TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1125 126 127 128 129141 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Really? Then I understand why they wanted to keep Sainz.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
had the license rules not being place Toro Rosso would be fielding 4 youngsters per season, being 2 of them dropped out for lack of performance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

RtN wrote:
Fabs wrote:
Aren't there any better talents in the Red Bull academy?

I don't understand how a 28 year old fits their philosophy.

No-one else in the academy would even qualify for a Superlicense. Niko Kari is the closest and he is 10th in GP3.

Actually they terminated Niko Kari's contract during Belgian GP weekend. The reason was that he was not performing as expected. I don't know what the hell Helmut Marko was expecting, ART has top4 positions in every session, Arden has been shit and Niko was the best driver by a clear margin in that team. Not that it matters for STR seats, but Marko's policy left them with Hartley only.

I think Hartley is a good pick, but comparing him to anyone at this point of the season is not giving a realistic picture. Every other driver in the grid knows their cars from nose to tail, Hartley is racing in WEC in every other weekend, 2017 spec cars and tires can not be compared to previous what has been stated by seasoned drivers as well. Year ago people were shocked when Force India picked Ocon from Manor over Wehrlein. Let's just wait and see what Hartley can do next year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And that is exactly their problem, they keep dropping good drivers from their academy because their expectations are way too high.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:25 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gaara wrote:
And that is exactly their problem, they keep dropping good drivers from their academy because their expectations are way too high.

I think with Niko Kari it was literally the moment when he was mathematically out of the GP3 title content when Red Bull announced the termination.

Oh, and almost forgot, Niko Kari is not only doing his 1st season in GP3, but is also the youngest driver of the whole grid at the age of 17. And most of the tracks were completely new to him.

Max Verstappen is the exception, not the rule. Had Max been picked up by Ferrari or Mercedes, he'd be still doing GP2 at best. And where exactly does Red Bull need twenty teenagers? There's only four seats in F1. I get that they want to attract young consumers to their brand, but doesn't the hire&fire routine start to work against itself? So far Red Bull has found talents like Vettel and Verstappen (next talent must have surname starting with V might be one of the qualifications) but in the process they've peed a little on their own cereals in Portugal, Switzerland, Russia, Finland, France, Spain and what not. There's athletes in other sports that have refused to work with them. And now there's engine manufacturer that doesn't want to be linked to them. Talk about burning bridges.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The thing about Hartley though, is that while he was dropped by the Red Bull Junior program he was still part of the Red Bull family. Receiving sponsorship from them. Same goes for many drivers. Hartley used his connections in Red Bull when he knew he was out of a job at Porsche. Well done to him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NVirkkula wrote:
Gaara wrote:

I think with Niko Kari it was literally the moment when he was mathematically out of the GP3 title content when Red Bull announced the termination.

Oh, and almost forgot, Niko Kari is not only doing his 1st season in GP3, but is also the youngest driver of the whole grid at the age of 17. And most of the tracks were completely new to him.

Max Verstappen is the exception, not the rule. Had Max been picked up by Ferrari or Mercedes, he'd be still doing GP2 at best. And where exactly does Red Bull need twenty teenagers? There's only four seats in F1. I get that they want to attract young consumers to their brand, but doesn't the hire&fire routine start to work against itself? So far Red Bull has found talents like Vettel and Verstappen (next talent must have surname starting with V might be one of the qualifications) but in the process they've peed a little on their own cereals in Portugal, Switzerland, Russia, Finland, France, Spain and what not. There's athletes in other sports that have refused to work with them. And now there's engine manufacturer that doesn't want to be linked to them. Talk about burning bridges.

Didn't Max only become part of the Red Bull stable because they offered him the STR seat?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Gaara wrote:

Didn't Max only become part of the Red Bull stable because they offered him the STR seat?

Pretty much

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hartley is also technically very good at developing cars, Red Bull and Mercedes used him for simulator work long after his F1 chances had dried up so from that point of view I think Toro Rosso will benefit having a driver who knows how to develop a car especially with Honda coming in

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Seems Liberty may be looking at changing the F1 logo:
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/11/17/ ... nt-3628419

I think the current one is fine & can't say i'm a fan of any of those 3, But guess you gotta come up with something hip & cool for the kids.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

lol at the third one, a mix of old F1 videogame with the name in helvetia

StockCar also had a logo change from one more motorsports alike to a childish one that is used until today
Spoiler:
the former
the actual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hartley actually deserves to be on the grid unlike a certain Swede who doesn't even provide the lulz moments. One of the guys who was taking up space is gone, hope the second goes too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:30 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

StefMeister wrote:
Seems Liberty may be looking at changing the F1 logo:
https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/11/17/ ... nt-3628419

I think the current one is fine & can't say i'm a fan of any of those 3, But guess you gotta come up with something hip & cool for the kids.

Current one is awesome, those 3 suggestions look like shit

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:08 pm 

Yep agree. Liberty, stop fixing a problem that dosent exist.

Last edited by Jan Larsen on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jan Larsen wrote:
Yep agree. Liberty, stop fixing problems that dosent exist.

Apart from the logo, what other issues that don’t exist has Liberty tried to fix?

From memory the only poor thing they’ve tried was the Austin grid intros.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

they're trying to erase the memory that once there was a Bernie there

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F1 as a brand identity is underexposed and almost non-existent thanks to Bernie’s beliefs around social platforms versus traditional media. Liberty isn’t fixing problems that don’t exist. These problems have existed for a long time and we’ve allowed them to normalize. The logo should identify positive change. I’m all for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 pm 

kals wrote:
Apart from the logo, what other issues that don’t exist has Liberty tried to fix?

There, corrected it ;). We all know what I meant. Plenty of issues to be solved before something trivial as a logo. Which isnt broken in the first place.
And the Austin grid intro was awesome. 'murica!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

According to Joe Saward a new logo will be used from Abu Dhabi next weekend.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/11 ... ing-of-f1/

Quote:
The new logos proposed don’t seem awfully dynamic, one might even call them dull, but they do the job. Will they sell more merchandise than the flying F? That’s doubtful. Anyway, it’s done and I hear the new logo will be used from Abu Dhabi onwards, I actually forgot to mention it in the green notebook this week!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jan Larsen wrote:
kals wrote:

There, corrected it ;). We all know what I meant. Plenty of issues to be solved before something trivial as a logo. Which isnt broken in the first place.
And the Austin grid intro was awesome. 'murica!

If "we all" knew what you meant then I wouldn't have asked for clarification. I wasn't trying to be argumentative either...

As for not fixing what isn't broke, this is about more than just the logo which you're fixating on.

kals wrote:
F1 as a brand identity is underexposed and almost non-existent thanks to Bernie’s beliefs around social platforms versus traditional media. Liberty isn’t fixing problems that don’t exist. These problems have existed for a long time and we’ve allowed them to normalize. The logo should identify positive change. I’m all for it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1125 126 127 128 129141 Next