1 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
0 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 36
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
Your daughter is messing up the numbers. :lol:

But seriously; sounds like a heart-warming experience.

At least I explain my reasoning for the high number. The persons giving it a 9 or 10 still owe us an explanation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
7. It automatically gets better when your 3 year old daughter cuddles up with you to watch it. Even though it's heartbreaking to explain Max is out of it yet again.

Yeah, no, it does not. Kids are cute, but this race is not a 7/10 by any means.

I slept comfortably with my gf in my lap during the middle stint of this race. It was cute, but it only reinforces my 3/10: we shouldn't be sleeping, we should've been jumping out of the couch, screaming profanities at each other and at the screen like during the Azerbaijan GP.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
micha wrote:
7. It automatically gets better when your 3 year old daughter cuddles up with you to watch it. Even though it's heartbreaking to explain Max is out of it yet again.

I slept comfortably with my gf in my lap during the middle stint of this race. It was cute, but it only reinforces my 3/10: we shouldn't be sleeping, we should've been jumping out of the couch, screaming profanities at each other and at the screen like during the Azerbaijan GP.

Gosh...and here I am thinking we could use our own opinion when rating races. How wrong I was. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:23 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, it's an interesting discussion whether personal circumstances, like yours, should be taken into account when a race is rated.

I'm not judging at all and was only kidding earlier, but I do wonder how you would rate the race if you would've watched it without your daughter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
Coldtyre wrote:
micha wrote:

Gosh...and here I am thinking we could use our own opinion when rating races. How wrong I was. :roll:

When exactly were you prevented from voting as you wish, or stating your own opinion freely? Your post is there, and your rating is up there too.
But to go completely against the stream (and dare I say, common sense) and not be challenged about it ever so slightly, is unrealistic.

Mika Kimi wrote:
Well, it's an interesting discussion whether personal circumstances, like yours, should be taken into account when a race is rated.

To quote a famous commentator and former F1 driver: "that's a fairly short debate, Murray". Were you entertained thanks to something that happened behind the TV screen? Take it into account. Something that happened in front of the screen? By all means share the happiness with us, but rate the race accordingly.

And yeah, those who voted 9 and 10 are free to do so, and I'm free to state that they are behaving like jackasses, or trolls, or both.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mika Kimi wrote:

I'm not judging at all and was only kidding earlier, but I do wonder how you would rate the race if you would've watched it without your daughter?

Haha indeed. I was watching a documentary on the holocaust with my gf, we cuddled so I give the holocaust a 7 out of 10 :thumbsup: But I really don't care what rating someone else gives a race, but interesting to know how some people think :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm fine with every rating as long as people explain their own reasoning behind it. You rate it on your experience. If the race was a huge borefest but you've gotten the best blowjob by your crush I can understand you feel its a 10/10 race.
Or if its a great race but you just heard your best friend died I can understand your race experience is a 1/10.

But explain why you feel that way. I only see my kids every other weekend so everything I can do with them have to be in that small time slot. And if my daughter suddenly wants to watch F1 with me it gives me great joy because it reminds me of me and my dad (my parents werent divorced however) and if it sticks it's something we'll always have. Maybe not watching all races together but maybe she'll text me (when old enough) about the results etc.

So yeah, watching with her is a 7 for me.

Watching it alone probably resulted in a "what race?" rating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As I've said before, tbk race polls = srs business. If you can't handle a bit of poll trolling you probably shouldn't be running polls on the internet. Not that Micha's post was trolling - I'll give the most boring GP an 8 if Ric wins, is this any worse?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:tumble:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Even Murray Walker says Schumacher was greater than Ayrton, BECAUSE ACCORDING TO HIM, numbers mean more..... That's a personal opinion right there, and a very bad one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
I'm fine with every rating as long as people explain their own reasoning behind it. You rate it on your experience. If the race was a huge borefest but you've gotten the best blowjob by your crush I can understand you feel its a 10/10 race.
Or if its a great race but you just heard your best friend died I can understand your race experience is a 1/10.

But explain why you feel that way. I only see my kids every other weekend so everything I can do with them have to be in that small time slot. And if my daughter suddenly wants to watch F1 with me it gives me great joy because it reminds me of me and my dad (my parents werent divorced however) and if it sticks it's something we'll always have. Maybe not watching all races together but maybe she'll text me (when old enough) about the results etc.

So yeah, watching with her is a 7 for me.

Watching it alone probably resulted in a "what race?" rating.

Disagree, if a friend died I would feel shit, but the race is the race and a great race doesn't become shit because I feel shit. It is unrelated.
We all know the situation you're in, but a bad race with great personal experiences doesn't make the race better, it makes you feel better. The race is still bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's agree to disagree. One feels the rating should be based solely on the race itself and the other feels it should be based on the overall experience.
IMHO neither is wrong but I feel that in my case you should at least come to the comments and explain why. No-one has to agree with their reasoning but at least it explains their choice.

I think we both agree that the people who rated this one with a 9 or a 10 without explaining it are just dicks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Or Bottas fans :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Having been watched hundreds of races, it's pretty easy to rate every GP. The aspects that affect my rating and examples of them:
-Amount of fighting (Bahrain 2014)
-Fight for the lead and podium (Austria 2016)
-Crashes and SCs (Hungary 2014, Canada 2007)
-Challenging or changing conditions (Brazil 2016, Europe 2007)
-New winner or surprising podium (Spain 2016, Baku 2017)
-Moments important for the WDC (Abu Dhabi 2016)
-General randomness, like technical problems or pit-stop blunders (Baku 2017, Monaco 2015)
-Track bonus (Monaco, Suzuka, Spa by default gets +1)
-Patriotic reasons (Brazil 2007)

I've noticed that I tend to enjoy races while having company more, but after considering the race objectively, I realize the enjoyment had nothing to do with the track events.
Also, sometimes after a very dramatic and exciting qualifying you hope we could rate the whole weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
Or Bottas fans :D

And I have no problem with that if they man up about it.
If Verstappen would have won it I might have given it a 10 as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The old "good result for someone I support" Vs "great race for action but the driver/team I support did badly" debate is as old as F1 itself

Personally, my preference on team/driver performance is a secondary consideration to quality of the racing.
Maybe it's because I went through the Schumacher years without anyone really to support but still managed to enjoy some good racing when it happened (rare, in those days, but it occasionally happened :p ) I take the view that the action comes first, fanboyism comes second, but there you go.

Just give me 20 decent overtakes a race and a few surprises and I'm happy :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley