TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 193 94 95 96 97113 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh my God kals, thankfully the drivers wear fire-retardant suits, because that burn was severe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Something I posted back in May in this thread, as part of a general dig against Liberty's hypocrisy.

Quote:
I am sure that there will also be at least one photo from Sochi of V.V. Putin posing with a Liberty honcho, like there was in Bernie's era.

And, lo and behold, it was Ross Brawn who drew the short straw and got to share the Presidential box. Hope the money is worth it.

It is also nice to have confirmation that, whilst the issue of grid girls is worthy of Liberty's condemnation, the autocracy in Russia and its behaviour causes them no misgivings. It makes it much easier to completely disregard whatever they say the next time they climb on their hill of moral superiority.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
regarding liveries and sponsors I'm amused that cryptocurrencies and multi level marketing haven't started laundering money sponsoring teams, specially those from the rear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:06 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
regarding liveries and sponsors I'm amused that cryptocurrencies and multi level marketing haven't started laundering money sponsoring teams, specially those from the rear
I still wear my DogeCoin shirt proudly from time to time. Sponsored a back marker Cup team a few years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
Ferrari to give their failure a fresh new look

So they’re making Seb have a shave and a buzz cut?
I almost choked on my dinner from laughing so hard! I think my beloved Ferrari and Notre Dame football are neck and neck for late season floundering.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Interesting, looks like there won't be any coverage of F1 in New Zealand

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12137140

Quote:
Sky Television have failed in their bid to renew their right to broadcast Formula 1 motorsport in New Zealand.

Sky will show the rest of the season, including this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, but a drop in viewership here due in part to later start times in Europe, plus the showing of official highlights on social media, has forced a change in approach from the broadcaster

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Juihi wrote:
Interesting, looks like there won't be any coverage of F1 in New Zealand

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12137140

Quote:
Sky Television have failed in their bid to renew their right to broadcast Formula 1 motorsport in New Zealand.

Sky will show the rest of the season, including this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, but a drop in viewership here due in part to later start times in Europe, plus the showing of official highlights on social media, has forced a change in approach from the broadcaster

Pretty much what I expect in the USA in a few years if ESPN can't keep them tied down as Liberty wants to go full-on F1 TV for various markets

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes, lets force F1 behind a paywall and then complain no-one is watching anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:14 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

micha wrote:
Yes, lets force F1 behind a paywall and then complain no-one is watching anymore.

Rencken wrote an article yesterday that may be to your liking.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/03/its ... v-paywall/

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

well, he is right.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wouldn't take what that FE boss has to say as gospel either, since he's about as unbiased as a turkey voting for Xmas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not saying that is gospel but you dont need to be a rocket scientist to understand that free to air reaches a much broader audience.

Just on this forum alone, with real racing fans, you will find people that cannot afford to pay for it or dont want to pay that much for so little entertainment. That means they quit viewing but that also means their kids wont watch (if they have any). So not only do you lose current fans but also potential new fans.

Same with kids in a non-racing household. Mom and/or dad dont watch but if its free to air they might actually come across and get hooked.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I never believed the hyperbole claims of how viewed F1 was back in the day, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that once you put it behind a pay wall you are not going to get the same number of people watching it.

I grew up watching it on shitty delayed free to air TV on Channel 9 Australia. There wouldn't be a hope in hell that if I was the same age as I was now that I would be watching it because it would not be readily available (to watch) unless my parents paid for a cable package that included it.

And in regards to FE, I couldn't give a toss if it was free to air, I find it to be the most boring and bland piece of shit racing going around. I would rather watch a regional Formula Vee race than that crap.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

well Formula E can still play the gimmicks cards that F1 can't to hook the non motorsport fan

but I don't know, drivers aren't popular as they were, to draw audiences like Senna or Mansell did

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh I wasn't disputing anything relating to TV being behind a paywall harming the sport, as you say you don't need a rocket scientist to see that, it's his claim that F1 must be electric within five year or it'll die claim, of course he's going to say that, he is head of the electric series and never wastes an opportunity to kick anything non-electric.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

did he ever wondered what's the source of the energy to fill the batteries of his beloved electric racing cars?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So I ran into Chase Carey once again at Heathrow Terminal 5's lounge yesterday, waiting to board my flight back home from vacation. I had met him last year too as he was sitting beside me on the flight back from Monza. Was very friendly once again and stuck his hand out right away. Said he was off to Hong Kong for meetings and off to Suzuka for race day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Going back to the paywall discussion, in Portugal, Eleven Sports has gotten the F1 rights starting next year and if they keep their prices, it's a drop from a minimum of €25 to €9,99 and they promise having staff on-track, which is something SportTV never did.

Still, I prefered when it was on FTA, starting with the world feed and ending as soon as the champagne was opened. That's what I grew up with, a phone line commentary for the flyaways and Sunday lunch with my parents watching the race.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:17 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Football (and most sports tbh) is different because if you don't want to pay the extortionate prices to watch it on Pay TV where you are, you can take the kids down to the local ground and see it live, therefore the grass roots of the sport aren't lost and the football/whatever bosses can get their cake and eat it of a huge payout from the Pay TV channels and not lose generations of fans in the future

F1 can't do that because you have the option of paying various iterations of Murdoch's empire for live coverage, or saving up about as much as it costs for an average holiday to see it one weekend a year in your country.
It's trying to ape the Pay TV model without having the grass roots venues in the country to ensure the future of the sport

The motorsport "purists" here might be falling over themselves to compete about who hates Formula E more, but from December it'll be the most easily accessible motorsport on UK TV so, whatever you think about its engines, a lot more people will be able to see it than F1 in 2019
And some small child will stay watching after their children's programmes (time zones lol) and have their attention captured by the slightly batmobile-ish looking chasis and get hooked.
They won't know the difference between F1 and FE, they won't have subscriptions to autosport or any other bank of knowledge apart from what's in front of them on the TV.
The series on their TV will become "Their" series and they'll only hear quiet rumour of some other series called Formula 1 the commentators keep referencing.
(Hell, with the amount of Ex-F1 drivers in FE next year, they'll probably think F1 is a Formula E feeder series :mrgreen: )

Motorsport as a whole is circling the drain, probably due more to a cultural shift away from fast cars and into more responsible ones, but it really saddens and baffles me F1 wants to hasten the process in favour of short term gain
Maybe that's the plan. The powers that be in the FIA know F1 is doomed in the long term, so it's a cash grab to get as much value out of it now while it's still relevant which has the side effect of killing it more rapidly, instead of letting it wither and die on FTA TV over a longer period.

But then you look at most of the people at the FIA and you realise that, though Motorsport doesn't have long really, it has a lot longer than most of the lifespan of the powers that be in Motorsport.
Hell, Bernie probably didn't expect to out-live the Sky 2019 UK contract for exclusivity, he couldn't give a toss about planning for 2030 and Beyond. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm seriously considering pulling the plug on my TV package. $150+ a year for something I barely use. I already subscribe to F1TV, MotoGP, NHL and a few other things so I can get my content that way.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 193 94 95 96 97113 Next