TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1121 122 123 124 125141 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:13 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Jan Larsen wrote:
Paul, there's noone here demanding the V10/V12's back, we all know thats unrealistic, but we dream for them. But you cant honestly say you prefer the current PU's over basically anything normally aspirated?

Dude I'm the unrealistic Champcar fanboy and if I had to pick my favourite Era of F1 it'd be the Turbo era in the 80s, normally aspirated aren't a big deal to me

You could argue the true F1 engine formula is Turbo and F1 made a mistake moving away from it in 89, but then crazy arguments based on personal preference to an era of F1 in the past is the main thrust of this thread :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:45 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Scotty wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

Here's an idea for real engine rules:

- 2,5 litre NA V10s or V12s.
- Max fuel per race 120 kg.
- No number of engine limits, Honda is already using over 10 units/car and one unit is estimated to cost even as much as 3.000.000$. There's no chance in hell any manufacturer could use more money with unlimited engines for 20-odd races per season.
- Limit the air flow in if the engines are pulling more than 1200hp.
- ERS systems still allowed, brake energy to electric boost.
- No Halo, it distrupts the air flow to the engine in high speeds, which could lead to engine explosion and potentially to a serious accident. So for the improved safety, Halo is not allowed to be used.

- 2,5 litre NA V10s or V12s.

Pipe dream. Manufacturers have been downsizing their engines for the last 10-15-20 years. Why have a V8 when a turbo 4 or turbo 6 produces the same power and has better emissions? NA vehicles will be gone in the next 20 years anyway, technology is all used up.

- Max fuel per race 120 kg.

No comment

- No number of engine limits, Honda is already using over 10 units/car and one unit is estimated to cost even as much as 3.000.000$. There's no chance in hell any manufacturer could use more money with unlimited engines for 20-odd races per season.

There is a chance in hell, but I agree limit should be raised from 4 to something in the realms of 10-15. Those penalties are just ridiculous and there currently is nothing stopping engine makers building 100 test mule engines a year and using only 4. Capping engines used in races doesn't save money.

- Limit the air flow in if the engines are pulling more than 1200hp.

Agree

- ERS systems still allowed, brake energy to electric boost.

Agree

- No Halo, it distrupts the air flow to the engine in high speeds, which could lead to engine explosion and potentially to a serious accident. So for the improved safety, Halo is not allowed to be used

If they designed around halo this wouldn't happen. I'm a proponent for safety but I've cooled on halo, so I agree, don't bother. Raise/extend the cockpit sides instead (should be right on the limits of effecting visibility, without doing so.

I know I'm just dreaming with NA engines, but I think there's still some unused potential that manufacturers might want to develope. Koenigsegg's Freevalve technology and Mazda's SkyActive comes to mind. Then of course there's some new materials and manufacturing methods that could make a big difference and could be usable for civil cars. Like you said, it's easier to just tap a turbo on the engine for better efficiency and power. Therefore rather than taking the short cut, F1 should focus on the main engine. For example, rules could dictate that engine needs to be 2,5 litre V10 or V12, but wether it's a traditional 4-stroke should be left open.

And as agreed, current engine rules are stupid. Those engine limitations does absolutely nothing to cut costs but actually might make things even worse with all the extra test mule engine building and testing.

The halo thing I threw in as a pun, making it an safety issue rather than a solution.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:55 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't like the proposal of tighter fuel restrictions, but other than that it's more or less what the realistic me was expecting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:26 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

micha wrote:
So, any thoughts on the new engine proposal for 2021?

I'm calling fail.

If they can get it to a state where no one engine is completely dominant then I think it'll be bareable

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
take the fuel flow regs and change with a balance of performance for both engine and aerodynamics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you want innovation then you have to allow the teams and manufacturers the latitude to do so. Painting them into a box saying you have to run this that or the other thing is not the way.

2.5L, NA, max number of cylinders is 12 (meaning you can run anything you want within that range)
1.8L, Forced Induction, max number of cylinders is 6

Set a total fuel limit, not a fuel flow limit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The FIA just called, they want their common sense back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
The FIA just called, they want their common sense back.

