TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 719 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
looks like they chopped Red Bull wings this weekend to make this an all mercedes show

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Schumifan wrote:
Best thing is both here and Austria are meant to be Mercedes' weak tracks

Yeah that's what I was thinking. :8:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:46 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Schumifan wrote:
Best thing is both here and Austria are meant to be Mercedes' weak tracks

They'll be 1.2 secs or more ahead at Silverstone and Spa I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

better FIA come up with some gimmicks quickly to penalize mercedes success

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fabs wrote:
That merc is one hell of car.
It’s absolutely on rails.

Should've known the 2020 F1 season was going to be a boring farce. The worst part is they have tons of race performance in reserve. They could easily win by well over a minute if required. But I'm sure we'll hear plenty of radio messages tomorrow from Hamilton about how challenging the race is and "Bono these tires are gone."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:59 pm 

Karan wrote:
Fabs wrote:

Should've known the 2020 F1 season was going to be a boring farce. The worst part is they have tons of race performance in reserve. They could easily win by well over a minute if required. But I'm sure we'll hear plenty of radio messages tomorrow from Hamilton about how challenging the race is and "Bono these tires are gone."

It's Lewis' attempt at being Murray Walker - inject a sense of excitement and unpredictability into a dull predictable race.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
Fabs wrote:

And the great news is: There's plenty more of this in store for 2021 as well. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:03 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
better FIA come up with some gimmicks quickly to penalize mercedes success

Join the 2 Mercs like this -

One driver doing throttle and brakes on the bottom, the other doing steering at the top. They can swap each race

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Which will make it 8 straight years of dominance by 1 team...welp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:21 pm 

I don't even know why the other teams are bothering to turn up these days. That's not me trying to be funny, I legitimately don't know why they keep showing up to a completely fraudulent championship.

The team that is dominating wrote the rules, and now they have created a second team through another corrupt set of dealings.

I presume this is now a show of power from Mercedes. They want people to know that they are the ones controlling the FIA and the championship itself. The Racing Point debacle is confirmation that Mercedes can do whatever they want, and no one, not even the governing body of the sport can stop them.

As I said in the other thread, this is exactly what happened with a certain other championship and it completely destroyed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nah, I don't buy it. There is nothing that makes FIA and Mercedes rhyme as catchy as FIARRARI or similar, so it can't be true.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Nah, I don't buy it. There is nothing that makes FIA and Mercedes rhyme as catchy as FIARRARI or similar, so it can't be true.

FIAMG

I looked up the results and I lol'd. Finally Mercedes are showing exactly what their car is capable of (ironically, this is probably because Tracing Point are thrashing their W10s to the limit because they know that, even with the restrictions in development, the few improvements that are made over the next 18 months are likely to put them back 3 or 4 rows, so they need the points now). Not even the most blinkered fan can now believe the horseshit about Mercedes' tyre wear, or pretend that it affects the result in any way. The gibbering loons such as Croft will be unable to craft any sort of narrative of competition to try and keep viewers engaged.

All of the stakeholders are going to have to face up to reality.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so what will be Liberty reaction if the black cars win all the races with a comfortable margin?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

RtN wrote:
Coldtyre wrote:

FIAMG

I looked up the results and I lol'd. Finally Mercedes are showing exactly what their car is capable of (ironically, this is probably because Tracing Point are thrashing their W10s to the limit because they know that, even with the restrictions in development, the few improvements that are made over the next 18 months are likely to put them back 3 or 4 rows, so they need the points now). Not even the most blinkered fan can now believe the horseshit about Mercedes' tyre wear, or pretend that it affects the result in any way. The gibbering loons such as Croft will be unable to craft any sort of narrative of competition to try and keep viewers engaged.

What can they do, though? I mean it's all well and good talking about how far Mercedes in front and how they're likely to win 95% of the races over the next year and a half. But how can the FIA change that in the short and medium term? They've got the best car, the best driver, the best strategist, the best team. The rule changes are coming up for 2022, and the cars can't be radically changed before then because it would then cost the other teams too much to justify

The more concerning thing for me is that realistically it's going to get to a point where Mercedes are so far ahead, they can switch to concentrating on developing their 2022 car early. We just have to hope they drop the ball like McLaren, Ferrari and BMW in 2008-09

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

can't they simply shove new rules out of the blue to level out competition?

