TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 13 Next
 Post subject: Re: F1 Classics thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:08 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No wonder the car was doomed. Look at that engine design!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:25 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

only a little worse than the Lotus at the Indy 500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That honestly looks like something someone could make in a garage. I like it, but understand why it was so shit. Would love to see a Cosworth setup from that era

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:25 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:53 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think this is the right thread for this, sorry if it's not

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I recently read a book written by a brazilian journalist who used to attend almost all races from 1989 to 2005 and there's quite an interesting part regarding his relationship with Senna:

Quote:
[...]once in a while, however, we bump at the paddock with no appointment and exchanged a few words without a press officers nearby. Senna lived on a rush and running away from the constant harassment on the short routes between the motorhome and the boxes, or during the arrivals and departures at the tracks. He could get really bothered with the clumsy and unconvenient approach of supporters, generally brazilians who, mostly had sponsors credentials or VIP tickets and wandered freely among journalists, mechanics , engineers and other team staff. The access control of an area that should be only for those working was chaotic and less controlled, quite different from today - tickets are all electronic, there's gates and stewards everywhere and the personnel can work peacefully.

But not in those years. I remember a very weird woman that for years used to wander around the paddocks always wearing black clothes, straw coloured hair, an undefined look, high heels and short skirt. During practice she would spend the whole time in front of McLaren boxes, leaning against a wall until Senna left with his car and then she disappeared. When he returned, she also showed up. On the next day she could had be seen spot, and then walking by McLaren motorhome. Had always a bottom with the yellow helmet on her chest. Weird figure. Never knew her name or nationality. Only referred her as "witch". And she really did look like one.

Senna hated that somebody touched him. And when some random dude appeared wearing a national team or the Banco Nacional cap, or both, wrapped in a brazilian flag, it was piece of cake. They guy used to try some physical contact, wanted to put his arm around his neck, speaked loud and acted miserably. That people srpouted from earth. And, in some races, were really numerous.

The Portuguese GP, at the Estoril, was specially dramatic in particular. Brazilian supporters appeared from every place and they advanced into Senna with great daring and resourcefulness. Made sure to talk to the driver, show how much the knew about his career, demonstrate familiarity and get two personal trophies: a picture and an autograph.

A serious professional and obsessed for his job, Senna got very upset with those people, specially when they went for it - the famous photo hug. There wasn't selfies yet, and the impatient fan, when facing a chance, pulled his camera and gave to whoever was nearby to register the historical moment. After they had the photo development, ordered to enlarge and frame to put in a picture frame on his work desk or in the wall behind him.

Wished the fate of a poor soul like that that whoever was close to Senna at the moment of infrequent approach was me, on that sunny weekend of september, 1991 at the Estoril. We briefly chatted while we walked to the motorhome, was clearing some doubts about anything in the car, nothing important, when a dumb citizen approached screaming and went on grabbing the driver not minimally caring about interrupting the dialogue, while gave me a camera that looked expensive and fancy. "Snap a picture please!", he ordered, without caring about the idol's clear discomfort.

I took the camera, simulated the focus correction and took the pic. But when I went to frame it, I slightly swerved the camera to the right, in a way that only the silly fool appeared, taking Senna of the image. "One more, one more if something bad happens during development!", the idiot shouted, and on the second shot I drove the lens down in a imperceptible way and took a pic of the feet of both. I returned the camera, he took it without thanking, said another bulshit to Senna, gave him a pat on the back - something that he didn't hated more than being overtaken on the track - e following his way full of joy, already picturing the envy he would cause to his to his friends when he arrived in Brazil and get to develop the film.

"Fucking idiot", Ayrton mumbled when the stupid man walked away celebrating like he had scored a goal. "That one gonna hate me for the rest of his life when he went to the photo development", I answered. "What have you done?" Senna asked, already anticipating what was to come. "First, I took a picture of himself only. Then, from the knees down."

Seldom have I seen Senna have so much fun. "You haven't done that!", he said, almost laughing. "Of course I did it, fucking idiot, didn't he realized we were talking? Interrupts others, don't excuse himself, don't say please, fuck him!" And him laughing: "Wow, short guy, you're such a son of a bitch!"

After that episode at the Estoril, similar events happened many other times at several tracks. All it was needed to happen is an opportunity so an idiot showed up out of nowhere asking for a pic and putting a camera in my hand, then Senna knew what he had to do, opened a yellow smile, posed for the photo, I returned the camera and he asked: "What have you taken a pic of today?". And I asked: from the sky, the floor, his belly, the truck door, his racing sneakers, the ridiculous trousers from the fan, and I believe that for some years many Ayrton Senna da Silva fans wanted so much to kill the unknown photographer when they sent to develop their Kodachromes at Fotoptica, Curt* or any other lab. "You are such of a son a bitch", Senna repeated after any demonstration of insolence of his dumb fans. "Be cool that nobody will blame you", I answered. "And they don't know who I am, so fuck it."

