TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 2681 Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:00 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Scotty wrote:
I watched the first ep of the Drive to Survive special on Netflix last night.

As I expected, motorsport nerds will hate it. Riddled with inaccuracies. Some aspects of it were over-blown (dubbing noises over crashes to make them sound bigger).

However, if you turn off you inner TBK and take it on face value, its pretty good. Very well made, good cinematography, good insights.

Well, exactly, it's not for US

But if it turns some people's heads to check out a race who wouldn't before, then great!
Mission accomplished

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Even though it's not totally for die-hard fans, it has some interesting stuff.

I got very impressed with how they got
Spoiler:
the phone call between Steiner and Haas after Melbourne failure.

I like how they are exploring the racing footage in a more aesthetical way. However, the crashes feel like I am watching Fast and Furious. I got annoyed a bit because I have the impression they put the commentators to make some tailor-made commentating for the series like they were live (or like they were playing the role of commentators in a movie).

In the end, it was made for some binge-watching before the season starts and it's worth it.

Last edited by EAS on Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:34 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

EAS wrote:
Even though it's not totally for die-hard fans, it has some interesting stuff.

Of course not, the die hard fans will be frustrated by the lack of shootings, German terrorists and swearing :whistling:

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:56 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:

As I expected, motorsport nerds will hate it. Riddled with inaccuracies. Some aspects of it were over-blown (dubbing noises over crashes to make them sound bigger).

However, if you turn off you inner TBK and take it on face value, its pretty good. Very well made, good cinematography, good insights.

Yeah definitely a bit annoying to watch as a die hard F1 fan. But it's clearly aimed at the casual fan and should do well to draw them in. The one thing I really enjoyed was the inner team conversations that you don't get to see otherwise. Although I have to say the editing was really poor, even as a casual fan. Jumping from a season recap, to winter testing, back to a race...not good flow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was hoping it'd have more inside access like the McLaren show of Amazon Prime did. The Steiner call with Haas was the only part I enjoyed in the whole episode. I guess the latter episodes where they'll deal with Ricciardo's boiling discontent with Verstappen and eventual exit to Renault might be interesting but otherwise the same old humdrum 'omg these guys are fighter pilots defying death at 200 mph' casual fan pandering, and that's totally understandable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Scotty wrote:

As I expected, motorsport nerds will hate it. Riddled with inaccuracies.

But if it turns some people's heads to check out a race who wouldn't before, then great!
Mission accomplished

Yeah and then they'll immediately turn off after 10 minutes because the on track product is not what was portrayed in the docudrama.

Casual fans are a myth, you're either into a particular past time, or you're not, I watch racing, I don't watch football and if I casually stumble across a football match while channel surfing I carry on to the next channel, I don't "casually tune in" to the match. This is the problem with having busiensses running sports, they neglect to understand the fact that your core audience is far more likely to bring in a new viewer, than it is you yourself hook in a casual fan, the target audience is limited and they should concerntrate on pleasing them instead of alienating them in pursuit of a mythical casual fan who doesn't really exist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:06 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Scotty wrote:

I've seen the first 5, it's pretty decent indeed.

I'm annoyed though about the fact they use images from different GP's when they talk about a certain driver or team's race.

Also lulz that some teams sure love to troll Grosjean and Haas :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:

Admittedly I only watched Ep1 with half an eye on the TV, so I’m interested to know the inaccuracies I missed. Care to share please? That way I don’t have to go and rewatch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In the first four episodes, where there is a clear Daniel Ricciardo arch, the series sell Red Bull as title contenders in a way they were far from being. This is the only inaccuracy that called my attention so far.

They tried to catch the stories behind the season much more than the coldness of standings.

By the way, the fourth episode, focusing on the tension between Red Bull and Renault is awesome. Some great paddock stuff from Horner and Abiteboul right there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also some of the radio transmissions they used between Ricciardo and RBR pitwall in Free Practice Melbourne sounded like it was taken from latter races and portrayed as if Ricciardo was driving the car for the first time and all of a sudden it had transformed into this stallion that was ready to win the championship.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:47 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I dunno, ricciardo won 2 out of the first 6 races iirc, it wasn't a stretch to think red bull would keep developing and be in with a shout.
This was a year that started with ferrari winning back to back and Bottas looking like he was the stronger merc driver after all.

But yeah, if merc and ferrari had taken part in this, I guess the narrative would be much, much different.

I enjoyed ep 1 a lot but thought there were far too many narrators.
I get they were going for a senna vibe with cut footage but half the lines felt the were recorded specifically for the docco instead of being cut from commentary
It'd prob be better off if they just focused on ben edwards and 1 local commentator imo

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Yeah and then they'll immediately turn off after 10 minutes because the on track product is not what was portrayed in the docudrama.

