TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2968 posts ]  Go to page Previous 199 100 101 102 103149 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Channel to be launched on Friday 9th March

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:34 pm 

Martin Brundle @MBrundleF1
Quote:
Watch out for two excellent pieces of news regarding Sky Sports F1 this week, with more to follow too.

GP2/ GP3???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

StefMeister wrote:
Sounds like Sky Sports F1 will be on Virgin Media:

https://twitter.com/#!/davidkeywood
@DavidKeywood Harrogate & Leeds
Work in marketing (SEO & Social Media) for Sky Sports.

Quote:
@SkySportsF1 Any update on @virginmedia skysports subscribers?

Quote:
@kennymhall Virgin will make an announcement shortly..

Quote:
@DavidKeywood ooh, today?

Quote:
@kennymhall It's up to virgin, it's their announcement!

That's very promising. Now I will need to convince the missus to pay £10 a month (if it is free then even better!) for the channel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:49 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Seems I´ll have to find a website with streams this year if Sky gets F1, GP2 and GP3 :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:32 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Great choice of music.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just read that BBC will record live commentary for the races they aren't showing live.

Also, brits, it's confirmed that Sky F1 will be available on Virgin for all Sky Sports suscribers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

That's a step forward to Virgin subscribers. Now I need to find out whether if it is the whole Sky Sports package or just the F1 channel. As I not sure if I can fork out on the package but I can afford I pay just for the channel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think you have to have the Sky Sports package, which means I'll be watching the highlights.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The channel won't be avaliable in HD on Virgin apparently.

Also listning to Steve Rider's interview at the Autosport show, He says he will be spending a day or 2 interviewing all living world champions for his legends programs.
http://youtu.be/cVxBlEh_sKI

Ben Edwards also saying that he was considered for F1 commentator 4 times. When it went to ITV in 1997, When Murray retired in 2001, When F1 went back to the BBC in 2009 & when the BBC replaced Johnathan Legard last year.
http://youtu.be/eqghznQpnV8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
I think you have to have the Sky Sports package, which means I'll be watching the highlights.

Righto, guess I will have to raid my bro's flat and watch it or perhaps save myself and watch the highlights.

Thank you for all of the info about the subtitles and the Virgin Media info guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

With the first few races being middle of the night affairs, I'm just going to stick with the BBC highlights, then if it's a really good race, acquire a copy of the Sky coverage and see how it stacks up in comparison, but it has to be really, really, really miles ahead in comparison to the BBC's stuff to get me to pay an extra £22.50 a month to watch it, in fact, I can pretty much say now, regardless of the coverage quality, we just can't afford it so we won't be subscribing anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:03 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

StefMeister wrote:

Also listning to Steve Rider's interview at the Autosport show, He says he will be spending a day or 2 interviewing all living world champions for his legends programs.

Ben Edwards also saying that he was considered for F1 commentator 4 times. When it went to ITV in 1997, When Murray retired in 2001, When F1 went back to the BBC in 2009 & when the BBC replaced Johnathan Legard last year.

Amazing that both ITV and the BBC had Ben on their shortlists yet somehow we ended up with Allen and Legard all these years...

Obviously last year was a cost cutting measure, they prob didn't want to bring in anyone new in the face of all the cuts the BBC was going through so just promoted MB and DC but the other times is pretty inexcusable.
This is what happens when you have people not passionate about the sport they are head of making the decisions, though I challenge anyone to synch-up Ben Edwards and James Allen's commentaries from their broadcasting in 2002 and say James did a better job in ANY moment....let alone the whole season!

Bigears, I have a question if I may.
Can you tell the difference in commentators, being deaf, or for you is it more to do with the speed of the subtitler and, to be frank, how much they understand the sport too.
I can't imagine they're too many subtitlers with extensive F1 knowledge so when the commentators start going on about KERS, DRS and other F1 specific stuff I suppose they go for a best guess about what their brain makes sense of what it thinks they're hearing, but doesn't that effect your enjoyment?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Damon has joined Sky Sports F1 as a pundit.

He will be present at 10 races: Australia, Bahrain, Monaco, Britain, Germany, Hungary, Belgium, India, USA and Brazil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

Amazing that both ITV and the BBC had Ben on their shortlists yet somehow we ended up with Allen and Legard all these years...

