TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 711 Next
 Post subject: Re: So long, ITV-F1!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 pm 
There will actually be no adverts. We'll hopefully get uninterrupted coverage unless the BBC decide to copy the Americans and go to the studio for no reason in the middle of the races

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:29 pm 

MaTT wrote:
The thing with Mark Blundell is wot if you listen to his older commenteries, such as Montreal 1999, he was actually pretty decent back then. You get the feeling wot the ITV team were somewhat shoehorned into a manner of presenting and talking by the bigwigs.

Corrected grammar for Blundell fans, replacing the word they've never used or heard of.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:57 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Tobias wrote:
jdh wrote:
Tobias wrote:
for me, I did like Mark Blundell because he provided a lot of insight in matters like digging deep and pulling it out of the bag.

No he didn't. They only thing he did was state the bloody obvious. He provided absolutely no insight and his 'analysis' consisted of him saying what he could see (which is exactly what we could see as well).

well, that's sort of what I meant with my comment :p

"Hamilton's crash will have an impact..." Yeah, the one where the car hit met the barrier mainly

"The weather will play a crucial role this weekend" It does every weekend Mark, it just changes between the heat being an issue for the tyres, the cold being an issue for the tyres, the wet being an issue for a different type of tyres...etc.

"The tyres will be an important factor for the drivers" Yes, without which they'd be skidding along on their chasis not going anywhere!

The thing that annoyed me about ITV was the constant dumbing down of the sport to attract the casual viewer. The whole show was pitched at the channel surfer who was bored of the Sunday film on BBC1 and the Friends re-run on channel 4 so was giving Formula One a try because there was nothing else on.
"Lets not get to complicated" thought ITV, "he might get confused or bored and switch over!!"
The trouble is even if their dumbing down to cater for this viewer worked and they impressed him, as soon as he watched more than two or three races in a row he stops being a casual viewer and becomes a fan. At that point ITV get bored of him and start talking down to the next casual viewer to switch over. The first casual viewer is left with questions like "why are they explaining understeer or tyre wear to me again? They did that last week?" and begins joining us moaning that the coverage is too simple.

It was ok if F1 digital would be still around, that way ITV could've courted the casual viewer, but as soon as they became fans they would want to pay for the more intellegent broadcast (though not at the prices sky charged!). But without that they're just courting 10% of their potential viewership at the risk of pissing off 90% of it.

The BBC won't have to try too hard to top that. All they have to do at the moment is live up to what they've promised and it's going to be a great breath of fresh air. Johnny Casual can watch the race as normal, but the dedicated fan can press red and watch everything from GP2 practice to more in-depth highlights etc...should work a treat. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

Quote:
Brundle confirms new BBC role

By Simon Strang Monday, November 17th 2008, 22:28 GMT

Award-winning commentator and former grand prix driver Martin Brundle has confirmed that he will be a part of the BBC's new Formula One television presenting team in 2009.

Brundle told guests attending the Autocar Awards, at London's Royal Horticultural Hall, that he had contemplated whether to continue in the role he has occupied for ITV since his retirement from racing at the end of 1996.

"I'm delighted to be able to tell you all that I'll be joining the BBC next year," he said.

"I've been commentating on Formula One for the past dozen years, and I briefly considered calling it a day. But in the end I decided to take up the BBC's offer and I'm now very excited about working for them next year."

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone concluded a five-year deal, which includes exclusive rights to radio, mobile and internet broadcasting, with the BBC in March this year.

The BBC is believed to be close to finalising its 2009 line-up, with former Radio 5 Live commentator Jonathan Legard favourite to land the leading commentary role, and the recently-retired David Coulthard set to join as a pundit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good news. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:12 pm 

Will any of you continue to visit the itv.com/f1 site now that it's 'over'?

I have it as my homepage and I don't know what to do now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I hardly ever go there anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:47 pm 
Tobias wrote:
Quote:
Brundle confirms new BBC role

Great to see him back next year. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is back to where it all started for Martin Brundle. I remember his first commentary during the 1995 Argentine GP for the Beeb, a bit nervous but very entertaining. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its great that he's decided to stay on. I honestly thought it might not happen as everything went a bit quiet on the subject, but its great that its been confirmed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:13 am 

Yess...go Martin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:12 am 
it's great news Martin's on board, I now wait in fear - just incase that curly haired-couldn't-make-his-love-for-Hamilton-be-anymore-obvious-yellow-stained-teeth-James Allen is suddenly announced as the Beeb commentator!
I don't think it'll happen (hope not) but I remember the shock I felt when the idea was first bounded about that Mansell would hook up with Williams after Ayrton's crash!
At that point I'd have thought you'd have more chance of seeing the Pope come out from a brothel!!!!!!
So anything can happen...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I wonder what is the reaction from FIA about Brundle's appointment with the BBC?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

bigears wrote:
I wonder what is the reaction from FIA about Brundle's appointment with the BBC?

Let's just say they didn't fancy awarding the BBC with a medal for this appointment....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:44 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

FIA in "hating people who speak their mind" shocker!!

Martin tells it like it is, the FIA don't like you knowing how it is...

Which is better?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:12 am 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

kals wrote:
bigears wrote:

Let's just say they didn't fancy awarding the BBC with a medal for this appointment....

Makes a change.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:54 pm 
God Complex Ahoy!
God Complex Ahoy!

Coulthard & Jordan in BBC F1 team

BBC Sport wrote:
David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan have joined the BBC as part of next year's presentation team in Formula One.

Coulthard will join former team boss Jordan as a pundit alongside anchor Jake Humphrey.

Jonathan Legard moves from 5 Live to commentate with ex-F1 driver and award-winning broadcaster Martin Brundle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:55 pm 
I guess the big surprise is Ted Kravitz being retained 8O

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He's alright - all he has to do is stop that annoying habit he has of coming up with some random theory and sticking to it even though on-track happenings are proving him wrong.

Pretty happy with the lineup myself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:19 pm 
Well, the commentary team is OK, but merely that. You can't get away from the fact that Legard is the cheap option, but he'll be better than JA. From what I've read Ben Edwards was highly unlikely to get it. Kravitz is alright as well, and this of course means we won't have to suffer him presenting the BTCC coverage. McKenzie sounded pretty good when I listened to the 5 Live coverage of FP of Brazil. DC and Eddie will provide some fun in the studio although on current form the Mail and its readers will get them sacked if they say something slightly controversial

But Humphrey will be despised. No doubt. He is not the sort of presenter I or most people would want hosting F1 coverage, being an ex-kids TV presenter until recently and generally not fitting in with the Olympics coverage

It'll be cheap and probably just as biased towards Lewis but with all the gizmos and a generally better commentary team, it should be better than ITV's coverage. But we shall see

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 711 Next