TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 803 posts ]  Go to page Previous 137 38 39 40 41 Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:20 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

The difference is that braking distance is much longer and the reaction times shorter when you're going faster. Therefore a chance to make a mistake in braking increases, which would help the other driver to overtake. Also, the drag coefficient get's higher when speed rises so technically slipstreaming would be more effective. There's a huge difference in physical forces directly affecting on the car when the speed is higher. It might look like that the difference is only like 20 odd km/h, but on Newtons, the difference multiplies. Therefore the difference between a good car and a bad car would be greater.

But you probably already knew that before posting such a intellectual message.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:33 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Jonathan Legard on Monza 2009
"What about with Lewis hamilton then"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:00 am 
Walking on the moon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:18 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I was listening to cosmo XM radio today and heard a news flash that he and Nicole Scherzinger broke up because he didnt want to settle down and get married. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Didn't he say after the race that it wasn't true that he broke up with her?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:40 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

scotty wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
The difference is that braking distance is much longer and the reaction times shorter when you're going faster. Therefore a chance to make a mistake in braking increases, which would help the other driver to overtake. Also, the drag coefficient get's higher when speed rises so technically slipstreaming would be more effective. There's a huge difference in physical forces directly affecting on the car when the speed is higher. It might look like that the difference is only like 20 odd km/h, but on Newtons, the difference multiplies. Therefore the difference between a good car and a bad car would be greater.

But you probably already knew that before posting such a intellectual message.

Ya but there is less chance dying in a horrible accident, which is a good thing, which you would've known before posting such an (its an not a, master english before you master forums) intellectual message.

That is A pathetic excuse and a poor come-back attempt on a one single mistakenly typed letter.

What makes you think that there would be any difference if you crash at 345km/h or at 365km/h? Felipe Massa almost lost his life in an accident that happened no more than 200km/h speed. The impact forces might have a huge difference if the speed is 370km/h or if it's 340km/h. However, if you crash in that kind of speed the deceleration is the physical phenomenon that kills you, not the speed. Human body can only take that much of deceleration and frankly, it doesn't matter if you are doing 20 km/h less or not in the case of huge accident. Take Ralf Schumacher's accident at Indianapolis 2004 for example. He wasn't doing even 300km/h and didn't have a head-on impact, which is pretty much the only thing to cause enough deceleration. Had he have the worst possible impact angle without any loss of speed before the impact, he surely would have been killed, no matter if he was doing only 300km/h at the time. When the speed is over 300, it doesn't matter if it's closer to 300 or 400, you would have serious accident anyways. There's only one thing why you wouldn't get such an extreme impact. There's nothing to hit head-on at Monza's mainstraight. That makes the possibility of "dying in a horrible accident, which is a good thing" even less probable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:18 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

scotty wrote:
Big deal. They're only fucking numbers. Can anyone really tell the difference between 370km/h and 340km/h on track? It looks just the same, only when they crash, the accidents are bigger.

I think it makes a difference F1 cars look alot slower than in the past and when Nascar has higher top speeds i think it is a problem.
At least next year they wont have rpm limiters and the cars will sound better..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:53 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

No, I'm saying that you are an idiot. But as you were focusing on spelling mistakes, you didn't notice that and therefore couldn't understand the laws of physics involved in racing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Cars still have engine braking, it's just not active controlled system as it was for few years before standard ECU.

Traction control is not doing anything at high speeds as there is no wheelspin.

Aerodynamical and mechanical grip are higher than what they used to be, say ten years ago when these cars were able to go over 360 km/h thanks to greater engine power.

Today's aerodynamical balance is much better than what it was back then.

Rear wing might be narrower, but it has also higher angle as the teams still want to produce enough downforce to have stable car in cornering.

The lack of higher top speed has nothing to do with better braking balance. The cars just can't go any faster with current more drag creating mandatory design and smaller engines.

And why you try to change the subject suddenly everytime when I try to prove a point here? Your original argument was that there's no difference between 340 and 370. When I told you that there was a difference infact, you tried to say that slower speed means less fatalities. I once again pointed out that this isn't the case necessarily. So you went for saying that the cars are slower because they can't brake as early as they used to be and that they are more unstable than before. Your counter arguments were pointing out spelling mistakes from my arguments, twisting my sayings and saying that my points doesn't make sense, yet failing to tell why. What's your next argument going to be?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:40 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Go and read my posts again. Try to find the thin red line and read between the lines. I'm tired of your shit. If you don't get my point then it's your problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:46 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

scotty wrote:
So you're still saying cars going faster have less chance of having big accidents?

