TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1208 209 210 211 212302 Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If they make it like this at Suzuka its ok. Cuz its half gravel, half tarmac. And not completley tarmac till the barriers.
It allows for some errors to not be punished straight away, but im afraid for Monza there will be tarmac till the barriers :(

But yeah, brake failure or tyre flies off like on Barrichello Hungary 03 wont for sure slow down the car

Last edited by alex1369 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cambridge wrote:
cookie wrote:
Brake failure there and you're fucked, gravel slows you down, this tarmac won't when you go in straigth

actually at that point you're about 320/330, a brake failure there would probably make you float over gravel and you're fucked anyway. plus if you have a warwick/diniz type of crash there's more chance you'll suffer big damages on gravel than on tarmac

Gravel will always slow you down more than tarmac. The first contact with the graveltrap (that makes the car skip) will slow a car down more than just tarmac that does nothing when you go in straigth. It has no friction. Skipping over gravel has friction everytime the car bottoms out and slows the car

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

alex1369 wrote:
If they make it like this at Suzuka its ok. Cuz its half gravel, half tarmac. And not completley tarmac till the barriers.
It allows for some errors to not be punished straight away, but im afraid for Monza there will be tarmac till the barriers :(

But yeah, brake failure or tyre flies off like on Barrichello Hungary 03 wont for sure slow down the car

Personally I think they have the gravel and tarmac the wrong way round. Inverse it, and you have the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:49 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Huge crash after Brake Failure, cause no Gravel to slow the car down. Im callin it....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Aerogi pretty much summed up how I feel. Yes, tarmac may be safer for a lot of accidents (if we ignore the fact it's terrible in the wet or if a car arrives with a missing wheel), but it ruins the show when it becomes impossible for a car to retire or lose a lot of time through a mistake. Yes, you want F1 to be safe, but you have to draw a line where there is still some kind of risk of retirement and excitement.

If you have no problem with every run off becoming tarmac because it's safer, would you have a problem with the cars being restricted to 150mph, or every circuit being designed like Paul Ricard? Or the open wheels and cockpits being closed? After all, it's safer, right?

They may as well start racing on car parks with white lines defining some kind of track.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
and all the tracks will become a giant version of the Ceasar's Palace track

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Why do so many people act so surprised each and every time this happens? It is not like it hasn't happened before, nor will it be the last time. But every time a corner's run-off is replaced with tarmac we cry and shout as if this is new to us. This will continue to happen. End of story.

None of us like it but it doesn't mean we have to say the same things every time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want to complain, this is the wrong place to do it. Go e-mail FIA/FIM/Monza and complain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

We are good at saying the same thing over and over on this forum.

Kimi pits.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

and then we realize nothing is going to change, only get worse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:31 pm 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

kals wrote:
Why do so many people act so surprised each and every time this happens? It is not like it hasn't happened before, nor will it be the last time. But every time a corner's run-off is replaced with tarmac we cry and shout as if this is new to us. This will continue to happen. End of story.

None of us like it but it doesn't mean we have to say the same things every time.

TL;DR - Resistance is futile. Discussion must cease.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:39 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's called ever decreasing circles. What we love about the sport ebbs away little by little year on year until you realise it's a completely different prospect to the sport that appealed to you in the first place.

The question you have to ask yourself is if there's enough left at any one time to keep you watching

Ironically through all this I find the sport a lot more appealing than I did 10 years ago.
Just wish we had the tracks of 10 years ago too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EsbenT wrote:
kals wrote:

TL;DR - Resistance is futile. Discussion must cease.

Sorry but what?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

To be fair, something mildly F1 related needs to be discussed in this thread during this long break between races...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:

probably because we (or some of us) are 'hanging on' to the few 'daring' and very fast corners that still exist on the whole calendar. Everytime another one is tarmacced (is that a verb?) it feels like another punch in the stomach.

watching a single stage in the Tour the France gives us more 'blood' than 5 full seasons of F1...

that last sentence is an ironic comment...

But I undertand that for motorraces this is much more safer. I can live with that. But that doesn't mean I cannot be dissappointed as seeing those cars coming out to the straight will not give me that adrenaline like it used to be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
This will continue to happen. End of story.

Not if the next FIA president happens to be TBK member who will order to tear up all asphalt and install new gravel traps for every circuit :mrgreen:
Has that actually happened? Tarmac replaced in favor of gravel? I know Brands Hatch Paddock Hill Bend used to have asphalt.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
Not if the next FIA president happens to be TBK member who will order to tear up all asphalt and install new gravel traps for every circuit :mrgreen:

not gonna happen, someway in between he'll get corrupted and will be the same as usual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:51 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

It's not just us complaining though. My Facebook timeline is filled with drivers (Vilander, Piccini, Chandhok amongst others) complaining about "YET ANOTHER ruined corner" :p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree with the strip of grass thing, cause that will still be punishing a mistake with the dirt and crap on the tyres....assuming that it is in fact real grass and not just astro turf (which it will most likely be).

The problem for me, and I think quite a few of us on this forum, is that each year the FIA is taking incremental steps with regulations and rules that are taking the sport further away from its core essence. The tarmacing of a corner that doesn't need it is the latest example. I now don't quite see F1 as the unique series as it once was, the pinnacle of driving and technological standards, rather in my eyes it has become just another racing series (still the highest). I can't count F1 as standing alone any more. It sadly to me has become a more glamorised version of CART.

Its such a shame, cause the racing these last couple of year has been fantastic throughout the field, but even I have to take that with a pinch of salt. Is the racing great because of, well its F1, its the best of the best, or is the racing great because of the more restrictive/gimmicky regulations that have effectively turned the sport into a quasi one make series?

So even the great action has a slight fake tinge to me. And that makes me sad. And it makes me feel conflicted, because I know deep down that I'm not watching the spectacle that I fell in love with, but I still can't get enough of it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
If you want to complain, this is the wrong place to do it.

If that was actually true, boy would this place be a ghost town...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1208 209 210 211 212302 Next