I mean, not to favour another team, but to make Mercedes win less

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:24 pm 

LucasWheldon wrote:

What rules can they put in place, though? Everything's staked on 2022

I appreciate that that definitely would be the way to deal with it - Ferrari were definitely thrown in 2003 and 2005 by the late rule changes. But they came about because Max Mosley was a strong dictatorial FIA president who shoved things through when the teams couldn't agree on a solution themselves. Realising that (via a Bring Back V10s podcast) has made me question just how aligned the FIA and Ferrari were - contrary to popular belief, Mosley knew damn well it would disrupt Ferrari, and that's what he wanted

That's not Todt's style, for better or worse - he's not a dictator and likes to stay in the background. The fact that the team he ran were the victims of both of those late changes to the rules may or may not be a coincidence

I disagreed with the postponement of the rules to 2022. I understood it from a cost perspective, but leaving the teams no time to work on these new cars was the only way it was going to genuinely shake things up. Giving them an extra year just increases tenfold the likelihood that we'll arrive in 2022 and Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull will still be out front

Last edited by James B on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:

not technical rules, but sporting rules like "all cars can do qualifying on new tires bar cars #44 and #77" or "all cars are able to start race with front wings attached bar #44 and #77" and if they complain about safety tell them they have halo and can get away with it

pretty much like the dictatorship F1 was before Bernie gave power to the teams

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

I appreciate that that definitely would be the way to deal with it - Ferrari were definitely thrown in 2003 and 2005 by the late rule changes. But they came about because Max Mosley was a strong dictatorial FIA president who shoved things through when the teams couldn't agree on a solution themselves. Realising that (via a Bring Back V10s podcast) has made me question just how aligned the FIA and Ferrari were - contrary to popular belief, Mosley knew damn well it would disrupt Ferrari, and that's what he wanted

That's not Todt's style, for better or worse - he's not a dictator and likes to stay in the background. The fact that the team he ran were the victims of both of those late changes to the rules may or may not be a coincidence

I disagreed with the postponement of the rules to 2022. I understood it from a cost perspective, but leaving the teams no time to work on these new cars was the only way it was going to genuinely shake things up. Giving them an extra year just increases tenfold the likelihood that we'll arrive in 2022 and Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull will still be out front

In this sense, Mosley's way is really something missed right now. In 1994 rules changed very rapidly both when they wanted to break Williams' dominance and when the safety concerns went to the spotlight. This kind of shakeup would be very welcome now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In other news, Russell was pretty emphatic defending Albon, by saying he is being "made to look an idiot".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

James B wrote:
RtN wrote:

What can they do, though? I mean it's all well and good talking about how far Mercedes in front and how they're likely to win 95% of the races over the next year and a half. But how can the FIA change that in the short and medium term? They've got the best car, the best driver, the best strategist, the best team. The rule changes are coming up for 2022, and the cars can't be radically changed before then because it would then cost the other teams too much to justify

The more concerning thing for me is that realistically it's going to get to a point where Mercedes are so far ahead, they can switch to concentrating on developing their 2022 car early. We just have to hope they drop the ball like McLaren, Ferrari and BMW in 2008-09

Nothing can be done. I wouldn't want anything to be done*. I want this "sport", its owners and its rulemakers to disappear down a plughole and for something else to spring up in its place. SARS 2 has accelerated this process significantly and another 4-5 years of MercedesWinsLOL will only add to it.

*Actually, there is something they could do that might help. Now that the budget cap has been agreed, get rid of every single rule that has been introduced in order to "save money". None of these rules are needed any longer and every single one of them has hurt the contest. Run as many engines as you like. Run as many gearboxes as you like. Make as many setup changes as you like, when you like. Allow teams to bring back T-cars if they want to do so. If an engine only has to last one weekend instead of 7 then it will be flogged for the whole of that weekend and the car will be more difficult to drive at the limit as a result. It will then be more fun to watch a single car go around the track, which has been F1's single biggest problem since the end of the V8s.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 719 Next