TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:46 am 

LucasWheldon wrote:
can't see why Ferrari had to complain about bridgestones in 2005. the japanese used to make tires to last, and Michelin made it to go fast. McLaren and Renault suited well and dominated the season, Ferrari didn't mostly due to the chassis, I guess (and because the other teams with Bridgestones was Jordan and Minardi, so Bridgestone development was also critical)

so, Michelin tyres didn't last then? :roll:

Michelin had way superior tyres, on dry and on wet. They had to last the whole race, as did the Bridgestones, but Michelin's had a lot more grip.

The same when crapirelli came back to F1 and the drivers were saying that the Bridgestones were much more durable and still gave more grip than the cheese-like crapirellis.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:
can't see why Ferrari had to complain about bridgestones in 2005. the japanese used to make tires to last, and Michelin made it to go fast. McLaren and Renault suited well and dominated the season, Ferrari didn't mostly due to the chassis, I guess (and because the other teams with Bridgestones was Jordan and Minardi, so Bridgestone development was also critical)

not in Indianapolis.

And Nürburgring, for Kimi. Ok, it was the suspension that broke, but the tyres could be held responsible

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well he did have a major flatspot after he overtook JV, so you can't really blame Michelin for that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That one was definitely Kimi's own fault.

Montoya also had the same kinda problemen in Monza with his rear tyre.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:06 am 

Also, I used to watch RAI(Italy's BBC, or sort of) back then, and Ferrari made damn sure that "la gomma" was the sole responsible for their poor year, at least to the italians. Don't remember on foreign media, but during every Sunday, which had a GP, Ferrari people were there in a tv show called "La Domenica Sportiva"(most traditional and watched sportive debate show in Italy) to bash and put all the blame on Bridgestone.

If I were from Red Bull, I would be doing probably even worse. The Renaults are by far the most expensive, despite being much worse than Mercedes in every single aspect.

The "French" engines were also said to be down on power on previous rules, but it was(also allegedly) more economical.

Imo, if you pay, you have the right to demand the best, always. Even if the previous Renaults were good(which is not certain, compared to Mercedes's V8) Red Bull paid for it and that's it. It's on the past now.

The success in previous regulation doesn't make it okay for Renault to provide such bad PU this year, imo.

But see it, the Renault PU deficit is not because they are incompetent or anything in those lines. I heard from a very well informed journo, who has info from inside the factories, that Renault PU development was done with far less budget and far less people/staff than that of Mercedes and Ferrari.

I find it strange that Renault invested much less but still charges much more from their "customers". Red Bull are smart, I heard rumours of BMW thinking of supplying PUs to F1 and going by their past in F1(which was easily the most powerful engine in the V8/V10 era of 2000s, and quite reliable too), that could be a killer combo.

Last edited by Artur Craft on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:08 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Artur Craft wrote:
The same when crapirelli came back to F1 and the drivers were saying that the Bridgestones were much more durable and still gave more grip than the cheese-like crapirellis.

Pirelli designed the tyres to do that on request. Calling them Crapirelli is stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's not forget we're only getting part of the story here. Red Bull is trash talking Renault but do we know what happened behind the scene's?
For all we know Renault promised mountains and said everything was fine on the testbench and well on schedule but coming first test it was evident they where well behind the rest

Lotus is also ow considering switching because of a troubled relationship with Renault. This could be because of unpaid or late paid bills however.

Also car company Renault, just like the other 2 French car manufacturers, are having a hard time. Which might also be the reason they seem to lack development.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:16 am 

ellis wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:

Pirelli designed the tyres to do that on request. Calling them Crapirelli is stupid.

That was not my point. The thing is that, despite being much softer, the Pirelli tyres were still slower than those of Bridgestone. Of course they(Pirelli) can make more durable tyres, but they will be even slower than the present ones. That's the sole reason Pirelli avoids competition, they were always trashed when faced GoodYears in the 80's and very early 90's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:18 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

...They were meant to be slower. It was what they were asked to make, so they made it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:20 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

They're not much slower though. If anything they're pretty much bang on Bridgestone's pace.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

not in Indianapolis.

And Nürburgring, for Kimi. Ok, it was the suspension that broke, but the tyres could be held responsible

Kimi's braking ability was really to blame. Or Villeneuve, just blame Jacques.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:26 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:33 pm 

ellis wrote:
...They were meant to be slower. It was what they were asked to make, so they made it.

I never heard that Pirelli was asked to make their tyres slower. I heard they(Pirelli) say they were asked to make tyres that wore too fast.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/65159 ... ade-faster
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 11784.html

The complain from the drivers was not only from wearing fast(thus being slower on the long run) but also slower on first lap(quali-style) pace.
phil1993 wrote:
They're not much slower though. If anything they're pretty much bang on Bridgestone's pace.

How do you know, please?

Just as an example, I remember Kimi's 2009 qualifying lap in Sepang. He was always over 260kph during the whole travel of T5. The top cars from 2011-2013, would travel the same corner, during their qlf laps, with 245kph as top speed. And you can be 99,999% sure that Ferrari 2009 car(in Sepang it didn't even had their DDD version) had tiny downforce compared to the Red Bulls of 2011-2013 which had much more development into it and EBD.

I could also pick Stowe as Vettel was cornering with 225-230kph in 2009 and 2010 while Webber's 2011 pole only had him with 200kph at the same corner. And I could keep giving examples and examples

Well, sorry for turning this thread into a total off-topic, though

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hamilton's pole position for the British GP last year was 0.008 faster than Vettel's time for pole in 2010.

The drivers can still carry speed into the corners.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:12 pm 

phil1993 wrote:
Hamilton's pole position for the British GP last year was 0.008 faster than Vettel's time for pole in 2010.

The drivers can still carry speed into the corners.

DRS, among other things such as that FRIC thing. temperature ....., I guess.

Yeah, of course, it's not much perceptible for us as it's very fast no matter if they corner at 270 or 240kph but Pirelli tyres are no doubt slower than Bridgestone, despite being softer, which was my initial point with it.

Btw, I hope for no tyre issues in 10 days, or so, time. The last thing we need is seeing a tyre exploding again, even if only one as it will trigger fear to all

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:11 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Bridgestone's philosophy made the sport dull, Pirelli was more open to bringing excitement back into the sport by doing exactly what the FIA asked it to.

For that, I'll always thank them

Oh, sorry, I should've said Bore-stone or something. Yawnstone. That's how this works, right?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Oh, sorry, I should've said Bore-stone or something. Yawnstone. That's how this works, right?

Bitchstone

OR

Brickstone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:43 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Piece of Shitstone?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:37 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

BrainPain wrote:
Yeah, since Ricciardo has beat Vettel conpletely so far this season, Vettel would lead the championship.

Of course Vettel would lead. When he's got a car that can dominate, he will dominate. Period.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26 Next