TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: F1 Live Stream in 2009??
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:49 pm 

This was an interesting article in F1Fanatic this morning which raised a lot of questions because it pertains to me personally.

At the moment, I attend a small school in Kentucky. Our cable programming does not include SPEEDTV (the ONLY station that airs F1 in the US) which leaves me with little options to watch my beloved sport. Since I have been at college, I have discovered more about our "underground world of F1" and alternative ways to watch.

But in 2006, I didnt know about these things. I simply watched the numbers change on F1's live timing feed. In 2007, a friend sent me race tapes via DVD and VHS which were sometimes a week delayed which took all the fun out of watching the races because I knew what happened and who had won.

This past year, I discovered the wonders of ITV streams on the web. Some were more stable then others and didnt work all of the time but it worked enough to get me by and I was able to watch every race at some point or another (be it live or delayed by a few hours)

But now that the BBC has the F1 rights and will most certainly stream it on BBC's iPlayer...whats going to happen? Here is the article from F1Fanatic.

I'm not terribly technically proficient as far as complex computer programming and all that but anyone want to shed some light on other possibilities or should I invest in a slingbox and strap it to the TV back home?

Quote:
With F1 moving to the BBC in 2009, fans in the UK should be able to use the iPlayer to watch live F1 action next year.

But anyone trying to watch F1 on iPlayer from outside Britain may find it more difficult than when ITV first broadcast F1 online this year.

The BBC’s contract to show F1 only gives them the right to show it within Britain. That includes online broadcasts, and the iPlayer has restrictions built in to stop people overseas watching F1 and other programming on it.

Inevitably since iPlayer was launched (one year ago this week) it has been subject to repeated attempts to hack it. As F1 is not broadcast live in many other countries, and most have to watch it with frequent advertising interruptions, there is likely to be a great demand for iPlayer hacks among F1 fans next year.

Last year it was not difficult to find sites re-broadcasting ITV’s F1 coverage online for foreign viewers. But iPlayer seems to be a tougher proposition from a technical point of view - and that’s before one considers the legal and copyright implications which may make

How can I watch BBC F1 outside the UK?

British F1 fans heading abroad who want to be able to watch live F1 on the BBC have a couple of options.

The most dependable would be to purchase a Slingbox. This allows you to broadcast your home television directly to another computer across the internet.

Providing your home internet connection upload speed is fast enough (at least 256kbps) this is probably the most reliable solution available. It’s not free, of course, a basic Slingbox will set you back around £70.

There are dedicated services such as Thetelly which claim to offer subscription-based access to British television programmes from abroad. But I’ve no experience of using them so I can’t vouch for their quality or reliability.

How can I watch iPlayer outside the UK?

BBC’s iPlayer seems to be a much more sophisticated solution to whatever ITV were using to limit online F1 coverage to the UK only. But there are some ways around it.

Using remote access

If you’re a British fan heading abroad you could leave your home machine on and connect to it from abroad using a remote connection service such as LogMeIn or GoToMyPC.

Using a UK proxy

You can use a UK proxy to view iPlayer. Sites listing UK proxies can be found easily on Google, and you will then have to configure your internet connection to use the proxy - here’s how to configure a proxy using Internet Explorer. Here are some more details on how to achieve this using Firefox.

Dan D, who’s helped out on the Grand Prix Live Blogs this year, offered these thoughts on using UK proxies to watch iPlayer abroad:

UK proxy server sites (like this one) can be used but they appear to be pretty sketchy, in terms of the security risk you take on if you use them. Not only do most require membership and thus some degree of personally identifiable information, but potentially they will harvest more of your info once you are connected. Some are undoubtedly more trustworthy than others, but it’s hard to know which are which.

Free, smaller-scale sites (like this one) could also work in theory, but this one explicitly excludes the BBC iPlayer. It seems users used to be able to view iPlayer material but it consumed too much bandwidth so they cut it out. Likewise, this one is free and seems reputable but does not handle streaming content.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:05 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Good :p

Using I-player means there are less johnny foreigners stealing the bandwidth so it won't (hopefully) lag for us brits.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It will be hacked anyway . It is just a matter of time :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:19 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

JasonS wrote:

Using I-player means there are less johnny foreigners stealing the bandwidth so it won't (hopefully) lag for us brits.

*must resist to post that smiley*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:01 pm 

JasonS wrote:

Seriously???? Its easy to criticize the rest of us when you have the access to F1 that you do. Now imagine someone took that away from you!!

For those NOT familiar with SPEEDTV. They do NOT broadcast FP1, they DO broadcast FP2. Qualifying is delayed by almost 15 minutes so using live timing in addition to qualifying on the TV is useless. The race broadcast has 30 minutes of prerace grid walk, the race (with a million commercials) and a very small bit of the post race interviews. That is ALL America sees of F1. No hour and a half long pre-race stuff, no post race comments. When its done, its done. And as a reminder, not all of us even have access to SPEEDTV.

