
Good luck to Martin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can't be bothered to see him leave. But than again he and Mclaren and Ron are almost synonymous with each other. Withmarsh has enough experience IMO to take over.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 pm 

I think it's just more me not being a huge Martin Whitmarsh fan. I understand he is qualified. I just dislike the idea of him being the team principal of McLaren after Ron Dennis carved his reputation and personality quite interestingly and amusingly for fans for so long. It's just changing times and I'll get used to it. I also liked that he annoyed the FIA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:16 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sad news.

Mclaren=Ron Dennis and Ron Dennis=Mclaren.
Although I expect Withmarsh will do a great job for the team, he has a lot of experience within the team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not a big change imo. Mclaren should perform the same either with Dennis or Withmarsh in charge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:31 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

JB-F1 wrote:
Probably one of the greatest team principals we've ever seen. He brought McLaren from the doldrums on 1980 to dominance in 84, bringing them back to dominance again in 88, then again in 98 after the bleak mid 90s, and again in 07. He will also go down as the man who brought Prost, Senna, Hakkinen and Lewis to the fore, 4 great world champions

He does have one hell of a resumé. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:39 pm 

With the goodbye of Ron,the big part of the history of F1goes off too.
Thanks Ron for your work,ialways be Schumi/Ferrari fan but i admirate you work in Mclaren.

Thanks Ron Dennis!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PAXTON wrote:
Not a big change imo. Mclaren should perform the same either with Dennis or Withmarsh in charge.

Although I will miss Ron speak.. :lol:
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ronspeak.php :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Possibly the most successful F1 team principal in terms of statistics (10 drivers' titles, 7 constructors' titles, 138 wins), and certainly one of the most prolific figures in F1 history. He has served the McLaren name with total professionalism.

There is a big part of me that wants him to run against Mosely this year just to rile him up one more time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:00 pm 

Sad to see Dennis go because he is all i've known as McLaren :(
But on da flipside Whitmarsh is a good guy and will do well for the team. I think McLaren are in good hands with him. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

He's done an amazing job at McLaren, will be sad not to see him on the pitwall.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:37 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

jdh wrote:
He's done an amazing job at McLaren, will be sad not to see him on the pitwall.

Though he will not be at every race anymore, he did announce that he would be present at some. I'm glad about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:41 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Quote:
He was one of the staff people in F1 that I sympathized with the most. The late 90s/early 00s when Ferrari supported blatant team orders yet McLaren allowed their second drivers the occasional wins, made McLaren likeable to me at the time and he was the man in charge. Honesty was Ron's and McLaren's selling point to the fans, and at times it even seemed to backfire as they tried too hard to keep it. Some events, particularly the 2007 spying scandal and some complaints from drivers, do make you wonder whether it was all an act - I however like to think some of it was genuine.

He was of course not without some other flaws. His goofy, robotic way of speaking made him object of jokes, his perfectionism helped lead McLaren and F1 into a boring, corporate, cold soul. But less about his character and more about his success:

Like him or not, there is no way you can deny the man achieved fantastic things in F1. Started his career as a mechanic, bought a midfield team in 1981 as Marlboro Project Four, and since that season, led McLaren to more WDCs than any other team (10 against Ferrari's and Williams' 6 each), and to 7 WCCs (Ferrari got 10, Williams got 8). He also leaves a sustainable team for the future: McLaren have manufacturer backing, have the reigning world drivers champion, are a team experiencing a revival after a slump in the mid-2000s, and have a well prepared successor in helm.

Compare him to other team principals of the same generation/era and he pretty much has achieved more than any other. Won the championships I've mentioned, did not let the team die like the Brabhams, Lotuses and Tyrrells, sold his team's soul to a manufacturer but managed to keep the teams name unlike the Benettons and BARs, and always managed to bounce back from any slumps, not letting the team go into a downhill path without future like Williams. In fact I believe his corporate perfectionism is the reason why McLaren haven't gone the same path. It was a matter of survival. And his character doesn't damage the fact he was a pure racer - something we really miss in F1 nowadays.

All of that is more than enough "contribution to F1". And add to that being vocal against Max Mosley - someone needs to keep in check that man's crazy ideas.

He was the kind of guy that will still be remembered in 25 years time, like Colin Chapman for example, although that man had different merits of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Saw this coming. Yet, Dennis has always been the leading character in F1 circles so it's somehow sad to go on without him. But rimes change and luckily there are Briatore and Williams reminding us of the past. At least Dennis decided to step aside while still being at the top of his career.