TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I appreciate the scenery, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Monza and Suzuka provide boring races, but that doesn't take away the fact the tracks are nevertheless awesome.
They're awesome to drive, drivers love them, in sim gaming they are great challenges, onboards look great, the tracks have tradition, the scenery is beautiful, there is punishing gravel and the atmosphere and the crowd is just phenomenal.

Even though the last 1½ hours of the weekend are quite dull, that doesn't mean the whole weekend has been boring.
The hype for the race builds up from Thursday onwards. I will always wake up for Free Practice sessions of Japanese GP, because the track is so awesome that I enjoy the every moment seeing the cars doing the S-curves. But I'm not willing to wake up for Shanghai, because it's no special.

Shanghai or Bahrain may have lots of overtaking during races, but they lack in every other mentioned aspect against the old-school tracks. Even though after the race we rate the GP according the amount of battles and drama, F1 should not be valued only in terms of on-track fighting. That's a very limited viewpoint of motorsport.
Sure, it would be nice to see plenty of action in every track. But do we really want all tracks to become copycat tilkedromes? Maybe we should learn to appreciate the other things in classic tracks. And hey, at least Monza has the supporting classes that provide the racing we enjoy. If F1 leaves Monza, so will GP2, GP3 and Porsche Supercup, and that would be a great shame too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's just a shame they did what they did to Parabolica. It was always good to watch them flirt with the edge of the track and an off but now they can just drive off like Alonso kept doing over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:41 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

The same goes for the old Hockenheim. Yeah it was some long straights, but it wasn't exciting for the drivers and put on pretty average races, except for 2000 and even then it was Barrichello 50 kg lighter than the rest. They changed the track and it has one of the best overtaking spots on the calendar but people loathe it. I don't understand the hate for a track that puts on far superior racing quality.

Monza also puts extra costs on the teams that have to manufacture extra parts just for one race.

If they widen some sections at Imola, fix the Tiemann wall and remove the Villeneuve chicane - take the race there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:11 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

mclaren2008 wrote:
Monza also puts extra costs on the teams that have to manufacture extra parts just for one race.

What extra parts? Teams make new front wing, rear wing, brake ducts and floor to almost every race. Baku, Spa and Mexico are also fast tracks and they use similar parts for these events as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Gaara wrote:
It's just a shame they did what they did to Parabolica. It was always good to watch them flirt with the edge of the track and an off but now they can just drive off like Alonso kept doing over the weekend.

so you're saying that his fastest lap didn't went on track limits?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:46 pm 
This place is Purile and Childish
This place is Purile and Childish

mclaren2008 wrote:
The same goes for the old Hockenheim. Yeah it was some long straights, but it wasn't exciting for the drivers and put on pretty average races, except for 2000 and even then it was Barrichello 50 kg lighter than the rest. They changed the track and it has one of the best overtaking spots on the calendar but people loathe it. I don't understand the hate for a track that puts on far superior racing quality.

If they widen some sections at Imola, fix the Tiemann wall and remove the Villeneuve chicane - take the race there.

Get real, you are talking about a sport where teams waste 60k euros in making carbon fibre jacks to shave 2 tenths of a second off pit stop times. They don't give a shit about making a special wing for Monza.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Talladega wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

Get real, you are talking about a sport where teams waste 60k euros in making carbon fibre jacks to shave 2 tenths of a second off pit stop times. They don't give a shit about making a special wing for Monza.

Also, not all of them even bother to do this now. Manor, for example, simply designed enough positions into their rear wing to cover all circuits. Mercedes brought a Monza special rear wing, but ended up using the one from Baku, which will no doubt influence them in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:17 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

2016 F1 aerodynamics is soooo interesting...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:17 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Speaking of wings, I felt that this year the wings were "kinda" steep compared to the past.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Go to Imola or Vallelunga or any other circuit in Italy there are plenty to choose from but please get rid of this track.

Enna Pergusa IMHO. A joke of a track with silly chicanes, but guaranteed to provide some action - and the scenery is still cool as it's around a lake.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
ah Pergusa, the track that had a race cancelled because of frogs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:58 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

LucasWheldon wrote:
ah Pergusa, the track that had a race cancelled because of frogs

I just imagined the head of the track marshalls explaining this to the race control with overly dramatic italian style. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

nascarf1indycar wrote:
Lewis biggest rival is himself.

He declared after the race (to the official F1 youtube channel) that the start was not his fault and that they should look into it. I dont know if there was any follow-up to this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:38 pm 

Mercedes has confirmed the (chronic) malfunction in the clutch. Rosberg too has had the same flaw before.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Meh, I call BS on this tbh. Lewis owned up to a poor start initially and then changed his tune. The new clutch regs were meant to put the start back in the hands of the driver, so where is the dividing line between 'the team set the clutch up wrong' and 'I used the clutch badly'?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:03 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
Meh, I call BS on this tbh. Lewis owned up to a poor start initially and then changed his tune. The new clutch regs were meant to put the start back in the hands of the driver, so where is the dividing line between 'the team set the clutch up wrong' and 'I used the clutch badly'?

The dividing line is quite literally how you phrased it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Before the start of the race, around the time of the formation lap, the US commentary team mentioned that Rosberg was reporting that he was suffering from or expected issues at the start with the clutch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:33 pm 

gkmotorsport wrote:

Which part of "clutch malfuncion" did you not understand?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:01 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's not like Rosberg made a great start either, indeed Vettel was alongside him into turn 1, it's just Hamilton's start was worse and made his look normal by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next