TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
I don´t speak Portuguese, so I don´t understand the context where he said it. Is it justified or splitting hairs?

A bit of both.

The word he used literally translates to "little black man". It doesn't have the weight the N word does, but it does have a demeaning conotation that is indeed racist at the same time it is quite a commonly used word.

There are many racist phrases that are used casually here in Brazil and that is pretty much the case here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Omega wrote:
I don´t speak Portuguese, so I don´t understand the context where he said it. Is it justified or splitting hairs?

This was in an interview and he was talking about the Silverstone crash last year and comparing to Senna v Prost in 1990. The Brazilians can probably help but here's the bit that matters:

Quote:
"The [N word] [Lewis Hamilton] put his car and didn't let him through. Senna didn't do that. Senna went straight on. The [N word] put his car and didn't let Max avoid it. The [N word] let his car there because there was no way two cars could pass in that corner. He was dirty. He got lucky because only Verstappen fucked himself. He was fucking dirty.

The word itself is used coloquially (kind of like "nigga") but it's definitely not the kind of word you want to say in a public statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:04 pm 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

Sounds like justified to me based on amq55s quote. I'm no Lewis fan btw.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, based on that context, the word is both unnecessary and used a little too many times: two trademarks of casual racism.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's not forget how often he used to casually question Senna's sexuality or insult Nigel Mansell's wife. This doesn't even seem like a shock coming from Piquet.

I don't know if Brazil has the same "you can't say anything* these days" subculture as the UK, but it seems like he would be the poster boy for it.

* where "anything" means "casually bigoted stuff that we assume is fine because the target group is already told by society they can't complain"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I honestly don’t get why so much emphasis is put on words, they are just that, words, there are plenty more things in the world that can harm you, but words will only hurt you if you allow them to, and this particular word is openly by the very people claiming to take offence by it (well I assume this is Lewis and other black people that have taken offence, and not white people getting offended on their behalf….).

When I was a kid I was called a short arse, trailer trash, paddy, oddly etc. I didn’t take offence to it. All of these words are now considered highly offensive, it’s a generational thing, the younger generation now openly use the word c**t, when I was a child that was a taboo word nobody dare utter. I don’t particularly get offended by it.

In the UK recently an eleven year old child has had their life ruined because the Police recorded him saying “shorty” to his mate in the playground after school staff called the police, it was logged as a non-crime hate crime and now will go on his record and be recorded in DBS checks for the next six years at least.

For calling someone “shorty”, maybe if there wasn’t so much emphasis put on words, erm you know…

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
me personally find the words he used of quite bad taste and with implied racism, but he is an old man with old men habits, you can even say Piquet is going senile

racism in Brazil is quite subtle if compared to other countries where you see supporters throwing bananas at a football pitch or calling black people monkeys so its quite complicated to legally prosecute someone for racism simply because the legal system doesn't see some cases as a racial offence and that one from Piquet will not even be considered, specially because the subject of the racial slur is not brazilian or lives in Brazil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What I find "funny" about this is that I saw this pop up on places weeks ago and now all of a sudden its big news.
It's almost like the person targeted has a home race coming up

Regardless, Piquet already had this reputation of being a POS cockstain so I wasnt too surprised. And its not like he had a big media presence outside of Brasil before this so its not too hard to cancel him. Which probably is a result of him having a reputation of a POS Cockstain in the first place

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

micha wrote:
What I find "funny" about this is that I saw this pop up on places weeks ago and now all of a sudden its big news.

That, and Bernie blew the whistle on the Mercedes lawyer-to-FIA story you posted a couple of weeks ago.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Internet karma drives our world. Some people probably have a scientific understanding of when and how stuff should be posted to maximize engagement. Currently lurking Reddit, and every other post title now has a voluntary typo or a controversial word/spelling, expertly placed just so that more upset people post and engage with it. It's mental.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:

Regardless, Piquet already had this reputation of being a POS cockstain so I wasnt too surprised. And its not like he had a big media presence outside of Brasil before this so its not too hard to cancel him. Which probably is a result of him having a reputation of a POS Cockstain in the first place

Piquet is living proof that cancel culture does not exist :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have a feeling British media always had a bias against Piquet, probably because of his antics with Mansell. Not a coincidence he is the least celebrated driver among the 3+ times champions. And many of the most influential voices in F1 are British. So, it feels like this blunder came in very handy for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

looks like F1 banned Nelson from F1. I guess this is a first to a former world champion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:43 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

EAS wrote:
I have a feeling British media always had a bias against Piquet, probably because of his antics with Mansell. Not a coincidence he is the least celebrated driver among the 3+ times champions. And many of the most influential voices in F1 are British. So, it feels like this blunder came in very handy for them.

No I think he proved himself a twat long before he was Mansell's team-mate.

Also judging by his comments about Senna's sexuality and too soon comments about his death, there's probably quite a lot of people in Brazil that's over him too

He's just an old guy that can only get his name in the press by doing or saying something contraversial and then railing against the outrage he generates

Speaking of which, how is Bernie doing these days? :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

Apparently defending Putin on tv.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keep on topic please and leave any personal attacks out. Just scream at the screen instead of typing it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ah yeah good ol Bernie, he's still a very good friend of Nelson Piquet

but you can point more bashing from Nelson

-said that Martin Brundle kept himself on the grid because he was a very intimate friend of Tom Walkinshaw
-said that Rubens Barrichello was too slow on longer stints without knowing the perks of the car
-said that Alain Prost befriended other married drivers to seduce their wives
-bashed younger drivers who chose Indycar because it was meant for retirees

there might be other quotes from him because each time they ask him something he blurts it out. In the beggining was funny but today is just sad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:58 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

micha wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Apparently defending Putin on tv.

Fucking Hell, Bernie

Other highlights being Lewis should've "brushed off" Piquets racist words and he wouldn't have cancelled the Russian GP this year

Also the FIA have taken great pains to point out after that interview that Bernie isn't a secret advisor to the new FIA president, so from that I take that he definitely has been pulling his puppet strings and that explains a hell of a lot.

I'm not massively sure when Bernie's opinion on Hamilton changed from "great, he's going to open up the sport to the African market, he's a great asset to my bank balance Formula 1"" to "he's lazy, should retire and all the people that call him racist names he should just ignore and brush it off because it makes the sport look bad when he puts out statements condeming racism..." but we can only be glad he's seemingly more in the shadows these days than at the front and centre of the sport.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Forget n-words. This is way more disgusting. Who would defend one of the worst tyrant and mass murderer of the 21st century? It's like saying "yeah, Hitler was a good guy". :yuk:
Either he's gone totally senile, or, more likely, he thinks the same way as Putin: when you're rich and powerful, it a sign of prestige and doing of the right things, hence you are morally allowed to continue doing what you feel is correct. Even if that includes starting wars.
I'm sure Bernie would have liked to be a dictator himself. Fortunately, being only an F1 dictator he never could do proper harm to anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
https://twitter.com/gmb/status/1542400005729828864

Forget n-words. This is way more disgusting. Who would defend one of the worst tyrant and mass murderer of the 21st century? It's like saying "yeah, Hitler was a good guy". :yuk:
Either he's gone totally senile, or, more likely, he thinks the same way as Putin: when you're rich and powerful, it a sign of prestige and doing of the right things, hence you are morally allowed to continue doing what you feel is correct. Even if that includes starting wars.
I'm sure Bernie would have liked to be a dictator himself. Fortunately, being only an F1 dictator he never could do proper harm to anyone.

I wonder if he worked with Max Mosley for too long :whistling:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62125 Next