TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 21 Next

Will the Russian Grand Prix be a hit with the drivers/fans?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:05 pm
да (Yes) 34%  34%  [ 15 ]
Нет (No) 66%  66%  [ 29 ]
Total votes: 44
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:03 am 

The Azerbaijan Grand Prix... sorry, "European Grand Prix" next year is going to be fun, isn't it?

I don't see much shit being thrown towards Russia in this forum. I do see a lot of shit being thrown against Putin; there's a difference, no? :p

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
I hate Russia :thumbsup:

Me too, almost as much as I hate USA. But I fear Russia more

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
Justin Time wrote:
Xen wrote:
I find it really appalling all this hate towards a country and I'm glad this GP is finished for this reason.

I couldn't have expressed it any better. This kind of behaviour only reveals stupidity and narrow mindedness, but then again, that doesn't surprise me around here anymore.

When everyone shits on Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Korea, China, Tilke, Maldonado's on track antics, Lewis Hamilton's off track behaviour and Bernie Ecclestone nobody bats an eye.

Corrected. And I'm sure there's lots missing from the list. Seems like some have double standards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:22 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

at least America is up next. Everyone loves America.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:
at least America is up next. Everyone loves America.

I really (and I'm being serious) like your new avatar. I feel dirty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:23 pm 

It was not Pirelli's fault that the race was appalling. And you can't blame the track either.

The Sunday races of GP2 and GP3 were great(yeah the last 2 laps being after a SC always help to have a mental moment in the end) and you can't say it was because their tyres were degrading fastly. On the contrary, as GP2's race was less than half the distance of Rosberg stint, for instace.

Massa on Perez and Ricciardo on Alonso gave me the impression that F1 drivers are totally used to F1's gimmicks and are, therefore, no longer familiar with proper racing. They usually just wait for when the car ahead has tyres seconds off the pace and/or the DRS zones gives them the easy pass by.

In an analogy, the same way they are unfamiliar with daunting tracks, so when they arrive at Suzuka, the Friday(and even Saturday) is full of ridiculous driving and yellow/red flag fest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Except before Pirelli when the tires didn't go off, drivers did the same thing - they would wait for a pitstop to attempt a pass. The dull racing wasn't any single party's "fault", but any one of a number of things would have improved the racing, including more tire degradation. Maybe they thought the new surface would wear the tires more?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 am 

Well, drivers know before hand that they will be able to push hard pretty much all race in Brazil:
http://www.f1zone.net/news/massa-slams- ... zil/44095/
http://www.f1zone.net/news/bottas-surpr ... ove/44080/

The only thing I don't like about this(which already happened in Sochi) is the difficulty to take tyres to it's optimal tyre temperatures. But that's the typical Pirelli lower engineering/scientific capability. For instance, Michelin and even Dunlop provide tyres that last far more than what Rosberg's tyres did(over 750km in Michelin's case) but you don't see drivers struggling to put their tyres into operational temperature.

I don't mind at all harder tyres, but Pirelli must work to try stretching the tire's temperature working window

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:13 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

After some of the passing Ricciardo has done this year I can hardly say that he doesn't know what proper racing is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:43 am 

Антон wrote:
Quote:
Kamui Kobayashi, car #10, chassis CT05-#02: “A disappointing Sunday. When I heard over the radio that I needed to pit I thought it was just a normal pit-stop, but then I was told that I needed to retire. It was all a bit of a surprise to me and at first I didn’t really know what the reason for having to stop was. The team has now analysed the telemetry and it was clear that my brakes were overheating too much. It’s a shame to end the weekend like this, but there’s not much more I could do today.”

I believe they speculated on the telecast they retired the car to save the engine for financial reasons? So they didn't have to buy another replacement engine before the end of the year.... That makes more sense when you look at their financial position...

Even Minardi was this bad under Paul stoddardt....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:13 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't know if this has been discussed already but can anyone tell why Button was so down after the race?

He put in a great performance but during the BBC interview he looked far from happy. Anything to do with his position at McLaren perhaps..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
But that's the typical Pirelli lower engineering/scientific capability. For instance, Michelin and even Dunlop provide tyres that last far more than what Rosberg's tyres did(over 750km in Michelin's case) but you don't see drivers struggling to put their tyres into operational temperature.

You are aware that Pirelli have to design their tyres to very strict requirements handed to them by the FIA, which cement their performance into a certain window, and that the teams all know this?

You are aware that, when Michelin and Bridgestone produced tyres for F1, that they simply had to perform better than each other? And that virtually all Bridgestone teams that weren't Ferrari complained all the time about the tyres not suiting their cars?

If you look carefully, there does tend to be a link between cars that can heat the tyres properly, and those that win...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:46 am 

would be fun if they opted for hard and super soft in Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:
would be fun if they opted for hard and super soft in Abu Dhabi.

Wasn't it suggested a year or so ago that they move the available compounds one 'notch' away from the current ones? This could work pretty well, but then I guess it could also result in 5-lap sprints followed by Sochi runs 8O

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:58 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

They won't do that, however I heard on the BBC that Pirelli wants to increase the tyre degredation on next year's tyres.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:50 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Lets hope it rains in brazil!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:00 pm 

I feel sorry for Pirelli that the regulations are turning their brand into crap. I've been through 2 sets of P-Zero Nero's in 5 years and 150.000k and never had any complaint. There said, i think that our road tyres have a different compound haha ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Ellu wrote:
I feel sorry for Pirelli that the regulations are turning their brand into crap. I've been through 2 sets of P-Zero Nero's in 5 years and 150.000k and never had any complaint. There said, i think that our road tyres have a different compound haha ;-)

There are still so many people thinking Pirelli honestly can't do better than what they are obliged to do in F1. Yet I don't see anyone doubting Renault engines in street cars either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fabs wrote:
They won't do that, however I heard on the BBC that Pirelli wants to increase the tyre degredation on next year's tyres.

I doubt, after Silverstone 2013 im sure they dont wanna see another puncture fest...
Get back the tyres from 2012, we had exciting races with those

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:27 pm 

StanV wrote:
Ellu wrote:

There are still so many people thinking Pirelli honestly can't do better than what they are obliged to do in F1. Yet I don't see anyone doubting Renault engines in street cars either.

I would never drive a Renault, actually I avoid all french brands.

German engineering :thumbsup:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 21 Next