The closest race to the US is now probably the Silverstone...we have no regular access to F1. Now again, criticize those of us that have to snag your feeds when what we get over here is so pathetic. I wish I could say I’m sorry for screwing you, but I’m not. If you were in my position, you would do the exact same thing. End of story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm 
Boohoo

We only had practice last year for the first time, and before that most just followed via TBK. No one complained. Nobody really cares that much about it

There is a reason why it's restricted to British people - they've paid a lot of money for exclusive rights for this country, not for foreigners to come in and steal the bandwidth, as Jason said

Stop complaining, you have a lot more coverage than Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:29 pm 

JB-F1 wrote:

When Bernie takes the Australian, Malaysian, Singapore, Chinese and Japanese races away and gives you no options to follow, then come back here and tell me its all fine and dandy. Until then, its not fair and yes, people do care. You may not. But a lot of us do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:35 pm 

is it fair for a channel funded by the british public at a cost of £139.50 to be made available to any contry for free

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:44 pm 
jumpjock wrote:
JB-F1 wrote:

When Bernie takes the Australian, Malaysian, Singapore, Chinese and Japanese races away and gives you no options to follow, then come back here and tell me its all fine and dandy. Until then, its not fair and yes, people do care. You may not. But a lot of us do.

That's got nothing to do with what coverage you get. Australians don't even get races live

king_hiro wrote:
is it fair for a channel funded by the british public at a cost of £139.50 to be made available to any contry for free

Exactly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:48 pm 

No. Never said it was fair. But do I not have a valid point? The FIA and FOM screw us all. Forget for a second where you live and put yourself in my shoes or the MILLIONS like me.

You do NOT have an F1 race to see at any point during a season within 5,000 miles of you. You do NOT have access to watch F1 on a TV. What would you do? I'm honestly curious what you would do...read the poorly designed BBC webpage or the newspaper the next day? Imagine reading (and not watching) about the last few laps at Interlagos this year. I would be willing to bet that ALL of you in this forum, for the simple fact that you're here, are taking advantage of F1, F1 photographers or the TV rights held by FOM. You are hypocritical to even point a finger at me and say "bastard for stealing our bandwidth." I say boohoo to you! You have the access. I would GLADLY pay Bernie to see my 5th live F1 race or to have an F1 channel to watch. But I dont have the option. Case in point, you can all say that the leachers are bad people and we're taking advantage of your channel rights, but under the same circumstances, I challenge you to find an alternative.

I'm not trying to start arguments, I'm just an extremely frustrated American F1 fan who simply put, wants to watch F1 and not have to wait days to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:52 pm 
jumpjock wrote:
Forget for a second where you live and put yourself in my shoes or the MILLIONS like me.

Holy exaggeration batman

Quote:
You do NOT have an F1 race to see at any point during a season within 5,000 miles of you. You do NOT have access to watch F1 on a TV. What would you do?

1) I wouldn't bother going, since I don't anyway

2) I'd pay for Speed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

We understand your problem, but you can't just expect to get services that we pay for for free.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Schumifan wrote:
We understand your problem, but you can't just expect to get services that we pay for for free.

Precisely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

+1

BBC charge UK residents £120+ a year for a licence to be able to watch TV so it's not as if they are going to allow people who don't pay free access to their services. Like JB-F1 said, pay for Speed and all sorted. If I want to watch Nascar, Indycar, even WTCC I pay for Satallite TV. Job done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:01 pm 

I don't understand complaining about SPEED's F1 coverage, they do a good job and I think we need to chill a bit. Getting F1 coverage is not a right, it's a privilege, and I'm sorry that your experience has been less than satisfactory. However, something *will* emerge inevitably that allows you to follow the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:25 pm 
The irony is that ITV may be using iPlayer themselves soon if this article is anything to go by

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:26 pm 

JB-F1 wrote:
jumpjock wrote:
Forget for a second where you live and put yourself in my shoes or the MILLIONS like me.

Holy exaggeration batman

Quote:
You do NOT have an F1 race to see at any point during a season within 5,000 miles of you. You do NOT have access to watch F1 on a TV. What would you do?

1) I wouldn't bother going, since I don't anyway

2) I'd pay for Speed

1) Its not that much of an exaggeration considering the F1's global audience.

2) I'd love to pay for SPEED, and I do at home. But at college, I don't have that option.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:30 pm 
jumpjock wrote:
1) Its not that much of an exaggeration considering the F1's global audience.

It is a huge exaggeration. It's highly likely 99.99999% of F1 fans watch it via the TV. There are probably only a handful that can't

Quote:
2) I'd love to pay for SPEED, and I do at home. But at college, I don't have that option.

From what I've heard, a lot of universities don't allow internet streaming. So there's a possibility that I won't be able to watch much motorsport at all next year. Welcome to the real world

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:43 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

To the Belgian members who use digital TV:

from what I read, in the UK, you can press the red button and follow all sessions live via that channel. Since I have a red button on my remote control too, would that possibly work in Belgium too? 8O

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:roll: