TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 29151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:23 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

coldtyre wrote:
Many people have brought out Indycar and how the car looks more and more like a sportscar, I see some discussion here about the differentiation about open-wheel and open-cockpit racing, etc... So I would like to ask: why do we have single-seaters in the first place? Why open-wheel? It's a genuine question.

Is it worth fighting for these kind of series to survive, given that they only look like they do because of historical reasons (first automobiles of late 19th century, roadster design...), and given that no major series seems to be willing to accept the associated risks: wheel-tangling, cars and wheels flying off, head impacts, restricted cockpit space?

The question should be seriously asked and if necessary, the philosophy of single-seater racing be revised deeply. Just, instead of doing it step by step like Indycar is doing (and now F1), just straight out put a commission onto this and cover all those issues, if the result is that single-seaters should not race anymore, I will accept that more than the shit-looking shit that Indycar and F1 are slowly pulling off year after year.

This is coming from a single-seater guy. I hate closed racing cars.

I'm not completely sure about the logic behind the idea to create single-seater formula with open wheels, but I believe the logic was this:

Single-seater:
- ultra light
- driver+machine in the ultimate, most purpose built solution possible
- people can see the driver and the driver can escape in case of fire

Then the Germans came up with this:

The later picture might be from a console game, but you get the idea. The streamlined race cars were extremely fast, way too fast for anyone's comfort and people realized this. If we're going to have ultimate race cars, there's some limits that we need. So the added engine rules that limited the power. But streamliners were still fast on the straightlines, and that caused headache for tire manufacturers. Their product was hidden.

So the benefits from open wheel regulations:
- more drag, less straightline speed
- tire brand can be seen
- less about aerodynamics, more about mechanical grip

So the only way I see it that open wheelers were created to make the most purpose built race cars slower. Remember that these single-seater open wheelers had no riding mechanic or big block engines. And topless race cars were the thing in the pre-60s even in sports car racing, so open cockpit was common sight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***

funny that they allowed the germans to race a streamlined racing machine among open wheelers

and yet they won everything

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:33 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

LucasWheldon wrote:

funny that they allowed the germans to race a streamlined racing machine among open wheelers

and yet they won everything

Somethings don't change, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:
I don't think hitting debris is that rare, though. I can think of several examples where a driver has been struck by debris, and there must be hundreds of near misses with bouncing wheels and bodywork.

Watching Robert Kubica's Montreal accident from the onboard of one of the Toro Rosso cars really shows the debris field caused by a big accident in a modern F1 car. Again, I'm not saying that I support the halo, or a canopy, but I'm open to the idea of drivers not getting a face full of wheel. I wonder if we'd have been having this discussion with higher cockpit sides if TBK had existed in 1994?

1990s TBK wrote:
I just don't see the point of raising the cockpit sides. It wouldn't have helped Senna, it might have helped Ratzenberger, but come on... we know that it only happened because his front wing collapsed, so it doesn't even fix the problem.

I think F1 has bigger problems in the shape of the artificial racing created by refuelling.

Please don't do this. What you just did is like telling someone who complains about tarmac outside of La Source's hairpin exit, that they would like gravel re-introduced at Eau Rouge. It's a mean - though often used - strategy to invalidate an opinion by pushing it out of its limits until it becomes ridiculous. Analogies only work in strictly controlled application boundaries and we've blown out of those here.

You describe a straw man argument. This wasn't one - all I did was make a tacky joke based on TBK's collective ability to always find something to complain about when it comes to what F1 'should' be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
The question should be seriously asked and if necessary, the philosophy of single-seater racing be revised deeply. Just, instead of doing it step by step like Indycar is doing (and now F1), just straight out put a commission onto this and cover all those issues, if the result is that single-seaters should not race anymore, I will accept that more than the shit-looking shit that Indycar and F1 are slowly pulling off year after year.

You kind of rephrased the idea I was getting at two weeks ago:
The question is, if all open-wheel classes had unlimited money and workforce, what their final goal would be? Would they cover their cars, develop everything in terms of ultimate safety, and stop racing at dangerous tracks like Brands Hatch or Zandvoort and built 20 new Austins? Would all the open-wheel classes look same if they had unlimited budget?