That can’t work. Because that would mean the FIA had common sense to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

westracing01 wrote:
If you want innovation then you have to allow the teams and manufacturers the latitude to do so. Painting them into a box saying you have to run this that or the other thing is not the way.

2.5L, NA, max number of cylinders is 12 (meaning you can run anything you want within that range)
1.8L, Forced Induction, max number of cylinders is 6

Set a total fuel limit, not a fuel flow limit.

But you only have to look to the 80s to see how this will turn out. Even with a bigger split like 1.6l for turbos and 3.5l for NA, we ended up with the rich teams using turbos and the poor teams using an off-the-peg NA. If you bring the capacities closer together, everyone will have the turbo engine because the NA loses any real plus point.

It'd be great to have the sort of variety we had in the early 90s, but everyone always regresses to the mean. Hell, even Ferrari had to dump their V12 to be competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't mind having just a few teams being able to get the most out of a formulae and succeed.

I want simple engine (and car) regulations, made to keep costs controlled, that can allow new chassis manufacturers and engine builders to try their hand with the best in the sport.

I want an open grid. I want customer cars. I want rules that makes cars simpler. And keep those rules constant, so that a previous year car remains legal. I want small teams modifying previous year's McLaren, Williams or whatever, to fit the engine they managed to get their hands on.

I want one-car teams. I want 35 entries fighting for 26 grid slots. I want every race weekend to feel like the best of Bump Days. I want this Ivy-league crap to end.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:50 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Well the basic rule is that the amount of air and the amount of fuel makes the difference. If you restrict air flow enough and only give limited amount of fuel, then that should balance out the difference between engine types.

I would like to see different engine configurations and designs.

Like for example a rotary turbo, opposite piston boxer, regular 4-stroke engine, duke engine, something more innovative, like it used to be. You give everyone the same fuel and restrict the air flow so that the designs are able to compete. Then adjust the engine type specific setting in half way of the season if further balancing is needed. This isn't that far of from what Formula E is doing.

The current engine rules makes no one happy. One shit box that you can not develop properly and what one manufacturer dominates. I say make the aerodynamics more standard and let the engines be developed more freely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

start using 2 stroke 1.5 engine formula and see that smoke cloud pluming the track, the essence of motorsports

now seriously, all the regulations they make for the engine they could do for the aerodynamics, set a base chassis and you are free to have 100 aero points to use in specific places, if you use to develop a state of art active suspension, you cannot develop the spoilers and will have plain wings or build a ground effect thing but you cannot develop more than that because you already set 100 aero points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:56 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

LucasWheldon wrote:
start using 2 stroke 1.5 engine formula and see that smoke cloud pluming the track, the essence of motorsports

Actually modern 2-stroke engines doesn't smoke much at all.

From 11 second mark you can see the exhaust pipe behind the right front ski when engine is stressed.

2-strokers wouldn't be such a crazy idea, those snowmobiles on the video generate about 170 hp from 850cc, that's 200 hp/litre without forced induction and tuning level to make them last years without much maintenance. Now imagine if F1 engine manufacturer would go all-out with 2-stroker that's something like supercharged 2,5 litres V8. That sound would be awesome at least! I think 800-900 hp should be reachable. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, its that time of the year again. Ferrari threatens to leave Formula 1 if they dont get their ways.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh just let them go away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Three of the four engine manufacturers don't like the proposed rules.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:34 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

RtN wrote:

And one has not commented? Brilliant work, FIA!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sounds almost like they're trying to force an agreement Bernie-style. The first manufacturer to suggest something more popular is basically going to have a step up on everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

if Ferrari leaves F1 they'll become a Lamborghini with tradition

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

NVirkkula wrote:
RtN wrote:

And one has not commented? Brilliant work, FIA!

I like blaming the FIA for lots of things, but this is entirely on Liberty. Their blue-sky thinking has gotten them exactly as far as I thought it would.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1121 122 123 124 125141 Next