TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 187 88 89 90 91125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We’d go on Friday and take a tent and camp in the woods for the weekend, until they moved the race to Silverstone.

Silverstone was more difficult, although I did manage to sneak in a couple times in the back of a transit in a pile of tyres.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Less practice also spices up the order occasionally when some top dog doesn't find the solution and teams have zero info on weather and tyre wear. Those are often the best races.

I'm not sure there's any correlation between less practice and better races tbh. You can also end up with a more strung out and less competitive pack. NASCAR didn't practice at all throughout the pandemic and it didn't make the racing any better or more chaotic.

F1, like seemingly every other series, is focussing on the wrong thing. You can throw as many different formats and points-paying sessions at it as you like, people still aren't going to watch if the racing is dull. In fact they'll probably turn off quicker if they have to watch 4 sessions every weekend to keep up with the championship standings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:30 pm 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

200 minutes practice for the 20th placed driver in the championship. 10 minutes practice for the leader of the championship. F1 fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Less practice also spices up the order occasionally when some top dog doesn't find the solution and teams have zero info on weather and tyre wear.

I think with less practice, the team that starts the season on top will stay on top, because nobody can try things and catch up.

I wonder what use it is to have points in other sessions. The team that dominates, usually dominates in all sessions. You won't make the championship more unpredictable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:06 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

RtN wrote:

He's not the new Bernie though, he's the new Max Mosely and that's just the kind of idiotic shit he'd come up with to grab attention when he wanted to sneak something else through, or he'd come up with an extreme like, I don't know, "NO PRACTICE ANYMORE!" and the teams would counter-propose with "How about bringing back testing outside of a race weekend instead then?" and then they'd both compromise on something realistic like "oh ok, 15 mins off each practice session then", which would invariably be his goal all along

People here hate the sprint format but I do like the urgency of 1 practice session on Friday, then straight into Qualifying. Then another race practice session on the Saturday and then straight into a race

If the sprint isn't what people like, I'd be happy with a 1995 and before format of a 2nd qualifying session. Especially if you made the friday qualifying worth a point and a definite front row start no matter what happens on Saturday, like CART used to do.

Just feels like there's more impetus in the action than them running around testing stuff.

Saying that, with so little practice and so little testing, how do they expect teams that aren't the dominant force to be able to catch up? If we get a red bull dominanted season next year, as looks highly likely, then when are Ferrari/Mercedes/Mclaren going to be able to close the gap exactly when they only have 1 hr on a friday to try new parts?
Mercedes had to sacrifice most of Lewis' early season races to get a handle on their fucked up car this year, leading to short sighted headlines that Lewis had lost his talent, as if, but we'd probably see a hell of a lot more of that if we had less practice. Maybe every team would go the Bennetton route of having a championship contending car and another just there for testing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't think so. Max and Bernie both played games like that - the stack of retards currently in control of the "sport" actually want all of what they propose. It's not a gambit.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
would make more sense to pick a setup at random before each race, you cound run Monza with Singapore setup or Monaco with Canada setup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

EAS wrote:
micha wrote:
Apparently there is some rumbling of him joining Haas.

So, if true, seems like no-one wants to join Alpine and/or partner Ocon.

Not sure whether it is Dan who doesn't Alpine or the very opposite. He probably is still an expensive driver while his relationship with the team has some scars.

I'm not so sure about that. He probably comes at a subsidized rate (at least for 2023), as he's likely to be collecting a payout from McLaren as part of their early contract cancellation. Which is likely the reason why Haas are even able to consider him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:
I watch Friday practice because I work from home and work is slow.

I am not interested in farcical sprint races.

Now more teams, that’s what I want. And races and good traditional tracks like spa. But guess what the fia wants……

If Domenicali wants to reduce the number of practice sessions, they need to stop beating around the bush and switch to 2-day weekends for all races already. Especially if they want to push more races into the calendar. One practice session on Sat morning prior to qualifying would spice things up a little bit with some unpredictability. The sprint qualifying can be scrapped as I couldn't care less about them, but if they still insist on running them for revenue/ratings purposes, then the order could always be determined as reverse championship order or reverse of the previous race's classification.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PAUL RICARD IS DROPPED FOR 2023!!!

At least some good news too

There will be no French GP on the calendar next year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
PAUL RICARD IS DROPPED FOR 2023!!!

At least some good news too

There will be no French GP on the calendar next year.

now we need only to send Barcelona to fuck off and be replaced by another european round

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Either Domenicali is stupid or greedy, or is forced to look like he hates F1. :slaphead: He always wants things that I'm absolutely against of (sprint races etc.), and never wants things I long for (13 teams etc.).
F1 needs a management revolution. It should be steered by the drivers and the fans who only think about the best for the sport, not some corporate twats who only think about money. Yes, I know what would happen, F1 would be in a bankrupt in 2 years. But they would be the best 2 years ever :p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The other teams don’t want more teams because it cuts into their short term income.

They don’t care it could raise the income drastically making the 1/11th of that more than the current 1/10th they get

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:14 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The more you read about the fan angering stories such as the potential loss of Spa or the sport being adamantly against adding cars to the grid (If I was a young driver in the ladder series I'd be furious that they're so against expanding the grid and giving me more oppurtunities to get into the sport. Ditto if I was a younger mechanic or aerodynamist or something, less chances to get a job in the sport than if the grid was expanded by 4/6 cars) it makes me wonder how they managed to get the 2022 rule changes through as improve the racing on track has been one of the few good decisions they've managed to pull off in the past 10 years or more

Ever since the ludicrous adding downforce for 2017, there's been a downward spiral of frustrating decision after frustrating decision, then out of nowhere: ground effect and good racing again.
HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can explain that, good looking cars and good racing is happening despite, not because the blunders from FIA and Liberty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They changed the floor rules, for all we know the next 9 races are back to previous levels of boredom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
EAS wrote:
micha wrote:
Apparently there is some rumbling of him joining Haas.

So, if true, seems like no-one wants to join Alpine and/or partner Ocon.

Not sure whether it is Dan who doesn't Alpine or the very opposite. He probably is still an expensive driver while his relationship with the team has some scars.

I'm not so sure about that. He probably comes at a subsidized rate (at least for 2023), as he's likely to be collecting a payout from McLaren as part of their early contract cancellation. Which is likely the reason why Haas are even able to consider him.

If that is true, which I think it is likely, it is a good bet, indeed. An experienced driver with a huge upside if everything goes his way. But if he is willing to keep himself at the grid, we're probably talking about a 7-figures contract rather than a 8-figures one

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:42 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think Alpine for Riccardo is the most logical choice for both parties

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:22 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Worst kept secret confirmed. Audi will officially join Formula One in 2026

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/audi ... /10357429/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:53 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 187 88 89 90 91125 Next