TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1283 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 565 Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003
Yeah!!! Spa.

Maybe, just maybe it will be epic. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:37 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

cookie wrote:
(but then the FIA shits in the face of every fan by giving penalty's to the man who made the race memorable)

Real F1 fans doesn't like drivers who got an advantage of cutting chicanes. Just like Button did with Webber yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Regiotap wrote:
cookie wrote:
(but then the FIA shits in the face of every fan by giving penalty's to the man who made the race memorable)

Real F1 fans doesn't like drivers who got an advantage of cutting chicanes. Just like Button did with Webber yesterday.

Don't, just don't...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:23 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

great my favorite race of the year Kimi always shines in spa last year he could have won but the rain came at the wrong time for him

i hope that this years race will be a classic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:43 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

cookie wrote:
JJ wrote:
I agree completely with the ones remindings us that even recently we have seen blatantly dull GPs at Spa.
Last year it seemed I was the only person to perceive the race as an entity. While most people only remembered the last 5 laps, thus giving rates from 8 to 10, the more realistic and worthy number would have been around 5 or even below it.
Therefore I don't have high expectations for the race if it's dry. Track might be fantastic but in terms of racing, sadly, it usually means nothing.

Sorry, but the 2008 race will always be remembered for that great fight at the end, just like Dijon 1979. That race was also very boring except for that final battle. But now people who never saw that race claim it is one of the best races ever.
Last years race was boring, but the end makes up for that. So it was a good race when at the end you can say " wow, that was amazing"

This is exactly what I mean. The whole race doesn't have to be epic to make the race memorable. Usually the races are everything but epic, and you just can't predict when a big battle, controversy or a crash is going to happen.
Most of you who says that Spa was boring last year had their expectations way too high. And it's partially because of the track it happened. If the finish we had at Spa last year would have happened at, say, Shanghai, everyone would keep saying how great it was.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

yes last year had only 5-7 good laps, but those laps where the best ever, and at least there where good laps, you can't say that about most of this years races

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

NVirkkula wrote:
cookie wrote:
JJ wrote:
I agree completely with the ones remindings us that even recently we have seen blatantly dull GPs at Spa.
Last year it seemed I was the only person to perceive the race as an entity. While most people only remembered the last 5 laps, thus giving rates from 8 to 10, the more realistic and worthy number would have been around 5 or even below it.
Therefore I don't have high expectations for the race if it's dry. Track might be fantastic but in terms of racing, sadly, it usually means nothing.

Sorry, but the 2008 race will always be remembered for that great fight at the end, just like Dijon 1979. That race was also very boring except for that final battle. But now people who never saw that race claim it is one of the best races ever.
Last years race was boring, but the end makes up for that. So it was a good race when at the end you can say " wow, that was amazing"

This is exactly what I mean. The whole race doesn't have to be epic to make the race memorable. Usually the races are everything but epic, and you just can't predict when a big battle, controversy or a crash is going to happen.
Most of you who says that Spa was boring last year had their expectations way too high. And it's partially because of the track it happened. If the finish we had at Spa last year would have happened at, say, Shanghai, everyone would keep saying how great it was.

I'm sorry but Spa was boring for most of the race last year, and only picked up because it started raining. The last three laps are only memorable because it rained, otherwise it would've been little better than 2007, which was utterly depressing aside from the start. There were other completely dry races which offered more excitement the whole race through, such as Melbourne and Fuji. Which is a shame because it's not been that long since Spa did offer flag-to-flag action in the dry as far as F1 is concerned (2004).

But, yes, the race is memorable because of those three laps.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:03 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

2004 had a wet qualifying though, which contributed to the action in the race. But then it also had the tyre war, and the v10 engines, which made it about 10 times better than the last two races there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:13 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Well my point of view is that that there's hardly a handful of races that has been AWESOME from flag to flag on this new V8-era. We should be grateful if we get anything extra-ordinary going on at the track these days. It's a shame, but FIA is to blame on it. If it rains, the race will start behind safety car (after like 20 laps of it) or the race will be stopped because of heavy shower. These days you can't even count on rain either, as Shanghai wasn't too exciting either.

Most of you would probably admit that based on track-action so far, this has been quite boring season for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

You can't actually blame the track though.

If a series turns up and puts on a shitty race at such a great track then the fault is with the series itself and its shitty aero regulations.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

drivers lacking balls + double diffuser = fail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:15 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Shaddix wrote:

There's a handful of drivers who has balls. Hamilton, Alonso and Räikkönen for example...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It's not like the drivers have no 'balls', I blame the teams, they use pitstops to pass other drivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

about the balls ... when BBC interviewed Jenson before the race he actually said he hoped to pass a lot of people in the PITS
a GP2 car is only 8 secs a lap slower, they have more winglets etc. and they overtook like hell in Valencia, shouldn't a F1 car be able to do at least a quarter of that amount of overtaking?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

GP2 cars don't have DDDs. GP2 drivers are also very prone to mistakes which allow anyone following a chance of getting past.

It has been a very dull year with regards to the racing. Just need to redefine a hole as a gap, and the problem should be sorted.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

They have ruin this track imo :( Especially the first corner. I really hate all that tarmac around the track and all the run-off area's :( Although I'm still looking forward to this race. Hope kimi can take the victory!

Still thinking about to visit spa on friday to take some pictures, but atm I don't have that much money :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:08 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Shaddix wrote:

There's a handful of drivers who has balls. Hamilton, Alonso and Räikkönen for example...

yeah, when we had Hamilton and Alonso near the back earlier in the season we got lots of ballsy overtaking moves, especially at Silverstone when they were fighting for, like, 12th

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:15 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Bring it on :)

Force India to score first points ever :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:24 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

And Fisi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shaddix wrote:
about the balls ... when BBC interviewed Jenson before the race he actually said he hoped to pass a lot of people in the PITS
a GP2 car is only 8 secs a lap slower, they have more winglets etc. and they overtook like hell in Valencia, shouldn't a F1 car be able to do at least a quarter of that amount of overtaking?

They have ground effect, so the winglets don't even make as much of a difference.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1283 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 565 Next