I'm afraid no one is thinking these philosophical questions, even though the people regulating the series should think about the distant future of the series. But like we have seen in F1, even in one year's perspective things get too complex to decide anything.

I'm optimistic that no matter what, drivers and fans themselves want some kind of variety. Let's imagine that there had always been a world dictator who only allowed - let's say - saloon car racing. That would have been popular because there would be no competition. But once the dictator dies, new types of motorsport start to emerge. Some drivers want to race at public roads (birth of rally), some on faster cars (prototypes), some on motorcycles, some on dirt (rallycross/speedway racing). For children there would be a racing series that would be cheap and take place in a small playground area (pedal cars -> karting). Maybe that new category for kids would evolve into open-wheel/open-cockpit cars that resemble F1.

So if formula cars will become too indistinguishable from closed car racing, some people might create a new series that is once again more like old F1 cars. Similarly, if they would change football, athletics, gymnastics, swimming or skiing too much, some people would always revert back to the basics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:09 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

NVirkkula wrote:
coldtyre wrote:
Many people have brought out Indycar and how the car looks more and more like a sportscar, I see some discussion here about the differentiation about open-wheel and open-cockpit racing, etc... So I would like to ask: why do we have single-seaters in the first place? Why open-wheel? It's a genuine question.

Is it worth fighting for these kind of series to survive, given that they only look like they do because of historical reasons (first automobiles of late 19th century, roadster design...), and given that no major series seems to be willing to accept the associated risks: wheel-tangling, cars and wheels flying off, head impacts, restricted cockpit space?

I'm not completely sure about the logic behind the idea to create single-seater formula with open wheels, but I believe the logic was this:

Single-seater:
- ultra light
- driver+machine in the ultimate, most purpose built solution possible
- people can see the driver and the driver can escape in case of fire

Then the Germans came up with this:

The later picture might be from a console game, but you get the idea. The streamlined race cars were extremely fast, way too fast for anyone's comfort and people realized this. If we're going to have ultimate race cars, there's some limits that we need. So the added engine rules that limited the power. But streamliners were still fast on the straightlines, and that caused headache for tire manufacturers. Their product was hidden.

So the benefits from open wheel regulations:
- more drag, less straightline speed
- tire brand can be seen
- less about aerodynamics, more about mechanical grip

So the only way I see it that open wheelers were created to make the most purpose built race cars slower. Remember that these single-seater open wheelers had no riding mechanic or big block engines. And topless race cars were the thing in the pre-60s even in sports car racing, so open cockpit was common sight.

I've not read the pre-war regulations in any detail but I think the reason most manufacturers generally stuck with open wheel designs was to do with the maximum weight limit of 750kg, not because they were obliged by the regulations. It seems strange today but back then they had maximum weight limits (I guess the theory being that this would limit engine size and therefore power), and there's the classic story about the Mercedes and Auto Union cars being so finely built to that limit they had to shave the white paint off and race them with the bare metal. Enclosing the wheels would have had its benefits, as shown by the purpose-built streamliners for their speed record attempts, but would have come with a lot of additional weight.

They also tried other closed-cockpit variants, such as this C-Type for Monza ...

Before there was much understanding of aerodynamics, having the wheels open was the easiest way to reduce drag (but even then we can see with the streamliners that when an effort was made, creating drag-efficient bodywork worked better still) and also reduce weight - two sure fire ways to go faster even then without investing too much in body research and design. Hence most purpose built racing cars going down that route. In the end, I think Formula One became a specified open-wheel formula out of tradition. Sports cars, as we've seen from these pictures, had various traditions of open and closed-cockpits (and in recent years at Le Mans we've seen both) but always closed wheels.

I'm not sure why I wrote this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:37 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

OS wrote:

You had good points in your post. It was all about weight reduction. Remove the fenders, remove the headlights, remove the other seat. Aerodynamics in the early days were just taking it's child steps. The aviation had just been invented few decades ago and space flight was only a science fiction from Jules Verne's silly books for crying out loud! Just like saying in the mid-90's that we all would have a computer+telephone+camera+videocamera+portable knowledge machine in our pockets in two decades. So like you said, dropping weight was more important than streamline design, eventhough it was valid design for top speed records. But on the race tracks the top speed was not what mattered.

