TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5141 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thestig88 wrote:
The whole Wehrlein / Bottas / Mercedes / Massa / Williams thing makes me laugh, all the upcoming talent or already established drivers their is ready to jump into an F1 seat (JEV, Buemi etc) , yet F1 teams only seem interested in clinging onto seasoned veterans or signing pay drivers.

To be fair, JEV and Buemi are better-off shredding in Formula E. You'd rather be in a fun thriving start-up, than a declining corporation that is slowly devouring your soul and your will to live.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:59 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

So the news earlier on saying that Mercedes asked for a rule clarification about FRIC and getting Red Bull screwed ower was false.

The team asking for clarification was actually Ferrari and in the FIA clarification, both options that Ferrari requested for were deemed illegal. The other system is used by Red Bull, the other is used by Mercedes.

So actually Ferrari screws over both of them, meaning that Ferrari might actually be the dominant team this year (unless they screw over their own design).

I bet Mercedes and Red Bull are going to appeal on that FIA/Whiting decission. But for once it's a fair cop from the Ferrari. Other teams don't have budget to do it, it was very much on the grey area to begin with and it was going to be banned for 2018 anyway. I rather see all the teams without FRIC than see one or three teams dominating with it. Force India might actually get a good shot to challenge for the 3rd position now...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

thestig88 wrote:
The whole Wehrlein / Bottas / Mercedes / Massa / Williams thing makes me laugh, all the upcoming talent or already established drivers their is ready to jump into an F1 seat (JEV, Buemi etc) , yet F1 teams only seem interested in clinging onto seasoned veterans or signing pay drivers.

teams are looking for experienced drivers specifically to help them develop the cars for the new rules package. if this years musical chairs had happened on a different year we probably would have seen more chances taken on young talent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
if they had more track tests those driver could be good options but since they can't put cars on the track to develop good seats are wasted

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
So the news earlier on saying that Mercedes asked for a rule clarification about FRIC and getting Red Bull screwed ower was false.

The team asking for clarification was actually Ferrari and in the FIA clarification, both options that Ferrari requested for were deemed illegal. The other system is used by Red Bull, the other is used by Mercedes.

So actually Ferrari screws over both of them, meaning that Ferrari might actually be the dominant team this year (unless they screw over their own design).

I bet Mercedes and Red Bull are going to appeal on that FIA/Whiting decission. But for once it's a fair cop from the Ferrari. Other teams don't have budget to do it, it was very much on the grey area to begin with and it was going to be banned for 2018 anyway. I rather see all the teams without FRIC than see one or three teams dominating with it. Force India might actually get a good shot to challenge for the 3rd position now...

This is a brilliant move by Ferrari - they can't get their own system working, so instead have tried to ruin things for their rivals. Very reminiscent of the McLaren second brake pedal row, and double diffusers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:42 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Yeah, having just read Toet's article on LinkedIn, that does sound almost exactly like what Brawn managed to do for double diffusers. He went to the FIA to seek clarification and asked for the loophole to be closed. Other teams rejected that fearing Brawn had found a major benefit to having the loophole closed. He didn't, his doublebluff worked and the rest is history.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Michael Schumacher 48th birthday is celebrated with this drawing of him driving the Sauber Mercedes at Gr. C in 1990

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

thestig88 wrote:

Both Vergne (Ferrari, Techeetah) and Buemi (Toyota, Red Bull, eDAMS) have at least 2 contracts each whose breaking would have to be paid for in order to get them into a Williams or a Mercedes for this year.

Massa is the only sensible option for a team in Williams' position (i.e. their position is that they have no spare money). He is the cheapest option as there is no contract that needs breaking to bring him in, and at the same time bringing him back in does not break the contracts Williams made with Stroll (experienced team-mate) or Martini (one driver over 25).

---------------------------------

Pertamina have bailed on Haryanto, so he will not be back. It is not certain that Manor as a whole will be back, either.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

RtN wrote:
thestig88 wrote:

Both Vergne (Ferrari, Techeetah) and Buemi (Toyota, Red Bull, eDAMS) have at least 2 contracts each whose breaking would have to be paid for in order to get them into a Williams or a Mercedes for this year.

Massa is the only sensible option for a team in Williams' position (i.e. their position is that they have no spare money). He is the cheapest option as there is no contract that needs breaking to bring him in, and at the same time bringing him back in does not break the contracts Williams made with Stroll (experienced team-mate) or Martini (one driver over 25).

---------------------------------

Pertamina have bailed on Haryanto, so he will not be back. It is not certain that Manor as a whole will be back, either.

Esteban Gutierrez is said to be close to make a contract...so...it's either Mercedes or Manor for him.

By the way, Williams was the most profitable team last season and is only one of the two teams that made money out of last season. The team has been profitable most of the seasons during this decade. And with that performance level and having only Hulk and Bottas as elite prospect drivers, while others have been either past their prime or with a proper financial backing. Kinda tells the story of the sports itself...

edit: more about suspension systems and the controversy that Ferrari's Christmas letter to FIA has created.
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/has-ferrari-just-handed-mercedes-2017-f1-title

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Craig Scarborough is reporting 23rd Feb for the new Mercedes. I have updated the first post, but this hasn't been confirmed by the team yet.

/Edit: Now confirmed

Last edited by gkmotorsport on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

On the subject of the 2017 cars, how much of the increased cornering speed will be down to the extra downforce, and how much will be down to the wider tyres? If the tyres play a more important role, then the following car might not be at such a disadvantage. I want to be optimistic, but I just think that the dirty air will be a massive problem. How is it that such gifted technical brains can't come up with a compromise that allows the cars to follow closely, yet still gives the designers a bit of freedom?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:50 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

Ferrari will say goodbye to the major part of 'white' it had on the car. The 2016 campaign has apparently been associated with 1993, when a win was also not achieved.

let's hope for something along the lines of:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To fully symbolize it they should make the 2017 car like the 1994 car. Black wings, golden rims and proper Ferrari red.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:
Ferrari will say goodbye to the major part of 'white' it had on the car. The 2016 campaign has apparently been associated with 1993, when a win was also not achieved.

There's are differences between 2016 and 1993, so the association made is poor. 1993 was a transition year for Ferrari with big management re-org, a car that was an updated version of the 1992 model and zero expectations for wins let alone challenge for the championship. If anything, an association between 2016 and 2014 is far more appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Tobias wrote:

There's are differences between 2016 and 1993, so the association made is poor. 1993 was a transition year for Ferrari with big management re-org, a car that was an updated version of the 1992 model and zero expectations for wins let alone challenge for the championship. If anything, an association between 2016 and 2014 is far more appropriate.

Don't overanalyse it. 1993 had a white accent and was a year to forget, 2016 had a white accent and was a year to forget. So no white accent in 2017. That's all there is to read in this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 pm 

kals wrote:
Tobias wrote:

Thanks for your pleasant reply. I agree completely :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:27 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

At this rate Ferrari's gonna have to use NART colors by 2020.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Force India launch date added.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
At this rate Ferrari's gonna have to use NART colors by 2020.

or Ecurie Francorchamps colors, with Stoffel Vandoorne at the wheel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

While Silverstone hasn't held the Grand Prix in past, this still sounds insane. I just hope that no other existing British tracks get butchered as the replacement venue

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/137536-f1- ... -prix-deal

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5141 Next