TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 47 48 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:49 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

MaTT wrote:
All Hamilton has is a whole bunch of ifs. If Rosberg hadn't caused the yellow. If he'd managed to go quicker on his last lap. If the team had called him in earlier. If he'd not got something in his eye. Just like Rosberg only had ifs after Bahrain and Spain - if he'd made a move stick, if he'd managed to get pole, if he'd used the same engine setting as Lewis.

Rosberg's incident in qualifying was not on purpose, but from the moment he got out of the car after it he turned the psychological screw on Lewis and sure enough, his mindset and mood went to pieces like cheese in a microwave. He can't let Rosberg do that to him or he's going to have real problems.

Oh, and a big congrats to my local team Marussia on their first points. Excellent stuff.

I don't get the "Lewis is falling apart" talk. On track today he showed great pace and would have driven away from Rosberg, had he not been held up. Even Rosberg said that Lewis drove a very strong race and put him under pressure the whole time.

The "falling apart talk" would be justified of he would have done something stupid or would have been off pace. Let him talk outside of the race car, finally a driver shows some character and makes it exciting. I guess the Lewis-bashing is just fashionable nowadays :D

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:51 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

How much does Marussia get for these points?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BrainPain wrote:
Why would Magnussen get any penalty for that? That incident was all Kimi.

Personally I thought Magnussen turned in early on Kimi, and in addition Magnussen was struggling with an issue so there was no need for his aggressive defence. That was the way I say it but that doesn't mean I'm right.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

@Stan $10mil iirc for last place in constructors pay positions, plus they get all their freight costs paid next year.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:06 pm 

Justin Time wrote:
I don't get the "Lewis is falling apart" talk. On track today he showed great pace and would have driven away from Rosberg, had he not been held up. Even Rosberg said that Lewis drove a very strong race and put him under pressure the whole time.

The "falling apart talk" would be justified of he would have done something stupid or would have been off pace. Let him talk outside of the race car, finally a driver shows some character and makes it exciting. I guess the Lewis-bashing is just fashionable nowadays :D

even before the alleged "problem with left eye", Rosberg was pulling away from him and the gap was almost at 3s. Then , due to Gutierrez spin, Nico lifted a lot in the yellow zone and Lewis got closer again.

How did he get a problem with an eye when there is a visor there? Did it last all the way until the end of the race because his poor pace lasted until the very end

It's a big speculation whether Lewis would drive away from Rosberg if he was ahead. We never know how much they are pushing/saving with current F1. Ricciardo was rather cruising after the SC and then towards the last 10 laps or so, he started posting FL of the race

Canada is Lewis's best track, with the car advantage he has, the chance of him retaking the lead is on his hands

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Drivers have their visors fitted so that it is always slightly open. Helps ventilation and other things.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Drivers have their visors fitted so that it is always slightly open. Helps ventilation and other things.

Really? I get that for karting, but I really would have thought the ventilation in modern helmets is better than that. I have an old Sparco helmet that is Snell certified to whichever level was required for F1 in 2000, and even in a Formula Ford I found the ventilation good enough over 50-odd mph that no cracking was needed.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I used to tape my visor shut, the air vents were good enough for ventilation.
I started doing this after my visor flew open once and I had to drive one handed while holding it shut.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ventilation in my helmet is also good but we're referencing junior formula speeds to compare against F1. At those speeds the buffeting means ventilation through the standard holes is only partially sufficient, so drivers tend to have a small opening. Around or less than 1mm. Plus the visors have good loop king mechanisms so they don't fly open under the air pressure.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fair point kals, but it still is surprising given the aero advancements over the last 10-15 years.

Ian-S wrote:
I used to tape my visor shut, the air vents were good enough for ventilation.
I started doing this after my visor flew open once and I had to drive one handed while holding it shut.

Shades of Button at Hockenheim :D

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:04 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Artur Craft wrote:
Justin Time wrote:

even before the alleged "problem with left eye", Rosberg was pulling away from him and the gap was almost at 3s. Then , due to Gutierrez spin, Nico lifted a lot in the yellow zone and Lewis got closer again.