*Fotoptica and Curt were picture development labs in Brazil back in the day when people didn't had smartphones

I hope you guys understand because it is my translation haha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:47 am 

20 years ago since the worst PR stunt in F1 history

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

funny that Ford tried to do that in Le Mans and it was perhaps the sole lucky strike of Chris Amon's career

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wonder if they had a pit pass, or could any fan at the track get that kind of access on a Thursday/Friday? Oh to have been a fan in the 70s and 80s...
I remember going to testing at Silverstone years ago, and almost all of the teams closed their garage doors during the lunch break, so you couldn't even see the cars. Best experience I had was with Tom (is he still around?), where we snuck into the Midland F1 garage and they just let us watch the test from there. They even let us sit on the car for photos. Some teams are obviously more fan friendly than others!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racer612008 wrote:

Wow, what a great video! I can't imagine that sort of access today with any paddock pass. Very cool to see the range of technology from all of the modern carbon bonded parts on the good cars down to the radiators just being bolted to the tub on the Coloni.

I also noticed that the cam cover on the Coloni is dated 1976 - that would (I think) make it a DFV part, reused on a more 'modern' DFZ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:17 pm 

20 years ago tomorrow :8:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I wonder if they had a pit pass, or could any fan at the track get that kind of access on a Thursday/Friday? Oh to have been a fan in the 70s and 80s...
I remember going to testing at Silverstone years ago, and almost all of the teams closed their garage doors during the lunch break, so you couldn't even see the cars. Best experience I had was with Tom (is he still around?), where we snuck into the Midland F1 garage and they just let us watch the test from there. They even let us sit on the car for photos. Some teams are obviously more fan friendly than others!

according to the uploader on past video comments, Thursday only needed a ticket for regular fan access. He had media creds in 1989 and 1990 tho (in which he snuck a camcorder in on a still image pass)

on my end, it's insane to see this type of footage for F1 (in which any level of access like this is unthinkable now, let alone F1 not costing 10 arms and 20 legs to attend in the States).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:47 pm 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

racer612008 wrote:
53:09 - The classic mechanics' paddling race

This is a great find.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've been reading the Enzo Ferrari biography by Brock Yates, the one who's being used to make a movie about the Commendatore by Michael Mann. There's some really good bits, all that even before the inception of the World Championship

About how he hired Gigi Villoresi and consequently Ascari

Quote:
Villoresi also recorded his first post war meeting with pleasure. They had borrowed a Ferrari for two races, one in Belgium and another in Luxembourg. Heading back to Italy, he went to Modena for a meeting with the buzzed Commendatore (Ferrari prefered that title back in the day). "I met him on the bed, in his flat in the Scuderia upper floor", Villoresi remembers. "Ferrari was in a dark room, with his hands crossed above his chest. His eyes were closed. Looked like a funeral. I waited for two, three minutes. He simply ket himself layed down. Static. In silence. Finally I said 'enough of this bulshit, I'm leaving'. At that moment, Ferrari 'woke up' and we made a deal".

Clearly Villoresi wouldn't fall for Ferrari's tricks. Other men could had been intimidated by such farce, but Villoresi was a well born star [...] As mentioned, Enzo Ferrari had an unfailling sense of who he should intimidate and who to give in, which might have been his most valuable entrepreneurial skill. But some drivers, like Nuvolari, Villoresi, Fangio and Lauda shook his hands with such strenght that Ferrari couldn't simply make them curve into his conditions.

About his "adventures"

Quote:
Gino Rancati, his friend and fond biographer, tells the adventures of a Bari priest who was a keen partner of Ferrari in parties. Periodically, Father Guilio would come to Modena to what was known as "his practice". It was a nice reference to the priest visits to his mistress, who was a source of lewd fun for Ferrari and his intimate circle of nightlife enthusiasts, to not mention the priest.

About his first F1 victory (Silverstone/1951)

Quote:
It was a big moment of operatic importance for Ferrari. He was expecting to beat his rivals ever since he was sidelined by Alfa Romeo in 1939. And celebrated by writing some of his cheesiest words: "I cried in joy. But my enthusiastic tears mixed with the tears of sadness because, I thought, today I killed my mother". After that, he sent a telegram to [Orazio] Satta, at Alfa Romeo, in which he said "I still for our Alfa the teenage kindness of the first love".

This flourished gibberish is hard to believe, even when done by an actor like Ferrari. This blabbering, who could had come from a cheap novel, is even more absurd when we remember that during five long years the permanent ambition of Enzo Ferrari was to humiliate the cars of his former company at the racetrack. He could had "killed his mother", as he had said in such a melodramatic way, but only after he beat her with no mercy for half a decade.

again, my translation, forgive some misunderstandings haha

and I really doubt those bits will make into the final cut, knowing Holywood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 13 Next