TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1133 134 135 136 137141 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

How much is a subscription for Sky or NBC that covers F1? Over here SportTV charges 25 euros (29 if you want HD) plus your regular TV plan for 2 blokes doing 30 minutes of pre-race and commentary in studio.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sauber saved got rid of Ericsson, and now is a Ferrari B team.
Hope Leclerc and Giovinazzi get the seats.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[BLATANT MISQUOTING]

kals didn't wrote:
this new logo is amazing

Sorry to come back to this but it was too tempting :p

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

DinoMarko93 wrote:
Sauber saved got rid of Ericsson, and now is a Ferrari B team.
Hope Leclerc and Giovinazzi get the seats.

Is Ericsson toast?

Maybe it is the logical conclusion of this deal, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

EDIT: Blick is apparently reporting Ericsson\Leclerc as the lineup.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We can't have another year with Ericsson wasting a seat!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
[BLATANT MISQUOTING]

kals didn't wrote:
this new logo is amazing

Sorry to come back to this but it was too tempting :p

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Back to the USA TV coverage briefly;

Robin Miller wrote:
But I can promise you that you'll be wishing for NBCSN by the third race of 2018.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/it ... mitstart=1

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the cuore alfista returns, what great news. thankfully there'll be Ferrari engines, not that heavy consumption V8 Turbo (approved by Andrea de Cesaris)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:

Robin Miller wrote:
But I can promise you that you'll be wishing for NBCSN by the third race of 2018.

For someone who doesn't and won't watch the US TV coverage, you seem very invested in what happens with F1 on ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
the cuore alfista returns, what great news. thankfully there'll be Ferrari engines, not that heavy consumption V8 Turbo (approved by Andrea de Cesaris)

Just to clarify that when you say approved by de Cesaris, you mean that he rarely needed the fuel tank to last the whole race.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
RtN wrote:

Robin Miller wrote:

For someone who doesn't and won't watch the US TV coverage, you seem very invested in what happens with F1 on ESPN.

I always read the Mailbag, and this was a relevant snippet.

On a more general level, the US TV deal is a good canary in showing what could happen over the next few years as TV contracts come up for renewal. If Liberty insist on their streaming service being allowed into the market, then they might find themselves without any customers for the TV rights. With ESPN there seems to be some sort of element to the deal that will also allow them to host the F1 streaming service when it launches, so maybe that will become the standard model. Or maybe they will relent completely in some cases.

It is also a indicator of how Liberty will conduct proper business as the owners of F1 - a new logo is a frivolous thing with no third-party interaction. A TV contract is rather more weighty as it is currently F1's biggest source of income. So that is why I find it interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:56 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

mclaren2008 wrote:
Sauber has signed a deal with Alfa Romeo

https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/the-s ... alfa-romeo

Goodbye Ericsson :wave: :wave:

Yet another red-white-grey team coming up...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
I always read the Mailbag, and this was a relevant snippet.

On a more general level, the US TV deal is a good canary in showing what could happen over the next few years as TV contracts come up for renewal. If Liberty insist on their streaming service being allowed into the market, then they might find themselves without any customers for the TV rights. With ESPN there seems to be some sort of element to the deal that will also allow them to host the F1 streaming service when it launches, so maybe that will become the standard model. Or maybe they will relent completely in some cases.

It is also a indicator of how Liberty will conduct proper business as the owners of F1 - a new logo is a frivolous thing with no third-party interaction. A TV contract is rather more weighty as it is currently F1's biggest source of income. So that is why I find it interesting.

That's a point I considered as I wrote my comment. From a traditional broadcasting / media consumption perspective I can see why people are questioning or even nervous about what Liberty are using ABC/ESPN for. TV isn't the only media option for sports these days, so TV companies are either adapting to different consumer trends or losing viewers.

Expectations need to be in check. If people want and / or expect the same of ESPN that they've seen with Speed and NBC then they may be understandably disappointed. I won't be, but that's only me. However should ESPN do the same or similar to what BEINSports does with MotoGP then that could be received well. Additionally, MotoGP has their own streaming service which does literally compete with TV viewership however the way to look at it is offering the consumer an alternative way to watch all MotoGP sessions plus historic content. Same goes for NHL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Sauber has signed a deal with Alfa Romeo

https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/the-s ... alfa-romeo

Goodbye Ericsson :wave: :wave:

Yet another red-white-grey team coming up...

2017 was a good year, colorwise. Only HAAS - noboringcolorswewillstandout - Ferrari had a boring theme.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Coldtyre wrote:
Just to clarify that when you say approved by de Cesaris, you mean that he rarely needed the fuel tank to last the whole race.

pretty much that, I just hope that we could have a new De Cesaris on the grid to spice things up, cars with halo will be better looking crashed and causing SC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:08 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Ericsson needs to go. Giovanazzi is far better

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

*Sigh*.....gone are the days when a backmarker would throw the car off the road in a pissy little spin. That's another thing to moan about with current F1...they don't even spin anymore.....though what is much better is that usually there are about 2-3 different camera angles of the rare half spin where as before we used to just get a shot of the car beached in the gravel and maybe if lucky a glimpse of the car coming to a stop.

So there is always that I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Banning the shark fin might change that, it's the same conundrum NASCAR has with their plexiglass shark fins, they stop the cars taking off but they also produce so much side force that the moment the car snaps out, 90% of the time it saves itself due to the side force, and in the event it doesn't, the driver can usually save it by planting the throttle once the car is sideways.

Remove the shark fin and we might get a few more spins, hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that RTL may well be about to lose there F1 coverage as there's currently no deal in place for 2018 & it seems as if Liberty may have told them they won't be renewing it which may be why Niki Lauda apparently quit his RTL role live in there Abu Dhabi post race show.

amq55 wrote:
How much is a subscription for Sky or NBC that covers F1?
The Sky Sports F1 channel is £18 a month, However you need to have one of there other channel bundles, The lowest cost's £22 a month & you also need to play £12 extra to get HD. So the lowest price is £40 a month for SD, £55 for HD.

I get SSF1 as part of an older bundle that is no longer available (The Legacy variety HD pack) which works out at £44 a month, Not including the extra £12 charge just because we happen to have a 2nd satellite receiver in the bedroom or what we pay for phone line/broadband that takes out bill upto £85 or so a month depending on call charges:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4086/3555 ... 62ac_o.jpg

You can also get it via there NowTV streaming service, You can't get the F1 channel on its own & the sports pack prices are £6.99 a day, £19.99 a week or £33.99 a month.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There might also be a lot more to the lack of spins than purely technical reasons and car reliability. Drivers themselves are now machines built up for racing since their most tender age. They have racing pumped into their blood and brains, they spend their off-time on life-like simulators, they train physically all the time for racing purpose. Not so long ago, only monomaniac lunatics like Senna, or Schumacher would do it seriously, now it's almost the whole field.
Heck, I was reading an article about Pierre Gasly, and they have psychologists following them regularly since they joined the LeMans academy (so, at about 13yo).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1133 134 135 136 137141 Next