TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Gaara wrote:
Isn't the rumour that Rolex were going to sign to sponsor McLaren before Bernie got in there and convinced them away?

Bernie offered more space for less money to Emirates and they left McLaren, but after that they signed with Vodafone so it wasn't too bad at the time

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I dont think Mclaren will get their main sponsor unless they are regular on podiums. Or winning.
Just take a look at BrawnGP. At beginning car had one Virgin sponsor. But at last race the car was full of sponsors. Cuz it won races.
When did the last time Mclaren win a race? In 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I get the point you're making and yes there's logic to that. But the example you're giving is incorrect. Brawn's deal with Virgin was for little to no money and was actually used as a way for Brawn to be introduced to Richard Branson's personal network of companies that were viable potential sponsors. The deals and sponsors that were signed were done on a race by race basis, bar MIG.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
The point really should be that it is unacceptable that the sport's owners are intentionally competing with it's own teams for commercial gain. Even moreso when the owners are already creaming off a significant profit from the top line and not redistributing that wealth in an equitable fashion.

When Bernie kicks the bucket its going to be a free for all. The way he has structured the commercial aspect of the sport it basically has been designed to fail without him in charge.

Expect even more secretive/shady/unfair individual deals when he is gone. CVC (or who ever owns the rights) will milk even more money out of it, and the teams feeling freed from the Bernie shackles will try their hands. There is almost no way the sport won't implode. We are seeing the first signs of it already with the current regs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
There is almost no way the sport won't implode.

Thats probably why some teams are again openly asking Bernie to find a proper successor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:10 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Can't wait for F1 to die.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's be positive and dream.

Imagine a season where Vettel is using every last bit of his talent to chase and regularly beat the Mercedes. He's taking awful risks to get there, so much that he crashes hard and has to sit out a few races. Out of sheer willpower, he makes a miraculous recovery and comes back, fighting Hamilton tooth and nail to get back in the title chase.

Jump to November 13th, 2016. Yas Marina has been cancelled due to terrorist attack threats, so Interlagos is the championship finale.

Hamilton and Vettel are lined up on the front row. Winner gets the title. It's pouring rain and half the grid believes it's too dangerous to drive in these conditions. Hours go by and the weather doesn't get better, until the decision comes: the show must go on, start will be given without safety car. Race is shortened due to daytime concerns, so no pit-stops will be required. It's a pure, unabated, unbridled sprint for the fastest run to the finish.

Imagine that. Then wake up because you're a realistic person and all that is never going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:

I'd be sad to see a big part of my youth gone but I think we're closing in on the point of no return. Either they fix the problems and F1 becomes healthy and sustainable again or we wait until it implodes.

I do wonder what the current state of F1 would be if the Champcar/IRL split never happened or if one of those 2 kept the same momentum Champcar had in the mid 90's. Bernie really did fear it back then. I remember that Dutch RTL couldn't broadcast Champcar due to their deal to broadcast F1. It was strictly forbidden.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:24 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

coldtyre wrote:
Let's be positive and dream.

Imagine a season where Vettel is using every last bit of his talent to chase and regularly beat the Mercedes. He's taking awful risks to get there, so much that he crashes hard and has to sit out a few races. Out of sheer willpower, he makes a miraculous recovery and comes back, fighting Hamilton tooth and nail to get back in the title chase.

Jump to November 13th, 2016. Yas Marina has been cancelled due to terrorist attack threats, so Interlagos is the championship finale.

Hamilton and Vettel are lined up on the front row. Winner gets the title. It's pouring rain and half the grid believes it's too dangerous to drive in these conditions. Hours go by and the weather doesn't get better, until the decision comes: the show must go on, start will be given without safety car. Race is shortened due to daytime concerns, so no pit-stops will be required. It's a pure, unabated, unbridled sprint for the fastest run to the finish.

Imagine that. Then wake up because you're a realistic person and all that is never going to happen.

that would be a #blessed scenario.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

micha wrote:
Fabs wrote:

I'd be sad to see a big part of my youth gone but I think we're closing in on the point of no return. Either they fix the problems and F1 becomes healthy and sustainable again or we wait until it implodes.

I do wonder what the current state of F1 would be if the Champcar/IRL split never happened or if one of those 2 kept the same momentum Champcar had in the mid 90's. Bernie really did fear it back then. I remember that Dutch RTL couldn't broadcast Champcar due to their deal to broadcast F1. It was strictly forbidden.

No different probably, Indycar would be shitting on NASCAR's rotting corpse though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My my my, you lot are a ray of sunshine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:40 pm 

:flag:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:

Mid to late 90s CART was the open-wheel fix I needed after the usual afternoon nap in front of the live F1 GP. At home we never complained about how boring F1 was, it didn't matter, after the podium I was just like ok gbye dad see you later this evening for THE REAL DEAL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

that was pretty much for me either. watched F1 in the morning expecting crashes and mayhem, and in the afternoon CART was there with their marvelous 20 races, ground effect racing cars running on superspeedways and causing the mayhem F1 failed to provide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:27 pm 

micha wrote:
Fabs wrote:

Back when I read that in whatever Dutch F1 magazine I believed it. These days I just can't believe anything they say. All a bunch of has beens involved with each others businesses.

Tough I salute Ruud. Ignorant old fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Fabs wrote:

Formula E FTW

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Fabs wrote:

Formula E FTW

Yes but no more comebacks for JV please

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:32 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Fabs wrote:

Formula E FTW

Yes but no more comebacks for JV please

Only when then bring in the anti-fanboost twitter voted DrIver electric shock device can jaques get the return his career deserves

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

for a moment I thought JV got bothered that they were misusing his name and asked to take away like in that old N64 F1 game where the world champion was "Driver Williams"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:47 am 

John Newhouse imo

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6151 Next