TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous 148 49 50 51 5255 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
This has nothing to do with nostalgia, rather it is having realistic expectations or not ignoring what actually happened. If you were expecting passing and repassing every lap then you're watching the wrong sport.

I didn't expect passing and repassing every lap. I never do that when watching F1.

BUT I did expect at least more passing or at least attempts than we have seen last sunday. At a certain point after the SC there was a train of 5-6 cars all within a second of each other, for like +20 laps. But nothing, I repeat NOTHING happened. They were just following each other and trying to do something with the pitstops, like Alonso did on Hulkenberg.

And I'm not writing off this season already, I am just commenting on the fact that I was dissappointed with the Australian Grand Prix.

Last edited by aerogi on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So instead you're ignoring my original post?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
So instead you're ignoring my original post?

:?

I don't understand your comment.

I was just dissappointed with yesterday's race, we have seen far better on that track in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:08 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

Melbourne is an okay track but often produces exclusive results.
Seems to be a bit of a stand-alone track. Also, it doesn't really lend itself to good racing. Turn 3 is a potential overtaking spot, and turn 13 if lucky. That's about it.

Sepang allows for much better racing, let's hope it also produces just that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
:?

I don't understand your comment.

This is my original post, which I quoted in my response to your comment...

kals wrote:
Do the naysayers not remember 2005? The opening round that year saw some significant sporting regulation changes which meant everyone went into Australia unsure how the single tyre set and engine regs would work. The first round was awful as a result. No-one really did anything and even Martin Brundle commented during the race that the drivers should at least try racing. Well after that one poor race we were treated to some fantastic races. This year's race was miles better than 2005 and we know there is more to come. Let's not write off the year based on one race, nor ignore the fact there was a decent amount of action for a formula having gone through big technical reg changes.

It is unrealistic to expect everyone to either love the race or hate the race, but the comments that are being made are that the race was boring and "I repeat NOTHING happened". What do you expect from the first race with one of the biggest overhauls in regulations in the last 20 years? Teams and drivers are still getting used to the brand new cars and regulations so of course they are going to be tentative through the opening race. 2005 (similar circumstances with reg changes, and my quoted post) proves that one race does not a season make. That was an awful race and yet we were treated to classics that season.

Yes there were a couple of tedious moments in the race but quite frankly that is almost exactly the same as every other GP I've ever watched. If you feel "But nothing, I repeat NOTHING happened" then you either had too high expectations going into the race or completely missed the action that did go on. Yesterday was better than most of the opening races of the past 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:00 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm convinced a lot of the problem is how Formula 1 is broadcasted. Back in the 1980s and 1990s technology was a lot less refined, thus making the sound less clear/more gargled and the picture quality was poorer so there was the greater sensation of speed. Now with better equipment the sound is crisper and perhaps less spectacular while HD looks good but the long-shots to please sponsors can take away the impression of speed.

Anyway this was one race at a circuit that infrequently produces proper racing. There was some action and the drivers were challenged by the cars. Give it time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:57 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

phil1993 wrote:
[...]Now with better equipment the sound is crisper and perhaps less spectacular while HD looks good but the long-shots to please sponsors can take away the impression of speed.

This bugs me a bit too. I think the camera angles got more boring during the last years. The always start with a long shot on an advertisement banner instead of getting closer to the action... and the cameras are placed in such a manner that they can follow the car over a long period of time instead of showing the action and true speed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:06 pm 

the biggest let-down for me was, when just two start lights remained prior to the formation lap, I hadn't even noticed the engines were running...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://en.espnf1.com/australia/motorspo ... 49751.html

Might just be an excuse to get rid of the race in Melbourne, as certain elements in government and the public have been wanting to axe the race for a number of years.....but....the organisers must have had some pretty strong negative feedback to come out and say that. Though when was the last time the FIA gave a shit about what the fans thought.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112973

So other teams did have worries about fuel flow and didn't just ignore the FIA like RB did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:09 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Could argue they shouldn't be using technology which can't be measured correctly yet. It's almost as if even the FIA didn't test this enough...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

On the other hand you don't ignore the FIA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

More on the fuel sensors themselves.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112975

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

This is a double edged sword. It's laughable that there's only 52% reliability within 0.1% when the teams and drivers strive so hard for performance, get two hours sleep a night and make the drivers borderline anorexic. Plus the five hour wait for a result was just ridiculous when the data is readily available to the stewards.

But equally Red Bull was the only team to go against the advice of the FIA and they gained performance from this. They gambled and lost. Ricciardo has potentially been running around with a performance advantage all weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:34 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Of course RBR should be punished, but they shouldn't have to use broken stuff anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Of course RBR should be punished, but they shouldn't have to use broken stuff anyway.

I think there just shouldn't be a silly rule whereas you can only use a certain number calculated per hour. What's wrong with just using the rule 'number of kilos of fuel' that can be used for the entire race? And if half race is behind the SC, so be it then...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:50 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Did they have an unfair advantage on the rest of the field though? Certainly doubt they did over the Mercedes engines, maybe over their fellow Renault ones but the speed traps leave them far from the top (assuming they were running comparable aero) and some gains in acceleration depending when they hit full boost but again, we know that Renault power plant can't hold a candle to the Merc one yet. I can't help but feel we are talking minuscule numbers above the limit here and I really disagree with people stating Ricciardo wouldn't have been able to race to 2nd if they were running legally. I doubt RBR would have ignored the FIA if their readings were significantly above that of which regulations allowed.

I support the ruling based on the fact hat RBR were warned and ignored it however and how they thought they could be smart-asses to the FIA and get away with it is beyond me but they really need to sort their shit out with these sensors if they intend to use it as a basis for disqualification.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ellis wrote:

Like the Renault engine? :whistling:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
ellis wrote:

Like Newey's engine packaging design?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:11 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
Gaara wrote:
ellis wrote:

Like Newey's engine packaging design?

Given Renault got the heat projection figures spectacularly wrong, it was going to be hard to package that engine in anything more robust than toilet paper before it overheated and set fire to most of the car it was contained in.

However as bad as Renaults engine is, that's an issue with a supplier. When your governing body supplies you with equipment, tells you you have to use, it despite it having a 50% failure rate and is completely inaccurate, that's another issue.

RBR will be and should be punished. But there needs to be a question on why the FIA supplied devices are in such a bad state.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous 148 49 50 51 5255 Next