Casual fans are a myth, you're either into a particular past time, or you're not, I watch racing, I don't watch football and if I casually stumble across a football match while channel surfing I carry on to the next channel, I don't "casually tune in" to the match. This is the problem with having busiensses running sports, they neglect to understand the fact that your core audience is far more likely to bring in a new viewer, than it is you yourself hook in a casual fan, the target audience is limited and they should concerntrate on pleasing them instead of alienating them in pursuit of a mythical casual fan who doesn't really exist.

I think you're applying your form of fandom to everyone. It's a pretty common strategy to attract new fans to a sport by pushing character stories of it in front of them, and once they start caring about those characters, that's the hook to get then seeking out more coverage, watching live telecasts and maybe looking for a race to attend. The racing spectacle, exaggerated or not, has not much more to do with it than material for the ads to get people watching the series.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:52 am 

Karan wrote:
Also some of the radio transmissions they used between Ricciardo and RBR pitwall in Free Practice Melbourne sounded like it was taken from latter races and portrayed as if Ricciardo was driving the car for the first time and all of a sudden it had transformed into this stallion that was ready to win the championship.

They do this a lot, it's bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lance Stroll, Vitaly Petrov, Aguri Suzuki, Philippe Streiff, Stefano Moddena, Ivan Capelli and........Pastor Maldonado

Just some of the drivers that have scored a podium in F1 while Nico Hulkenburg has a big fat 0 next to his name. He would sure as shit want to get his name on that list. If he doesn't do it this year then maybe I will start to think that he actually isn't as good as I thought him to be.

@Scotty Red Bull liked to crap on about how much they paid Renault for their engines, then compared to Merc and Ferrari underpaid the drivers by a significant margin! Yep, no wonder he jumped ship. Could see the writing on the wall in regards to status then glanced down at the cheque Renault dangled in front of him. No brainer really.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

In Red Bull's defence, the driver contracts they employ are (or were) bonus-heavy to incentivise the drivers. Max's new contract was the first to break that system, at least in part.

Although they obviously weren't offering Max 50 million dollarydoos and he won't get close to that even if he wins the championship.

I do wonder where the money for that sort of salary comes from. Ghosn isn't in any position to authorise that sort of budget increase, and they are down to just one engine customer which is a fairly significant source of revenue. Could be that Ghosn did sign it off before he got nicked, I suppose, although what that means for the future is up for debate.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I watched the first episode on Netflix.

I don't know what to think about it. It was not bad. But I didn't feel urged to watch the other episodes.

The HAAS part was great. But a bit sad losing so many valuable points. I was forgotten both cars had the same problem, and I felt sorry for the guys responsible for that.

But the part with Ricciardo was in my opinion typical American-ish to include his parents to add some emotional drama.

Apparently Ferrari and Mercedes didn't wanted to cooperate, which is a real pity.

So I don't know. They should make these and post one week after each Grand Prix, then it would make much more sense. Seeing things from a year ago doesn't make much sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Driver salaries in Freedom Dollars and in the same order (it was driving me insane to compute what an Australian Dollar was to get an idea)

Code:
 51 730 000
 39 410 000
 34 300 000
 12 950 000
 8 400 000
 4 550 000
 4 550 000
 3 850 000
 3 220 000
 3 220 000
 1 820 000
 1 291 500
 1 162 000
 1 162 000
 560 000
 297 500
 259 000
 226 100
 180 600
 168 000

Even though the top salaries are obnoxious, I still think a couple hundred thousands is kind of a shitty salary to drive an F1 car at that level, even for rookies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
Apparently Ferrari and Mercedes didn't wanted to cooperate, which is a real pity.

Agree, but it then gives off a special vibe that the Ferrari/Mercedes teams are so far away in front that they're just that ominous, faceless, emotionless and crushing Villain that always wins in the background while we're mostly following the underdogs. It fits the stories perfectly.

I like the series in general for what it is. It's not a season review nor a documentary, hence why each episode is more about a main theme rather than a chronological order in races.
It's doing a better job at dramatization than most Hollywood movies about racing ever did. Even as a hardcore fan I feel we're still seeing snips of the team managers/drivers' lives that you never get to experience during the season. Pleasantly surprised overall.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:56 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The bottom end is pretty pathetic when you think about it even if they have performance bonus payments. The big surprises to me are Sainz is getting $900,000 more than Leclerc and Albon and Russell are getting bugger all. Hey Albon and Russell, F1 is soo glamorous isn't it? you might be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment in a really really shitty area of town far away from the action lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But thats all base salaries.
Red Bull works with lots of bonusses so Albon's salary might be higher in the end.

And thats what Williams is paying him, maybe Mercedes is also paying him.

Besides that, I think the entire grid would have driven for free in their first season just because it means they have a shot to proof themselves.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 2681 Next