TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 167 68 69 70 71123 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can we please have a "Daddy's Dream Team"? Stroll and Marco Andretti. Lawrence might like it cause Andretti might actually make Lance look good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:50 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

codename_47 wrote:
Meanwhile Williams could probably do with Perez' money and talent so look out George.... :ohmy:

Despite having been confirmed at Williams next year alongside Latifi, George doesn't sound like a man who wants to be at Williams...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/racefansdotnet/status/1283743025034866688[/tweet]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Does anybody sound like they want to be at Williams these days?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

That's surprisingly non PR-friendly from a young driver in his second season... especially considering he is contracted, like it or not. Suggests he feels confident he's got somewhere else to go

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There is a seat at Brackley with his name on it.

If Toto offers Hamilton any more than $20 million then he is a total mug. He can put anyone with a Superlicense in that car and the result won't change.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah George is definitely headed to Brackley and good for him. They're a good team, with or without Mercedes there.

Whatever happened with Ocon going there though? At one point he was considered their golden child. :innocent:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think Ocon severed ties with Mercedes, to sign for Renault.

Race drive always wins over testing duties. Mercedes isn't going to drop Bottas for the time being.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also, who knows when the tide will turn. Today's questionable decisions could become tomorrow's golden egg chicken.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

iks wrote:
Yeah George is definitely headed to Brackley and good for him. They're a good team, with or without Mercedes there.

Whatever happened with Ocon going there though? At one point he was considered their golden child. :innocent:

He was, but there was no room for him and Toto handed him to Renault.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:50 pm 

RtN wrote:

If Toto offers Hamilton any more than $20 million then he is a total mug. He can put anyone with a Superlicense in that car and the result won't change.

I saw the idea that Mercedes may have approached Williams and were rebuffed. I'm not sure about that. Three things crossed my mind:

1) Is Russell's contract worth so much that even Mercedes couldn't buy it out? Even when Mercedes supply Williams? Seems a bit of a stretch to me - I know it's a 3-year contract but he's a second-year driver who is still very much unproven

2) Why would Williams, who are skint, not accept an offer from Mercedes to buy his contract? Surely they're better off pocketing the cash and finding a decent Latifi-esque pay driver to fill the second seat

3) Russell is clearly talented and has a bright future if things work out in his favour, but does he represent enough of an improvement on Bottas, a proven race winner who has a chance of winning the championship this year if the cards fall his way, or Lewis, a six-time world champion and a marketing dream, to justify signing him? Knowing how risk-averse F1 teams are, it would be an odd decision

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Somebody made some football jersey mock ups for the F1 teams. Alfa, Williams and Renault have some classy ones

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looks like Tracing Point get even more free opportunities to copy the winners next year: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raci ... n=widget-2

Haas and Alfa should use the same loophole to get a free upgrade from Ferrari '20 to '19 parts, will probably be as big a performance boost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

James B wrote:
RtN wrote:

I saw the idea that Mercedes may have approached Williams and were rebuffed. I'm not sure about that. Three things crossed my mind:

1) Is Russell's contract worth so much that even Mercedes couldn't buy it out? Even when Mercedes supply Williams? Seems a bit of a stretch to me - I know it's a 3-year contract but he's a second-year driver who is still very much unproven

2) Why would Williams, who are skint, not accept an offer from Mercedes to buy his contract? Surely they're better off pocketing the cash and finding a decent Latifi-esque pay driver to fill the second seat

3) Russell is clearly talented and has a bright future if things work out in his favour, but does he represent enough of an improvement on Bottas, a proven race winner who has a chance of winning the championship this year if the cards fall his way, or Lewis, a six-time world champion and a marketing dream, to justify signing him? Knowing how risk-averse F1 teams are, it would be an odd decision

you are more than likely correct, but one advantage to having a genuinely good driver is that he can provide you with invaluable data to help the team improve the car - especially over mulitple seasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

trout wrote:
James B wrote:
RtN wrote:

you are more than likely correct, but one advantage to having a genuinely good driver is that he can provide you with invaluable data to help the team improve the car - especially over mulitple seasons.

This is a very good point, and could be the crucial one. Williams aren't pulling themselves out of the current hole with pay drivers who can't develop a car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

There has never been a 7 season period where every race was won by one of three teams until now.

There has never been a 7 season period where only one team won 75% of all races until now (imagine what this stat would look like if Ferrari's cheat engine had been uncovered and banned sooner).

There has never been a 7 season period where only 8 teams scored a podium until now.

There has never been a 7 season period where 3 teams between them took over 90% of the podium finishes until now (2/3rds of the surprise podiums occured in the first 2 seasons of the past 7).

This is objectively the least competitive period in F1's entire history.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yet they argue the time gap between cars is the smallest in history

well, it could be but what for since is the same car winning every single race

fuck reliability

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In a way I am fascinated by Mercedes' dominance and applaud it in a way.
Never has one team been this dominant over such a long period. You cant have no respect for that.

but at the same time I'm hoping every race weekend Mercedes gets caught cheating and kicked all the way down to the bottom so we can have another winner again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's just unfinished history. When Mercedes last competed in F1 before this, they were so far out in front of everyone else, it was a joke back then too. Only because of their decision to withdraw from motorsport due to the 1955 Le Mans disaster did any other manufacturer get to win in the following years, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

and in 1954-55 they had the best drivers at their service. Even though the most prominent one was way past his 40's

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Nurburgring now being rumoured to host the German race instead of Hockenheim.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 167 68 69 70 71123 Next