TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78 79 Next

Who will lead the Drivers Championship after the Japanese GP?
Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:53 am
Lewis HAMILTON 64%  64%  [ 21 ]
Nico ROSBERG 36%  36%  [ 12 ]
Total votes: 33
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:08 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

They should just stop complaining. I wonder if they would like getting up at 3am to watch races in North and South America :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just set my DVR to record the race, then start watching as soon as I wake up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gael wrote:
I just set my DVR to record the race, then start watching as soon as I wake up.

Same here

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
the argument that F1 should not cater for the largest TV base because it would somehow make every country in the world European is utterly retarded.

I think you're missing the point - it will always be problematic to try and time events around the world to suit one timezone. Taking it to the point where you're running an F1 race in near darkness and putting drivers' lives at risk, I'm pretty sure that's more utterly retarded than what webbsy was saying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:50 pm 
2012 F1 Pick-Ems champion

Most of the races are at 5am on the West Coast of North America. I don't mind getting up for them as there's no distractions with other people you live with as they're all asleep, and you're never committed to something else at that time so pretty much guaranteed you can watch it live. Only con is if you stay out late Saturday night :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:59 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't get the late race times either. When I'm in Europe, I prefer early morning races because then you wake up, get F1 served and still have an entire Sunday left. And you can do anything you want. So moving it 1h later won't change much because you'd still have to get up and everyone I know will not do it if they're not a real fan because there's definitely gonna be reruns.

Watching races with Eastern Time is ok, too, at least for European ones because you have the 8am start time which I like. Other races just as with Japan are not so good. Actually, starting the race later makes it even worse, 2am was the start time.

For watching races with Pacific Time, 5am is alright. As F1Peter wrote, the big advantage is that you have the house for youself, everyone still sleeping which is nice. And it's better for Asian races because they tend to be earlier, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:47 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Philthy82 wrote:
ellis wrote:
the argument that F1 should not cater for the largest TV base because it would somehow make every country in the world European is utterly retarded.

I think you're missing the point - it will always be problematic to try and time events around the world to suit one timezone. Taking it to the point where you're running an F1 race in near darkness and putting drivers' lives at risk, I'm pretty sure that's more utterly retarded than what webbsy was saying.

Although I'm quoting you, I'm replying to everybody who replied to me.

I never said it wasn't stupid running races like they do. As a Euro I miss the 3am get ups. I don't want every race at noon. And apart from the odd race like Singapore and Abu Dhabi, I think every race should be run at the normal local time. I have never once said they should be catering for Europe.

I said it's understandable they're catering for Europe, and that moving a race in Japan to a later time slot, does not make it a European Championship...because that's not how countries work.

Quote:
Its just another instance of the hypocrisy of Bernie that makes me want to punch that old fucker in the face. Its either a World Championship or its not. You don't have a World Championship and run it at convenient times for Europe. Cause that would be a European Championship.

That entire paragraph is utter utter shite. Just complete bollocks. It's almost internet troll level of stupidity, from "I want to punch Bernie!" to "It's not a world championship!". Aye of course Gary. Of course.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He's not a hypocrite? He's not out to maximize his own personal interests? He's not out to put himself front and square in the media spotlight? He doesn't orchestrate things behind the scenes to eventually get his own way? He hasn't long since past the point where he should relinquish his control of the sport? He hasn't become a Jean Marie Balestre?

I should have been more respectful. I should have said I wanted to flick him in the eye.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:45 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I fail to see what that has to do with anything I said. And you've kinda proved my point, in that you've managed to make the point more respectfully. When someone resorts to "I want to punch that old fucker in the face" and "a race in Japan is a European race if you run it late" is shit. If you say that then you shouldn't be getting interviews in Autosport. You should be in the comments section of Reddit.

This is a world championship. Not a European one. You simply cannot argue that. It...isn't even remotely debatable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:58 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

...you do realise webbsy said that, not Gary Anderson?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:03 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Yeah. That's why I said "should not be getting interviews in Autosport". So unless Webbsy is getting interviews in Autosport. :P

Also -

webbsy wrote:
Agree with everything Gary Anderson said btw.

I agree with not running races at bizarre times. But to say its not a world championship and he wants to "punch an old fucker in the face" is where the article just becomes a tabloid gutter trash piece. I'd like to think we're a bit better than reading bollocks like that tbh. But I also thought Gary was better than that too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Easy to mish mash quotes, but he was talking about me not Gary. Would have been epic if Gary said that though haha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:08 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Right, I see what happened. Someone broke the quotes, because one page ago we have this -

Autosport.com wrote:
Gary Anderson: The lessons of Suzuka

For the precious European viewers....who incidentally (aside from Austria) are getting fewer and fewer races. Azerbaijan doesn't count, cause I will argue till I'm black and blue that that's not Europe.

Its just another instance of the hypocrisy of Bernie that makes me want to punch that old fucker in the face. Its either a World Championship or its not. You don't have a World Championship and run it at convenient times for Europe. Cause that would be a European Championship.