Obviously last year was a cost cutting measure, they prob didn't want to bring in anyone new in the face of all the cuts the BBC was going through so just promoted MB and DC but the other times is pretty inexcusable.
This is what happens when you have people not passionate about the sport they are head of making the decisions, though I challenge anyone to synch-up Ben Edwards and James Allen's commentaries from their broadcasting in 2002 and say James did a better job in ANY moment....let alone the whole season!

Bigears, I have a question if I may.
Can you tell the difference in commentators, being deaf, or for you is it more to do with the speed of the subtitler and, to be frank, how much they understand the sport too.
I can't imagine they're too many subtitlers with extensive F1 knowledge so when the commentators start going on about KERS, DRS and other F1 specific stuff I suppose they go for a best guess about what their brain makes sense of what it thinks they're hearing, but doesn't that effect your enjoyment?

Good question there. I think I got a recorded DVD of the Singapore GP somewhere so perhaps I could rip it and put it up so you can see what I am exactly watching.

I have been watching subtitled live sport since the 1994 World Cup. I feel I have developed a skill when subtitlers made a spelling mistake or something that doesn't make sense.

Normally the subtitlers type up like a script by typing this:

MARTIN: Vettel wins!
DAVID: Again...
MARTIN: He is bringing out the finger!

So basically I would know who is saying what. I believe that there is a slight delay of the broadcast so the subtitlers can listen what was said and then type it in 'live.'

Perhaps I will rip the video tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Well I'd imagine the logistics of subtitling what is said would mean there is a bit of a delay, yeah, didn't think of that either.

Must be frustrating if you could see Webber flying through the air in Valencia and the subtitles still talk about his alternate strategy for 20 seconds or so...etc.

I know its out of order to hardworking people but a new game between me and my friends when we're in the type of pubs that show news channels on silent with subtitles is to play spot the mistake.
Sometimes they can be pretty damn hilarious, though the amount of mistakes must mean your "mistake filter" has become pretty well attuned over the years! :p

Still, must be a hard job, I wouldn't want to have people see my type this post live without multiple uses of the delete key so I know I couldn't do it! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sky were testing some stuff for the F1 service earlier, Screens of the interactive options here:
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost ... tcount=374

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Spanish TV, La Sexta, is dropping F1.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Meaning who will broadcast the two Spanish races? Or will there beige cutbacks from Spain like the Valencia circuit?

Just a theory...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mediapro, who own La Sexta, terminated the rights for 2012 & 2013 because they can't afford it. They bid a ludicrous amount back in 2008 and they've realised they haven't the funding.

Main broadcaster TVE is unlikely to pick it up, but I've seen a source that says Antena 3 (another main channel) is likely to pick up the rights, using the same team of Antonio Lobarto & Nina Juanco. They've got until February 6th to sort it out.

http://www.f1zone.net/news/spanish-broa ... rid/11720/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:53 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

bigears wrote:
Good question there. I think I got a recorded DVD of the Singapore GP somewhere so perhaps I could rip it and put it up so you can see what I am exactly watching.

I have been watching subtitled live sport since the 1994 World Cup. I feel I have developed a skill when subtitlers made a spelling mistake or something that doesn't make sense.

Normally the subtitlers type up like a script by typing this:

MARTIN: Vettel wins!
DAVID: Again...
MARTIN: He is bringing out the finger!

So basically I would know who is saying what. I believe that there is a slight delay of the broadcast so the subtitlers can listen what was said and then type it in 'live.'

Perhaps I will rip the video tomorrow.

Sorry to continue a bit off topic here, but I was watching Sky Sports news on the TV in the gym last week, and they had the 'live' subtitles at the bottom of the screen. The story was about Fulham goalkeepr Mark Schwarzer. The subtitles appeared at the bottom:
"Football news now. Fulham goalkeeper.."
and then there was a lengthy pause
".. Arnold Schwarzenegger.."
I lol'd on the treadmill. :lol: I guess they must have preset famous names on their system, and they just selected the nearest one! Although I bet you see things like that all the time bigears.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2968 posts ]  Go to page Previous 199 100 101 102 103149 Next