How did he get a problem with an eye when there is a visor there? Did it last all the way until the end of the race because his poor pace lasted until the very end

It's a big speculation whether Lewis would drive away from Rosberg if he was ahead. We never know how much they are pushing/saving with current F1. Ricciardo was rather cruising after the SC and then towards the last 10 laps or so, he started posting FL of the race

Canada is Lewis's best track, with the car advantage he has, the chance of him retaking the lead is on his hands

Hehe I actually followed the race on the F1 app as well, the lap before the Gutierrez incident Lewis' lap was more than 1,2 sec faster than Rosbergs. In terms of pace it was fairly obvious that Lewis could follow him, and as I said, Rosberg said in in the podium interview that Lewis' pace was very strong and that he was always under pressure. In terms of fuel saving Hamilton was about 1,5 % up on Rosberg by half time, after that I don't remember the standings.

Lewis lap times after he got something in his eye got better, he matched Rosbergs times again and I remember that he drove at least one lap 0.2 faster than ROS, but by then RIC caught up with him, who was lapping about 1,5 sec faster than Lewis and Rosberg.

About the helmet: Alex Wurz said that the helmets are open on the bottom and it also happened to him that dirt got into his eye. So perhaps the visor was shut completely, but it got in from the bottom of the helmet. But me personally, I put a minuscule rubber plate below the visor so that there is always the tiniest bit of a gap, since I prefer this upwash rather than the built-in ventilation

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kimi got a reprimand for the Mags incident.

No action on the Button/Perez incident.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

StanV wrote:
How much does Marussia get for these points?

A lot of money.

More if they retain 9th.

Could be the nail in Caterham's coffin though.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not to mention Sauber's...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:55 pm 
2012 F1 Pick-Ems champion

Fun fact: since Bianchi has been in F1 (Oz 2013) he's scored twice as many points as Maldonado.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:54 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Gaara wrote:
Kimi got a reprimand for the Mags incident.

No action on the Button/Perez incident.

This doesn't feel like the stewards we know..... :8:

If I'd have been the stewards I'd have been so tempted to call the Rosberg qualy incident deliberate and punt him to the back of the field.

Just for poops and giggles and to find out exactly how dominant these Mercedes really are.

If we get a race where one of them gets a contact/gearbox or related penalty and has to start down the field: instant 10/10 race.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just checked the drivers standings, and who would have thought that after 6 races Hulkenberg would have more points than Vettel?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:30 am 

MaTT wrote:
Not to mention Sauber's...

their fault for having 2 rubbish drivers

The car had the best pace ever in the whole year. It was faster than Williams, Lotus and would easily be able to finish in points in the place of Bianchi
webbsy wrote:
Just checked the drivers standings, and who would have thought that after 6 races Hulkenberg would have more points than Vettel?

He surely has his merits, but also quite some fortunate at times.
Perez was faster than him all weekend but got taken out already in lap1 and that was only one of the misfortunes that benefited Hulk.

You had once more Vettel's never ending car problems, then Kimi was denied a good result(going by what was said here as I didn't see the incident due to the race being boring and me not keeping the eyes always on the TV screen). Vergne and Kvyat also DNF and Magnussen slept when he gave back the position to Vergne, Hulk then took advantage and got another position.

Imho, he needs to show quite more pace than Perez to live up to what a lot people think of him, ie, a top driver that deserved to be in top teams.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is Lewis going to screw up an even greater car advantage than the one he had in 2007? You would have though he'd have learned to keep his head down. Now I remember why I hated him. He's so quick to throw toys out of the pram. If he'd calm down, he'd realize he has had more success than Rosberg at most of the remaining tracks. If he doesn't relax he risks letting Red Bull back into the championship fight. I suspect that Vettel's troubles are because he's testing all the new parts and they won't keep failing. There's a lot of racing after the summer break and if Merc hasn't squashed it by then, a months break will only do exponentially more harm than good.

That said, I hope there's fireworks and one of the Red Bulls comes through and steals the championship.

Post subject: 2014 Monaco Grand Prix
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So apparently Monaco is the third time this season there has been dissent from the Merc drivers. In Bahrain Nico used an aggressive and unauthorised engine setting in an attempt to get ahead of Lewis post-SC, Lewis then did the same in Barcelona to stay ahead. Then there was Monaco and the general consensus is that if the quali incident was not centred around one team (like Ferrari v Renault I'm Monaco 2006) then Nico wouldn't have kept his pole.

We will continue to complain about Lewis' behaviour but Nico is far from squeaky clean in all of this... 2-1 to him in these games right now and he's clearly rattling Lewis' paranoia. And who was saying F1 2014 was boring?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 47 48 Next