TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24141 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
kals wrote:
It has as many sponsors as Sauber did back in 1993, so entirely appropriate for its 25th anniversary.

Didn't they have a lot of (secret) Mercedes backing back then?

Also, Sauber's current budget would probably make them one of the best, if not the best, funded teams on the grid in 1993.

Mercedes funded the team back then although it wasn't a secret. Sauber entered at the behest of Mercedes and the plan was for them to become the official Mercedes team after a couple of development seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

oh yeah, the car did say "Concept by Mercedes".

But I think they didn't want to fully commit yet because they first wanted to know how things went.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes that's right

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:12 pm 
The most anticipated member

I don't know If it's the lightning but I found it beautiful! Much better than previous years!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:20 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I forget now, did the rules specifically outlaw the F-duct after 2010 or did the teams just go in another aero direction themselves with the return of kers for 2011 etc

Maybe we could see it back now, the only benefit of the ugly shark fins imo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
I forget now, did the rules specifically outlaw the F-duct after 2010 or did the teams just go in another aero direction themselves with the return of kers for 2011 etc

I don't believe they would be allowed to use the shark-fin as an F-duct as I believe it's no longer allowed to get close enough to the rear wing. Also with the lower rear wings this year I'm not sure the sort of thing they had in 2010 would be possible.

In terms of the regulations, I believe that the wording bans driver operated wing stalling devices (As it was felt drivers going around 1 handed through corners like Eau Rouge wasn't safe) but that teams are still allowed to come up with passive systems if they can get them to work.

If you recall a few years back Lotus spent about 2 years trying to get a passive wing stalling device working via a pressure valve that opened above a certain wind speed & directed air through the end-plates & onto the main element to stall it. However they were never able to get it to work correctly as calibrating it proved difficult so they moved away from the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:51 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yeah, the one handed start stuff was a bit dodgy but Mclaren's solution by using a knee seemed like the best fit.

Every time I vaccum I think about it, there's always an F-Duct on a vacuum cleaner :p

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

Gary Anderson has noted that that area was controlled by regs after the last batch of fins, but 'they seem to have missed it this year'...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:21 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

F Duct+DRS

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Gary Anderson has noted that that area was controlled by regs after the last batch of fins, but 'they seem to have missed it this year'...

Teams probably wanted it/argued for them to return, as they would have a better effect at directing air to the new rear wings, compared to the last.

Seems most likely. Either that and/or (probably and) the FIA missed it out of some draft, and everyone kept quiet for that very reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have linked the Sauber launch thread from the first post - will do the same with the Renault launch today, so if you happen to spot it, start a thread :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh, and did Lewis' comments about data sharing get mentioned in here? Seems like he is trying to put a line in the sand for Bottas, without taking into account that Bottas is a Finnish F1 Driver and therefore not signed up for mind games...

...also Lewis failed to mention the many times he took advantage of access to his team mate's data, because of course that is different!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:23 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
Oh, and did Lewis' comments about data sharing get mentioned in here? Seems like he is trying to put a line in the sand for Bottas, without taking into account that Bottas is a Finnish F1 Driver and therefore not signed up for mind games...

...also Lewis failed to mention the many times he took advantage of access to his team mate's data, because of course that is different!

I don't get the bad comments he got. He specifically said that sharing the data for the setup etc. to get the team forward was fine, but he doesn't like sharing explicit lines and braking points and he doesn't look at his teammates data regarding that. And I completely agree. It would be much more interesting that way and you could see the (in)abilities of a driver much more

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:38 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I actually only read it at how much not of a team player he seems to be. And for a corporate team, it's almost silly to have such a person. I wondedr what 'actions' the board will take if Lewis would post the data on twitter like he did at mclaren. It seems the Austrian boys are protecting Lewis more then Vettel ever received at Red Bull. Don't get me wrong, at some level I understand it, but compared to the relative benign things Rosberg has been punished for, it's just silly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Justin Time wrote:
I don't get the bad comments he got. He specifically said that sharing the data for the setup etc. to get the team forward was fine, but he doesn't like sharing explicit lines and braking points and he doesn't look at his teammates data regarding that. And I completely agree. It would be much more interesting that way and you could see the (in)abilities of a driver much more

It's just typical Lewis, not thinking things all the way through before saying things. He certainly does have a fair point, but it only works if everyone ignores how often he has directly benefited from it! The bit about him not looking is a lie - he definitely used Nico's data on several occasions after being affected by reliability or setup issues, and then there was tweeting a picture of Jenson's data at Spa(!).

Moreover, it's a lame attempt at psyching out Bottas:

Quote:
"I go out, do my laps, do all my homework, [and] the other guy can see everything," said Hamilton.

"I have asked my team. I don't want to see my team mate's.

"I don't feel it's fair that he brings his A-game and I should be able to study his A-game on a computer.

"For example when we're driving we're picking out braking points, bumps, tyre rubber marks on the track, all these different things to help get you through the corner quickest.

"The other driver probably naturally may be able to do more or less than you are.

"But because of this data they can just copy you. 'Oh he's braking five metres later there, I'll go out and I'll try braking five metres later'.

Note how he is straight out of the gate with the 'the other driver' nonsense. If it barely worked on Britney, what on earth is he expecting!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's not pretend like Lewis is the first and only person to not want to share data. His point is self-conflicting but I agree with what he's saying.

Some of the legends of the sport refused to share data with their team mates, Prost is a prime example.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Let's not pretend like Lewis is the first and only person to not want to share data. His point is self-conflicting but I agree with what he's saying.

Some of the legends of the sport refused to share data with their team mates, Prost is a prime example.

Yeah, this is kinda what I meant, only worded in a way that makes sense :D

What he is doing/saying is nothing new, it's just clumsily done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:08 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
kals wrote:

So all three of us agree when worded by kals :D I think it would be more interesting this way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
kals wrote:

He's asked a question, he answers, he gets negative commentary as a result. It's not mind games or attempted oneupmanship, it's just fodder to fill column inches.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I know the coverage of him is unfairly negative a lot of the time, but it does constantly surprise me that someone who has spent their entire adult life working with PR people and Ron Dennis is still worse at this stuff than Damon Hill (for example) ever was.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24141 Next