Apart from Massa's a few weeks ago, when was the last time we had a serious accident since the inception of the slower V8 engine?

James Courtney was nearly killed in 2003 testing a Jag at Monza when a suspension mount failed at 350km/h. He was left temporarily paralysed down one side, blurred vision, and it cost him a British F3 title. Aside from Massa, and say Kubica who only missed 1 race, there have been no serious accidents since 2006 (inception of the V8 engine). So what is your point? Cars are safer now than back then. More accidents occured back then when cars were going faster

Sorry but this doesn't make sense at all. And you had some criticism against NVirkkula's spelling, but you better look out after your own.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:12 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

scotty wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Your original argument was that there's no difference between 340 and 370. When I told you that there was a difference infact, you tried to say that slower speed means less fatalities. I once again pointed out that this isn't the case necessarily.

So you're still saying cars going faster have less chance of having big accidents?

Apart from Massa's a few weeks ago, when was the last time we had a serious accident since the inception of the slower V8 engine?

James Courtney was nearly killed in 2003 testing a Jag at Monza when a suspension mount failed at 350km/h. He was left temporarily paralysed down one side, blurred vision, and it cost him a British F3 title. Aside from Massa, and say Kubica who only missed 1 race, there have been no serious accidents since 2006 (inception of the V8 engine). So what is your point? Cars are safer now than back then. More accidents occured back then when cars were going faster

Cars are only slower in a straight line then they were during the V10 era, they are cornering just as fast as they were back then. They might be approaching the corner at a slower speed but they seem to be holding just as much speed going through it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:04 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scotty wrote:
James Courtney was nearly killed in 2003 testing a Jag at Monza when a suspension mount failed at 350km/h. He was left temporarily paralysed down one side, blurred vision, and it cost him a British F3 title.

This is a bit off-topic, but do you reckon that accident effectively finished Courtney's open-wheel career and F1 hopes? I remember when he first came to V8s, looking at his CV and wondering why he isn't in F1 or Indycars...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

P142 wrote:
scotty wrote:
James Courtney was nearly killed in 2003 testing a Jag at Monza when a suspension mount failed at 350km/h. He was left temporarily paralysed down one side, blurred vision, and it cost him a British F3 title.

This is a bit off-topic, but do you reckon that accident effectively finished Courtney's open-wheel career and F1 hopes? I remember when he first came to V8s, looking at his CV and wondering why he isn't in F1 or Indycars...

Yeah I'd say so. IMO he was good enough for F1, just a shame that happened to him, but i also thought he ran out of money too which caused him to head home to race V8's? Shame, i rate him better than Webber.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have never seen a fatal or serious accident in F1 caused by excessive straight line speed. All of them occured either in fast corners or during an acceleration phase at pretty much 300kph or less.

However, 20 or 30kph does matter on high speed circuits, for some freak accidents like Greg Moore's in CART for example: 10mph less and he may not have gone airborne and be still alive. It's not a bad thing if speeds stay reasonably limited as long as it doesn't hurt the entertainment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I remember watchin an 80s CART race a week or 2 ago, and they asked Bobby Unser what the difference was between hitting the wall at 150mph or 180mph, and he said "not much"
Thankfully straight line speed has rarely been a killer in Formula/open-wheel racing.
I think speeds could be allowed to go up more from where they are now, cars are generally so safe now im sure things would be fine. Always gonna get freak accidents a la Massa Surtees, but i dnt see a 20mph increase in todays top speeds suddenly causing major accidents.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scotty wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Your original argument was that there's no difference between 340 and 370. When I told you that there was a difference infact, you tried to say that slower speed means less fatalities. I once again pointed out that this isn't the case necessarily.

As far as I know Courtney was not seriously injured in that crash.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:51 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

RickR wrote:
scotty wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

As far as I know Courtney was not seriously injured in that crash.

Wiki says it was 2002, and by the sounds of it certainly not life threatening, however I know nothing if the incident, just what I read :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Courtney

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:32 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

as the singapore thread is closed I thought we could continue our chat here.

Not a classic race unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

So yeah, why's the Singapore thread been locked?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 803 posts ]  Go to page Previous 137 38 39 40 41 Next