TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1182 183 184 185 186302 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

webbsy wrote:
Could this actually be the end of Kimi? In the interview he did with Brundel in the British build up he said that he would walk away mid season if his desire left him. He has looked pretty dejected and this big accident might just be the catalyst.

When was the last time that a direct F1 technology made it into mass produced road cars (not exotic)? I can only think of the turbos, the radial tyre and the flappy paddle gearbox (but that is kind of exotic), maybe carbon fibre. F1 has never been about getting the technology into road cars (that's what touring cars are for) rather it has always been about the prestige. Win on Sunday and sell on Monday.

Kimi hasn't had the desire all season. He left the first time, spent all his money, came back to audition for Ferrari to pay him again. He got his fat ass check and he's disappeared again. If he cared about competing for championships again he never would have went back to Ferrari. It's only gotten worse since he's left. I used to a be a huge fan but I wish Ferrari would pay him to fuck off once more. No use having him there when he's not arsed and the team are in such a horrible spot. They need to wipe the slate completely clean and they need to do it with Bianchi.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:26 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Kimi still got his motivation to complete this and the next season. He's been all out of luck this year, there's been bad strategy calls and the car is not working for him as it does for Alonso. Yesterday he had a great start, was already 11th when being overly aggressive caught him. What does that have to do with his motivation? Kimi will bounce back to his level when everything clicks for him. Monaco was a good example until Chilton crashed him. People seem to forget the good things. Kimi is not there for the money or to just cruising around. He still wants to be on top and he's working to get back there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Kobayashi has Ferrari links still doesn't he?

I fucking wish.

I'm 90% sure that if Ferrari need someone else at Hockenheim that Jules' number is top of the speeddial. PdlR would look like Badoer did, especially with the new way that these cars have to be driven.

And that would allow Marciello into Marussia...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Could this actually be the end of Kimi? In the interview he did with Brundel in the British build up he said that he would walk away mid season if his desire left him. He has looked pretty dejected and this big accident might just be the catalyst.

When was the last time that a direct F1 technology made it into mass produced road cars (not exotic)? I can only think of the turbos, the radial tyre and the flappy paddle gearbox (but that is kind of exotic), maybe carbon fibre. F1 has never been about getting the technology into road cars (that's what touring cars are for) rather it has always been about the prestige. Win on Sunday and sell on Monday.

I was thinking the same thing about Kimi, tbh. If he does make it to the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him off to rallycross.

I think the last tech transfer from F1 was active suspension - I distinctly remember Citroen bragging about the Xantia having it, despite them not having F1 involvement! Traction control? Four-wheel steering? I expect to be proven wrong, but you never know :p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

indirectly, KERS?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Kimi still got his motivation to complete this and the next season. He's been all out of luck this year, there's been bad strategy calls and the car is not working for him as it does for Alonso. Yesterday he had a great start, was already 11th when being overly aggressive caught him. What does that have to do with his motivation? Kimi will bounce back to his level when everything clicks for him. Monaco was a good example until Chilton crashed him. People seem to forget the good things. Kimi is not there for the money or to just cruising around. He still wants to be on top and he's working to get back there.

His motivation, or lack thereof, was revealed when he went back to Ferrari after all the shit they gave him the last time he was there. And they're much worse off than when he left.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bianchi standing in for Kimi at the test.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114869

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I can recall some techonologies developed in F1 for road cars, but they were from the pre 1994 era. Like CVT transmission, ESP and ABS brakes. Maybe mass dampers and independent brakes like the ones McLaren used in early 1998

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My car has all of those, I don't ever remember Nissan having a F1 team though.

Last edited by Ian-S on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
I can recall some techonologies developed in F1 for road cars, but they were from the pre 1994 era. Like CVT transmission, ESP and ABS brakes. Maybe mass dampers and independent brakes like the ones McLaren used in early 1998

The CVT transmission was a Dutch invention used on the DAF cars and at one point tested by Williams and banned right away by the FIA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

didn't knew that, thought that was developed by Williams :p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Don't some supercars now have double diffusers?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, this is why I wasn't too sure about my post - a lot of the gizmos used in F1 were invented elsewhere, then picked up and improved by F1 teams, who then effectively took the credit. Slick tyres, ground effect, turbos, most of the early 90s gubbins...

You could say that F1 is the Steve Jobs of the motorsport world. *ducks*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

more like Patrick Head to be the Steve Jobs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
My car has all of those, I don't ever remember Nissan having a F1 team though.

Who has a strategic alliance with Nissan?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Probably explains why Renault cars are shit and Nissans bulletproof then :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:44 pm 

webbsy wrote:

Well, I rarely read or post on the F1 section these days, but there is something very wrong there.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/lessons-learned

Michelin had pioneered radial tires far before(almost 3 decades) they introduced it to F1 in late 70's
LucasWheldon wrote:

no and no
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous ... on#History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_ ... em#History
amq55 wrote:
Don't some supercars now have double diffusers?

double diffuser is not even a technology. It was just an extension to the diffuser by ridiculously ignoring the rules and making a hole on the floor and linking it, through a channel, to an upper part on the top of the diffuser. Effectively, you are just making your diffuser bigger with it. It's not a revolution, breakthrough....

In general, F1 have very rarely invented or pioneered anything at all. Had F1 never existed, the world would be exactly the same today, technology-wise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

what hypercars might be using in future is the blowed diffuser, with the exhaust systems into the lower parts of the car to favour aerodynamics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
what hypercars might be using in future is the blowed diffuser, with the exhaust systems into the lower parts of the car to favour aerodynamics

F1 used this from the 80s through to Ferrari's periscope exhaust - someone (probably Head) introduced it not long after flat bottoms were mandated. I have no idea why it suddenly became a 'new' thing when Red Bull reintroduced it!

There's a video knocking around somewhere on YouTube of mid-80s car sitting in the garage and squatting down when the throttle is blipped :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:40 pm 

Yep, it was used already in early 80's.

I think what was new about it was the electronic control of (or whatever it was that Red Bull introduced to keep sending the gases even without throttle input), meaning you could create constant downforce. Without the off trottle blowing, the car lost quite a good amount of it's downforce once the driver was not flooring the pedal. IIRC, that was the reason why it was ditched by the F1 and Group C(sportscars in general) teams in early 90's.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1182 183 184 185 186302 Next