TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1178 179 180 181 182302 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:28 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

ellis wrote:
Gaara wrote:
He did it with Silverstone and actually did award the GP elsewhere. Only reason they kept the GP was Donington falling through.

Well, to be fair. Silverstone was a complete shithole. Teams were operating in garages where the roofs leaked, and McLaren actually brought in joiners to fix the garages for several years (when they got allocated different ones) because they refused to operate various pieces of equipment like that. Those garages still haven't been fixed, even after the rebuild, and the old garages (which are still used by LMS and various other series) are just rotting away, whilst still in use. Silverstone also had the worst traffic of any race by a significant margin, and made excuses such as weather (ignoring Spas weather), and even after the new roads were built, 3 hour jams for low attendance races such as ILMC were still common.

I know it's cool to hate Bernie and there are some valid points here, but Silverstone was a rotting circuit being run by idiots who needed a boot up the arse. With the UKs motorsport history, to stick teams in garages and paddock areas that were less secure than my garden shed was an embarrassment to our history.

People seem very quick to blame everybody but the track, ignoring what the teams go through on a weekend. Mangy Cours is another example of that.

That and, and I have this on good authority because my dad lives right next to Donington and knows someone who worked for the construction company who were employed to work there (great sources), nothing that was done at Donington was constructive towards actually changing the track, they were basically just moving land round for the hell of it.
So it was a giant false gambit designed to spook the BRDC, and it worked.
All it meant was the destruction and near bankruptcy of a national racetrack than never had a hope in hell of staging a GP anyway, but that's mere child's play to Bernie.

Still, once again this statement is something along the lines of "prices are going up, get your shit together and raise more capital or the race is going"

Mugello? hahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
codename_47 wrote:
Mugello? hahahaha

and then we'll see one of those holographs on the track saying

"CONGRATULATIONS MR MONTEZEMOLO, THANK YOU, BERNIE"

P.S.: Ferrari's not going to win the championship for hosting a GP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:46 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

micha wrote:
crazy idea here but what if Bernie stopped asking so goddamn much money from the tracks and let them keep the trackside sponsor income for themselves?
I know it's really utterly insane but maybe if they made a profit they could maintain the track and it's buildings.

So did they magically find the money to build new extensions out of no where? Because they're on the same contracts, but seemed to get their arses in gear once the race was about to go didn't they? Maybe it's more the fact that drivers clubs (which is all the BRDC is), aren't really great businesses? Imagine that - a group of random guys who can drive cars really fast aren't that great at managing multi-million dollar businesses.

Quote:
That and, and I have this on good authority because my dad lives right next to Donington and knows someone who worked for the construction company who were employed to work there (great sources), nothing that was done at Donington was constructive towards actually changing the track, they were basically just moving land round for the hell of it.

They also dug a massive tunnel and dug up the track, removed buildings, bridges etc etc. So whilst it was obviously a ploy to get Silverstone moving (which everybody knew anyway, right from day 1), they did more than move some land about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:14 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

ellis wrote:
micha wrote:
crazy idea here but what if Bernie stopped asking so goddamn much money from the tracks and let them keep the trackside sponsor income for themselves?
I know it's really utterly insane but maybe if they made a profit they could maintain the track and it's buildings.

So did they magically find the money to build new extensions out of no where? Because they're on the same contracts, but seemed to get their arses in gear once the race was about to go didn't they? Maybe it's more the fact that drivers clubs (which is all the BRDC is), aren't really great businesses? Imagine that - a group of random guys who can drive cars really fast aren't that great at managing multi-million dollar businesses.

Quote:

They also dug a massive tunnel and dug up the track, removed buildings, bridges etc etc. So whilst it was obviously a ploy to get Silverstone moving (which everybody knew anyway, right from day 1), they did more than move some land about.

Well ok, yeah, but basically what was planned for the track was not actually what was done at all, it was just a big show.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What utter rubbish. It wasn't just a show or an attempt to play chicken with the BRDC.

The reason Donington's GP plan failed was purely down to finances. The only gamble that was made, was on how the renovations and GP would be funded. The person (can't remember his name) was trying to borrow all the money, relied on lending. That fell through and the BRDC then jumped back to rescue the British GP, promising renovations of their own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:31 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

THat person who spent all his time in the Donington Grand Prix simulator of the proposed layout instead of getting any work done?

Seriously, he had the top 20 laptimes on it or something haha :lol:

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wasn't Silverstone's renovations levied against some sale and leaseback deal over the land?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can't remember the last time I read some F1 news and thought, 'that sounds really good.'

Maybe I'm getting older and grumpier, but I like to think it's more a case of F1 making stupid decisions and slowly killing itself. I guess the classic tracks just don't have the facilities to accomodate all the luxury motorhomes. Oh well, screw what the fans think. They only pay a ludicrous amount to turn up each weekend and get sod all value for money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
THat person who spent all his time in the Donington Grand Prix simulator of the proposed layout instead of getting any work done?

Seriously, he had the top 20 laptimes on it or something haha :lol:

Yes and?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
De Cesaris fan wrote:
Maybe I'm getting older and grumpier, but I like to think it's more a case of F1 making stupid decisions and slowly killing itself. I guess the classic tracks just don't have the facilities to accomodate all the luxury motorhomes. Oh well, screw what the fans think. They only pay a ludicrous amount to turn up each weekend and get sod all value for money.

let FIA and Bernie run this F1 on tilkedromes with borefest and artificial racing and start a new championship on classic tracks, with outdated cars, but with development freedom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ricciardo says nearly all the F1 drivers were against standing restarts
http://www.f1zone.net/news/ricciardo-dr ... rts/41803/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:39 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gaara wrote:

that would be a fucking disaster, but i can't say it was not in the air

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:46 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Bernie is being Bernie again I see

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:

I imagine just about anyone in the sport with any common sense was against it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:24 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

De Cesaris fan wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

I imagine just about anyone in the sport with any common sense was against it.

90% of the teams (at least publicly) were against double points too but look where that got them

Maybe.....maybe the teams and drivers should form their own grouping to stand up to FOM when they go down blatantly shitty roads?

Oh wait, that never ends up well does it.

Bernie divided and conquered them years ago, now we're all having to put up with the consequences.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you want some answers to why these decisions are being made, then check out the latest Dieter Rencken article on Autosport.com.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

Bernie divided and conquered them years ago, now we're all having to put up with the consequences.

That only works so many times. There will be a point where they all agree and don't let Bernie bribe them anymore.

Lets just hope that day comes very soon,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:56 am 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

Teams only care about themselves. Sure most interviews had them saying they didn't like double points, but when the chance came to say so they didn't. They just got on with trying to ensure the rules helped them.
No monza is balls and I wonder if teams like FI or Williams can afford 3 cars? We know they run a tight budget in the midfield.
I hope this is just Bernie mixing it up, cause this morning I just feel pissed off with the sport.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

glorfindel wrote:
Teams only care about themselves. Sure most interviews had them saying they didn't like double points, but when the chance came to say so they didn't. They just got on with trying to ensure the rules helped them.
No monza is balls and I wonder if teams like FI or Williams can afford 3 cars? We know they run a tight budget in the midfield.
I hope this is just Bernie mixing it up, cause this morning I just feel pissed off with the sport.

Of course they only care about themselves but they do share a common goal. In the past they united when F1 followed the wrong path too long. Only then Bernie could shove some big bags of money around and disrupt the unity. But if they (Bernie and FIA) keep this up the teams eventually will tell Bernie he can keep his money this time around.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:28 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL. Christian Albers will be the new team principle at Caterham with Kolles according to several media :roll:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1178 179 180 181 182302 Next