So all in all, open-wheel design = less weight. That is, if you take most of the nuances away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sounds like Pascal Wehrlein will be racing for Manor
http://sportbild.bild.de/formel-1/2016/formel-1/wehrlein-steigt-in-die-formel-1-auf-44501668.sport.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good for him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

"It's not for his talent, it's not for his money, it's because we want access to the Mercedes windtunnel"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
"It's not for his talent, it's not for his money, it's because we want access to the Mercedes windtunnel"

Well, at least it's a variation of the normal pay driver story :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Interesting to see how he'll perform. To me Pascal is big question, because he skipped GP3 and GP2 and in F3 he didn't shine. Technically with only 16 license points he shouldn't even be qualified for F1 when compared to Ocon, Rosenqvist or Vandoorne.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

don't take those superlicense points too seriously, the kid won in DTM and could be very helpful

it's not like Albers, who ended runner up in DTM and then got some disposable time in F1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

coldtyre wrote:

I think open wheelers are looking like they got rid of all the unnecessary stuff so it is made to go as fast as possible around a circuit. Furthermore it gives an extra adrenaline shot if the wheels get close together or are even banging wheels. And you see more how the driver is working in the car I think. I know sports cars often have cameras inside, but it is not the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
Interesting to see how he'll perform. To me Pascal is big question, because he skipped GP3 and GP2 and in F3 he didn't shine. Technically with only 16 license points he shouldn't even be qualified for F1 when compared to Ocon, Rosenqvist or Vandoorne.

Technically only 16 points?
So the FIA went nuts over RBR signing Max Verstappen at the age of 17, introduced the points system + age limit to prevent this in the future and now they apparently allow someone with not enough points to enter F1?

Please tell me I understood it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:43 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

NVirkkula wrote:
OS wrote:

You had good points in your post. It was all about weight reduction. Remove the fenders, remove the headlights, remove the other seat. Aerodynamics in the early days were just taking it's child steps. The aviation had just been invented few decades ago and space flight was only a science fiction from Jules Verne's silly books for crying out loud! Just like saying in the mid-90's that we all would have a computer+telephone+camera+videocamera+portable knowledge machine in our pockets in two decades. So like you said, dropping weight was more important than streamline design, eventhough it was valid design for top speed records. But on the race tracks the top speed was not what mattered.

So all in all, open-wheel design = less weight. That is, if you take most of the nuances away.

Valid points or not, I probably wrote it to avoid doing work ... and here I am again.

In the end, open wheel cars have offered the best solution for everything except straight-line speed records which even today are undertaken with covered wheeled machines, and that's with a much greater understanding of aero so you imagine they've kept it like that for a reason. With the exception of streamlined straight-line machines, open wheel seems to provide less drag than conventional bodywork. And now we have wings to provide more grip.

I'm still curious though. There's no real fair comparison between closed-wheel and open-wheel to see which really is faster. In the 80s there was Group C and F1 ... a quick check shows that around Brands Hatch in 1984, F1 was about seven seconds faster. There's a similar margin today between the pole times in the WEC and F1 at Silverstone. However, the Group C cars weighed in at 800kg compared to F1s 540kg, and WEC cars are 900kg to F1s 700kg. Group Cs had Ground Effect though, and this had been banned in F1 by that point. (I'm not sure if the WEC has this.) F1 doesn't have the same aero sophistication as it had ten years ago with winglets, but then WEC cars don't have those either.

F1 magazines periodically interview designers and ask them what they would build with technical freedom ... I recall one answer being that the whole bodywork of the car would essentially become a wing using ground effect. I can't remember whether this would be open or closed-wheel though. With the same power and same weight, it would be interesting to see which could be made to go faster.

I should probably do some work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Colin Chapman got very close to aerodynamic perfection with the Lotus 88

if they allowed that chassis development, cornering speeds would increase a lot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nice answers in this page.

When you compare current Indycars with closed Le Mans prototypes, it really is starting to get very close visually. If you keep seeking performance/weight reduction from one side, and added safety features from the other, you may converge towards a single design, unless the technical regulations do impose an arbitrary limit - which I believe is already the case as you are not allowed to cover wheels in F1 for example.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There's a mildly amusing bitch fight currently in progress between Carmen Jorda, Marco Sorenson and Richie Stanaway.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

But Stanaway was so fucking spot on :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 29151 Next