TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 517 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Yes, the rest of us have given up trying to tell the thick fucking inbreds to turn their camera sideways when filming so it looks better.

*ahem* you're talking about my wife you know... :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So has Bernie issued FOM a directive to now destroy F1 through its TV race direction? That was shoddy as hell. No shots as to why the safety car was actually called, where was the stranded car? Piss poor and not super helpful replays of the incident when there should have been alot of cameras on it. That Kimi spin was right where a couple of cameras were and no onboard. No shot of Kyvat or Mehri spinning.

In this day and age the coverage should be mind blowing with all the tech available to them that hampered them in the past (not enough camera angles, bandwidth etc). More and more frequently we have to rely on post race analysis from different broadcasters to show incidents or fan footage like the Kimi incident above.

Come on FOM pull your finger out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Williams. ...it's time to realise bottas is your future and to stop protecting massa. Your dicking about with team orders lost you a shot at that race win (pre rain)

Honestly, Massa had earned that first position and nothing says Bottas would have pulled away after passing (most of his gain may have come purely from DRS, Brundle was not sure of this as well).

They could have used Bottas to purposefully slow down the Mercs enough to perform the undershot. It was 100% sure that they could not make it with both cars, so one of the drivers should have sacrified himself to give the other a shot. It could have been Massa as well, but Massa had track position, and racecraft/experience to keep the Mercs behind later in the race when Bottas sometimes left doors open.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

webbsy wrote:
So has Bernie issued FOM a directive to now destroy F1 through its TV race direction? That was shoddy as hell. No shots as to why the safety car was actually called, where was the stranded car? Piss poor and not super helpful replays of the incident when there should have been alot of cameras on it. That Kimi spin was right where a couple of cameras were and no onboard. No shot of Kyvat or Mehri spinning.

In this day and age the coverage should be mind blowing with all the tech available to them that hampered them in the past (not enough camera angles, bandwidth etc). More and more frequently we have to rely on post race analysis from different broadcasters to show incidents or fan footage like the Kimi incident above.

Come on FOM pull your finger out.

TV coverage of F1 is shockingly bad these days, they don't need to be good because there are no other options to watch F1. Back in the day when host broadcasters did the FTA coverage and FOM the pay tv coverage they needed to be good to lure people to pay for better coverage. Now that FOM is in total control they just got lazy. The best people of FOM when they produced good coverage (1996-2002) left and did the A1GP coverage afterwards. Don't know what they are doing now though.

Formula E has very good coverage so it wouldn't surprise me they are working on that these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Speaking of the coverage, one thing has always bothered me: is there only one TV feed director or several? And do they do all the races? Because of the variability in quality between race weekends I suspect the TV director changes from time to time. For example the notorious "Monaco director" never shows the reason for yellows, while being opposite the Suzuka director usually cuts to the accident while it's happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
what about the 15 different takes of the start to show that nothing happened?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JJ wrote:
Speaking of the coverage, one thing has always bothered me: is there only one TV feed director or several? And do they do all the races? Because of the variability in quality between race weekends I suspect the TV director changes from time to time. For example the notorious "Monaco director" never shows the reason for yellows, while being opposite the Suzuka director usually cuts to the accident while it's happening.

Monaco director is whoever TMC employ to do it, so different from all the other FOM directors. I don't know if they rotate directors, I'd say not as most races other than Monaco feel pretty similar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:28 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
what about the 15 different takes of the start to show that nothing happened?

This!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bottas did look faster earlier in the race, and I don't think that was purely because of DRS (that might have helped, but he would have been losing far more aero performance by being so close to Massa). Had the race stayed dry, I still think their best chance of a win would have been to let Bottas through, or make sure one of their cars pitted before Mercedes to stop the undercut.

However, many people have criticised Massa over this. At the time I can understand why, but by the end of the race? He was faster than Bottas after the first pit stops and then pulled out almost half a minute(!) when it started to rain (Or did Bottas make another stop or something else I'm forgetting?). I think he deserves more credit for his race, to be honest; especially given his past performances in the wet at Silverstone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think Williams could have given team orders, or could have given message to Williams number two, whoever it was, to hold the Mercedes cars up. Instead they chose to keep it open and honest, and lost because of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:30 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think trying to slow the Mercedes cars down would be a huge risk. The main reason why they lost was the strategy, they would at least got a podium if they got the leading car a lap or so earlier in the pits, in both instances.

But hindsight is a beautiful thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:25 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Should have let Bottas through. They might not have won, but it would have given them a better chance imo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:39 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I disagree, he wasn't that much quicker and after a while even slower than Massa. But opinions differ. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bottas was quicker in the early stages, so letting Bottas through would have helped Williams' later in the race. Then seeing as Massa was quicker after the first stops, Williams could have easily switched both drivers back. Thus neither driver would have hindered the other. With Massa holding up Bottas all it served was to cost Williams around 5-15 seconds in that first stint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://soundcloud.com/miezicat/british ... team-radio

Some radio from Kimi last race. Seems he didn't make the call to go for inters, nor did he want to stay on slicks. Left it all up to the engineer it seems like.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:42 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

On the FOM Race Edit is shown Kimi's spin Onboard (short clip).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:46 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I also assume that there were bout 12 massa spins missed by the main feed too.

It's a wet silverstone tradition :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 517 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26