TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2943 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1142 143 144 145 146148 Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:33 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

According to "La Stampa", Carlos Slim, 2nd richest person in the world (Watch this), is the new owner of Honda F1 Team.

The drivers will be Jenson Button and Bruno Senna (so that implies Rubens retirement). Slim has bought the team with a symbolic prize of 1 dollar.

I also don't know a word of Italian, but spanish newspaper MARCA talks about this (link) :p

Another news from same website: Spanish TV "La Sexta", the new F1 Broadcaster in Spain, will pay 6.000.000 € to Fernando Alonso for making some special reports with him 8O Link

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:34 pm 
The most anticipated member

There are no limits to Carlos Slim Helu...owner of Televisa, Telmex (who bought brazilian Embratel some years ago - its greatest rival, but unfortunately Embratel lost the battle and Telmex remained the strongest in Latin America), owner of Corona, owner of ex-Brazilian Kaiser beers, etc....Now he bought a Formula One team....There are no limits to this guy, he wants Mexico to be Latin America's best Country at any costs, in the sports, in the media, in the commerce, etc. At least he kept Senna in the wheel...but the first opportunity to put two mexican drivers in the cars, he will do that. It's just a matter of time to Salvador Durán grab the F1 steering wheel, a driver that in my opinion doesn't have talent, he's all marketing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:48 pm 

J.Morelli wrote:
There are no limits to Carlos Slim Helu...owner of Televisa, Telmex (who bought brazilian Embratel some years ago - its greatest rival, but unfortunately Embratel lost the battle and Telmex remained the strongest in Latin America), owner of Corona, owner of ex-Brazilian Kaiser beers, etc....Now he bought a Formula One team....There are no limits to this guy, he wants Mexico to be Latin America's best Country at any costs, in the sports, in the media, in the commerce, etc. At least he kept Senna in the wheel...but the first opportunity to put two mexican drivers in the cars, he will do that. It's just a matter of time to Salvador Durán grab the F1 steering wheel, a driver that in my opinion doesn't have talent, he's all marketing.

Well, in fact, the Telvisa owner is Emilio Azcárraga Jean (another billionairse...Who raced the Carerra Panamericana this year). Too bad it isn't Slim because he would put at least a little bit of sport (besides football...And boxng, which is good).

And for Corona is Grupo Modelo.

He will probably not put a Mexican driver unless he has the level to race F1. Salvador is not a marketing driver...Here the people don't have the fucking idea of who Salvador Durán is (unfortunately) except for the auto racing fans. And if a lot of us had a lot of hopes with him is because he was the British F3 Nationa Champion and he then was superb in A1! He was 19 when he got his first podium and he also on twce..He did lead the championship! And then he won he Daytona 24 Hours (this was very celebrated remembering that probably the best ever Daytona driver has been a Mexican whose name is in the turn 1).

He is not bad, he deserved to be on the top 6 this World Series season but different situations couldn't let him do that.

But he is deffinitely not a Pedro Dniz or Alex Yoong.

Anyway I think that his only possibility of him racing F1 would be havng another Word Series year and finishing in he tp 3 YES OR YES and then maybe in 2010, but my hopes go more for Sergio Pérez 2010-2011.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:02 pm 

I have followed all World Series by Renault races this year, and with the support he had of Telmex Racing, he should have won the championship with leftovers. Fabio Carbonne with not too much resources gave him a driving class and reached in the third position in the championship. And the first opportunity, Slim is arranged to put him the F1 wheel, without any doubts. I believe Durán is staying one more year in WS, will become Telmex F1 test driver, and then reach one of the seats for 2010, possibly with Sérgio Perez in the second seat. That's why I think 2009 will be a fire test for both Senna and Button.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:08 pm 
He'd be stupid to get rid of Button, and he backs Senna already. I think he'll want to keep these 2 for as long as he can

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It won't be long until a shitty mexican driver gets a ride in this team.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