But Still, I stand by my point of whilst the races are at stupid times...this is not a European championship. Basic geography says otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:

I agree with not running races at bizarre times. But to say its not a world championship and he wants to "punch an old fucker in the face" is where the article just becomes a tabloid gutter trash piece. I'd like to think we're a bit better than reading bollocks like that tbh. But I also thought Gary was better than that too.

Wait ellis, now you are confusing me :8: I said that, not Gary. You mean my comment is the kind that is Daily Mail worthy? Is that what you mean?

Well that turned Basil Fawlty pretty quickly lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:24 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

webbsy wrote:
ellis wrote:

Wait ellis, now you are confusing me :8: I said that, not Gary. You mean my comment is the kind that is Bile filled racist hate-spewing toilet paper worthy? Is that what you mean?

Manuel!

I think the kind of comment of "I want to punch that old fucker in the face" is the kind of crap that's written in comments section there, which I didn't expect here. It's the reason I left r/formula1 on reddit - because of the overwhelming amount of people who'll post shit like that. You make some completely valid points with his hypocrisy, power, etc. But "I want to punch that old fucker in the face"...good stuff..

I think the comment of "That's not a world championship, that's a European championship" is so utterly wrong and ridiculous it's hard to even comment on it. I also agree that races should be run at natural times (with the exception of Singapore and Abu Dhabi, due to the unique nature of the event), but to suggest it completely changes the championship and the championship status is silly, to put it mildly.

I also feel that people analyzing the race time to this extent need to stop digging for causes frankly. It can (and will) rain at any time of the day, and we extremely rarely move the race time to accommodate this. The lighting was not an issue at Suzuka - it was fine and drivers could see. Having more light in that situation would've not have effected the accident. And whilst there is some very serious arguments to be made against the moving of race starting times, I don't think it should be bolted onto this accident. There was visible flags, there are lights on the dash, and there are box lights at various points. They were aware there was an accident.

Whilst it is a sad time, we need to sit down and discuss drivers attitude during yellow flags. There has been a decline in respect for incidents for years, and it's happening all over motorsport. Whilst it sucks to have to discuss it, it appears to be that the reason we're sitting here with a seriously injured racing driver is because one finally got caught out with not respecting yellow flags. Maybe we can talk about the type of vehicle used on course, maybe we can talk about safety car deployment. But even the best drivers on the grid currently don't care about safety and yellow flags. And it finally bit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:58 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

ellis wrote:
The lighting was not an issue at Suzuka - it was fine and drivers could see. Having more light in that situation would've not have effected the accident.

Sutil said in interview that it was getting too dark because it was getting difficult to see the wet patches. So maybe it was a factor.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:57 pm 

ellis wrote:
Whilst it is a sad time, we need to sit down and discuss drivers attitude during yellow flags. There has been a decline in respect for incidents for years, and it's happening all over motorsport. Whilst it sucks to have to discuss it, it appears to be that the reason we're sitting here with a seriously injured racing driver is because one finally got caught out with not respecting yellow flags. Maybe we can talk about the type of vehicle used on course, maybe we can talk about safety car deployment. But even the best drivers on the grid currently don't care about safety and yellow flags.

This was probably also the case in 1991, when one of the "Greatest Drivers Ever" didn't see a local yellow or something, and hit and got wedged under a safety vehicle in Detroit (with his son neatly following through by crashing out beside him). :mrgreen:

As I understand it, CART responded to the Mario/Michael Andretti Detroit incident with more full course cautions when safety vehicles were on the course, and skirts / underride bumper type elements on the safety vehicles. This probably is the correct response for F1: a greater awareness of when to throw full course cautions, and some sort of safety vehicle standardization that reduces underride accident potential.

Racers are paid to win races, which means they are going to go as fast as possible and eek out whatever advantage they can. If the rules around a double yellow flag are too vague (and IMHO they *certainly* are right now in F1), racers are not going to pay much mind to them (as is the case now).

Perhaps the double yellow rules need to be tightened, yes, where the slowdown is more enforced (and also more defined). But from my perspective, I would err even more on the side of caution: by using the safety car. In fact, I think that *this* is what finally bit F1 -- the reluctance to call the safety car at certain times. Just this year, we had that ridiculous German GP incident where marshals were running on a live track -- that could have easily been just as tragic of an event as this one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Something I just noticed is that at about the point they both look to have spun off there's a surface change on the track, I wonder if that played a role with the transition from old to new tarmac having a bit less grip & perhaps it's not a completely flat transition.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:12 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's "common knowledge" there is quite a bump there - as you point out, a transition in surface. Raikkonen lost it there in 2001 and was picked up by Alesi. Brundle lost it there as well, 20 years ago.

Last edited by Tobias on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wouldn't be too surprised to see them leaning more towards the US way when it comes to yellows. I don't see why they couldn't get a full-course yellow down to a couple of laps with a more efficient way of lining the cars up.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78 79 Next