TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 148 49 50 51 52123 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:35 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Scotty wrote:
XQR wrote:
Why are you trying to insult me?

Probably because you've made 8 posts and you've been an asshole in most of them?

I don't see the problem tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:41 am 

micha wrote:
XQR wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

thats an objective opinion.

For one person $10/month is spare change and for another person its a luxury they cannot afford.
I really wonder how little real life experience people have for thinking its not much.

lol if it's important for you to watch F1 with your daughter, spend the money.

Don't spend it on a Thrustmaster TX Leather edition instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:05 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shaddix wrote:
XQR wrote:
The amount they ask for really isn't that much, plus the Sky coverage in the UK is pretty good considering you also get F2/F3 and IndyCar in the same package.

Well the amount they ask in Belgium is a lot. It's €20 (£18)/month and it is terrible coverage, with commentators that are average and no extras. It might be worth it if you also watch Premier League Soccer, which is included in the same package. But for only F1 that's way too expensive.

Also I don't want F1 to be available for free because I don't want to pay (I pay if I need too), but because F1 teams and races live of their sponsors, and sponsors need a big audience. Please don't think the same number of people watch it after a paywall compared to on a public channel.

F1TV is only €65 per year in Belgium, €5,50 per month is not that much

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
micha wrote:
XQR wrote:

thats an objective opinion.

For one person $10/month is spare change and for another person its a luxury they cannot afford.
I really wonder how little real life experience people have for thinking its not much.

lol if it's important for you to watch F1 with your daughter, spend the money.

Don't spend it on a Thrustmaster TX Leather edition instead.

I think I can decide how I spent my own money as I please. I used my annual bonus to buy the wheel. I dont need a turd like you to tell me how.

And even with a little bit of reshuffling I could afford the €15/month it would cost me to get F1 on Dutch tv. But it will not weight up to the times I can watch it. If the weather is good for example and I have my kids I rather take them to a local petting zoo they love to go to or an indoor play village.

My personal financial situation isnt that dire but its dire enough to a point that I cannot justify it to myself to get a subscription.
There are people who's situation is that dire however. Or simply not into F1 enough to get a subscription. By hiding F1 behind a paywall you never reach them. Their financial situation might chance or they get into F1 enough to get a subscription.

Without open channels broadcasting F1 the fanbase will shrink. And if that happens (potential) sponsors back out and even a budget cap will not fix that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'll be cynical for a second here: do sponsors engaging in F1 care about people who don't have disposable income? Back in the Marlboro days, yes you may have wanted masses of low income smokers to see that your car is winning race. Perhaps today's sponsors are happy with the target audience F1 is giving them currently, I don't know. F1 is a brand and marketing is probably a big part of their strategy. You're assuming their strategy is/should be making F1 accessible to everyone, but depending on the product and market it's not always a losing strategy to market to a niche/higher income audience.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The current sponsors maybe not but its hard to predict what sponsors F1 might attract if its available to the wider audience again.

Didnt Tide sponsor NASCAR for the longest time because they actually reached the right crowd with it? Same can happen in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well I can certainly not afford a Mercedes or a Ferrari, no matter how many times they win.
And when you follow drivers on Facebook or Twitter and they show some new brands, it's always some sort of very exclusive watch or pair of sunglasses, what the ordinary folks will never be able to buy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:

Is it worth it? Each start of the season, I'm tempted to buy a subscription but I never go through with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
XQR wrote:

Probably because you've made 8 posts and you've been an asshole in most of them?

@
XQR
: meet Scotty. You'll get used to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
I'll be cynical for a second here: do sponsors engaging in F1 care about people who don't have disposable income? Back in the Marlboro days, yes you may have wanted masses of low income smokers to see that your car is winning race. Perhaps today's sponsors are happy with the target audience F1 is giving them currently, I don't know. F1 is a brand and marketing is probably a big part of their strategy. You're assuming their strategy is/should be making F1 accessible to everyone, but depending on the product and market it's not always a losing strategy to market to a niche/higher income audience.

I remember Bernie saying something in the line he'd rather having the sponsors whose target is a 50+ wealthy man than something that would reach younger and less affluent audiences.

They might have a more niched strategy and if it works, that's okay. I don't think so - given the fact we see the grid shrinking and even a decent team struggle to make ends meet. But, I can't say we would see more money pouring into the teams just because we would have a broader audience. I don't really think more sponsorship money would change the current tide of F1.

On the other hand, I think part of what we miss from the old days of Formula 1 is the fact it had relevance to the world. And in the latest decade, much of what we have seen is F1 losing relevance to the world while it gets more and more niched. I think we all love the sense of following a sport that is relevant, and we want the stars of it to have a global reach rather than the reach of some guy that has just won a golf competition. So, in this sense, I really want F1 for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Bernie's strategy relied on a fact (that I find it very hard to believe) that luxury brands rarely depreciate during crisis, which could be true in one instance since during crisis rich people tend to get richer

but in the end is the average joe tuning in for the races and not some rich bloke that could be wasting his sunday afternoon playing golf or yachting

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Or these rich blokes can be in VIP spaces at the race where they'll do everything but watching a race.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:50 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Omega wrote:
Scotty wrote:
XQR wrote:

@
XQR
: meet Scotty. You'll get used to it.

As much I disagree with nearly everything with @Scotty, I have to say that I completely agree with him and would even go to jail to protect his opinion in this particular case. Maybe this was all that we need as a community. A noob we could all disagree with. Peace might finally be an option.

OK. My honest opinion about Scotty's post:
Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:14 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Autosport have done a list of Vettel's top 10 wins in F1 and in every single one he started on the front row: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14981 ... ins-ranked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:
cookie wrote:

Is it worth it? Each start of the season, I'm tempted to buy a subscription but I never go through with it.
When it works it is worth it, but it's still glitchy and unstable from time to time. But it was much cheaper than my subscription to ziggo sport (€30 per month) so it was the cheapest option for me to see everything add free. it's certainly much better than what Telenet offers with their f1 coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:23 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

So I saw on Alonso's Instagram a post about the new Māori clothing line, I instantly knew they were gona be in hot water... so linked a mate the post, and he actually tipped off a Māori news place... So I guess in some ways I'm semi-responsible for this backlash? 8O

Quote:
Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso's clothing line has been accused of cashing in on Māori culture without having any tangible link to it.

Called Kimoa, the label has met a fierce backlash on social media with a barrage of comments on its Facebook page accusing it of being a "culture vulture" and "culture thief".

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... yqXrB18vbQ

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
he should had start selling clothing with retro racing style, would sell even more than those cultural misappropriations

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:40 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

James B wrote:
Autosport have done a list of Vettel's top 10 wins in F1 and in every single one he started on the front row: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14981 ... ins-ranked

What about Vettel's top 10 best overtaking moves?

There was a sweet one on Button in Abu Dhabi 2012 I think, in the 3 part chicane.

Then there was one at T3 in China in 2017

I think that's it.... :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2010 Turkey on Webber...oh wait.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:11 am 

James B wrote:

No surprise there.

I remember how ellis used to defend him and say he was an amazing driver.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 148 49 50 51 52123 Next