People said that about Force India, so far we're still waiting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:26 pm 
The day of the pay driver is dead. We only have 1 on the grid now (Nakajima). Even a hard up team like Aguri didn't resort to pay drivers in their last 2 years. I can't see why Slim would compromise what will be his own investment (if he does buy the team) by sticking in mediocre/rubbish drivers because of their nationality. He has enough money to fund the team

Him taking over is probably the best scenario for the team except for poor old Rubens. If Prodrive were to take over, they'd need sponsorship. They'd be far more likely to stick in a British or Middle Eastern driver for sponsorship reasons than the 2nd richest man in the world

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:30 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

And even Kazuki has shown a fair slice of talent even if he was pushed to the top of the list by Toyota.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.carlosslim.com/index.html

Place to watch for an announcement?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:50 pm 
ryan86 wrote:
And even Kazuki has shown a fair slice of talent even if he was pushed to the top of the list by Toyota.

Yeah but he shouldn't be in F1. Nico wasn't at his best and easily beat him this year. Kazuki was lucky to get the results he did

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:12 pm 

J.Morelli wrote:
I have followed all World Series by Renault races this year, and with the support he had of Telmex Racing, he should have won the championship with leftovers. Fabio Carbonne with not too much resources gave him a driving class and reached in the third position in the championship. And the first opportunity, Slim is arranged to put him the F1 wheel, without any doubts. I believe Durán is staying one more year in WS, will become Telmex F1 test driver, and then reach one of the seats for 2010, possibly with Sérgio Perez in the second seat. That's why I think 2009 will be a fire test for both Senna and Button.

Yes, the team was sooo goood that they put Salvador slick tyres on a wet Monaco qualy...When Durán was the fastest! Oh...Of course he qualifiedin the last spots and it is impossible to pass...

The team was sooo good that when Salvador won Nurburgring, the got DSQed because hey put last year's 1st gear!!

Yes, we also have to add that Durán DID do his own mistakes like crashing in Barcelona when 2nd...Before starting!! He could just post the fastest lap in the 2nd race.

If you addall of that and more mistakes that have happened like that, he surely would've been much better.

But surely, Durán is so bad that he has won Monza, Silverstone and Nurburgring...And has been a podium finisher at Monaco and Spa (twice). Shitty shitty tracks...Al of us can do it, can't we?

He is s bad that he has won A1GP races and one of the 3 most important endurance races...

Anyway, it looks like Durán will be going to Indy Car next year and not even with TELMEX.

The team's policies wouldn't be as you all think. Carlos Slim Domit has said on several occassions that the reason why Escudería TELMEX was created in 2000 was to support the Mexican drivers in the best possible series and to take one from the feeder series up to F1.

Slim Somit has said that they could've had a Mexican F1 team since some years ago (and there is no doubt about it) for 2 Mexicans but that is not the purpose. The purpose is not to pay a Mexican an F1 seat (they would've already done it), but to open them the doors through the feeder series and spport them to F1 ONLY IF they have the level to compete.

Id they don't have he level to compete, they won't be there. But believe me, in less than 10 years, a Mexican will win a GP (I think he won't be a Telmex driver, though).

I just hope Button can be 6th-7thy on a race and for the second time, 6 drivers ahead of him retire and he wns, like in Hungary...And we can hear the Mexican Ntional Anthem :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:14 pm 

Gaara wrote:
http://www.carlosslim.com/index.html

Place to watch for an announcement?

Probably, or maybe http://www.escuderiatelmex.com .

If anythingis anounced before in México, I will let you all know :thumbsup:

Last edited by daallo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Address not found :o

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:18 pm 

I missed the "l" :whistling:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whoops :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:26 am 

It's everywhere in the news here, but still being mentioned as unofficial!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:17 am 

Afterall, Carlos Slim is "copero y peleador", he started as a Taxi driver and today is almost the owner of Latin American continent, he buys everything he sees ahead and makes Rupert Murdoch's empire look like a kids toy. His fortune is something astonishing, more than 90% of the mexican GDP.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:37 am 

Yeah that's true. I hope he can reflect that in F1!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:33 pm 
Belgian Waffle.
Belgian Waffle.

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/72582

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2943 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1142 143 144 145 146148 Next