Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:54 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

codename_47 wrote:
siggy wrote:
By your argument bianchi was deserving of a time penalty in that race or perhaps a grid penalty for the next one.
The FIA's lack of action on that day meant he didn't get that chance.

Yes, it's a can of worms, but he was too quick in a yellow flag situation and spun off, endangering the marshall and Sutil. So from my point of view, Jules was responsible and definitely should have received a harsh penalty. Every other car made it past there in one piece, but he spun off, so by definition he f'ed up in a place where he should have not under any circumstances. But it's just today's society where no one can accept a mistake or seeks the blame somewhere else like suing McDonalds for hot coffee.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:04 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think i wrote that.

But i agree. The whole western society these days doesn't know the term 'taking responsibility for your own actions'. A bit extreme in this case, but in general, it's always someone else's fault.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:44 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I wrote that, sometimes the quotes feck themselves.

I don't see a car losing grip over a freaking river of water that could've been different for every car going over it (maybe the others had the benefit of a car ahead parting the water slightly, or more water trickled down just before Jules arrived, or he was on a slightly different line etc)
Also seeing a tiny flap of yellow cloth in the wet with steamed up and blurry visor is harder than we'll ever know, AND there's the fact that actually backing off for the yellow with thefirst place resulting lowering of downforce grip might have been how he lost it in the

There's so many mitigating circumstances maybe I don't want to just leap to victim blaming of a dead person without knowing the true facts. If that makes me a namby pamby member of western society then so be it

But we do know the fact that the tractor shouldn't have been able to be hit by drivers at any speed, they had an entire freaking lap between Sutil's accident and Bianchi's (You can see Jules ahead of Adrian in the replay of the sauber going off, had)so that's how long they had) so maybe I don't feel like giving the FIA a pass on this and putting all the blame on the driver's shoulders.
It might work for biased FIA reports, but doesn't wash with me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the difference between us discussing this and FIA discussing is that they gathered together to discuss "how do we say it was his fault and not ours?" and us is just trying to show that the halo is something just for them to show and say "look, safety matters to us, we are trying"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:30 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

LucasWheldon wrote:
the difference between us discussing this and FIA discussing is that they gathered together to discuss "how do we say it was his fault and not ours?" and us is just trying to show that the halo is something just for them to show and say "look, safety matters to us, we are trying"

Knee-jerk reactions are stupid.
It's the reason Indycars run around with stupid wheel guards in the wake of Las Vegas 2011 as they misunderstand the fact its the over-downforced aerodynamics that they force the cars to run that means they fly through the greatest of ease.
Yes, wheel to wheel contact gets them there but all open wheel series have that, they didn't seem to notice only their series flew higher and further than any other.

Now they have wheel guards that don't always work and if anything make the flights even worse (see indy) when they do still get airbourne.

But hey, at least they're seen to be doing something!

The halo is the same, we all know of a few of the most recent accidents where it would've done nothing and maybe more that had no consequences it might make worse, but the FIA have to be seen to be trying.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The wheel guards were designed and approved well before Wheldon's accident. And there's been no proven connection between the wheel guards and air getting under the car. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:03 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Did that ever happen in cart? Air getting underneath the car, i mean. I would like to know for sure, i can't really remember cart cars going flying. Or an f1 car for that matter. Or did cart/f1 never have the high speed spins irl/indycar has?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:33 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

siggy wrote:
Did that ever happen in cart? Air getting underneath the car, i mean. I would like to know for sure, i can't really remember cart cars going flying. Or an f1 car for that matter. Or did cart/f1 never have the high speed spins irl/indycar has?

Cart ran ground effect so nope

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
The wheel guards were designed and approved well before Wheldon's accident. And there's been no proven connection between the wheel guards and air getting under the car. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

This.

Pretty sure the purpose of the wheel guards was to protect against punctures caused by front wing to tyre contact.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:08 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I may have got the timeline wrong but I'm sure they were talking about accidents like Bracks (irony, his IRL accident not the one posted above), Kanaan's, Franchitti's pairing, et al, when they announced the DW12

Wheel to Wheel contact was seen at fault, not the shed load of downforce that meant those things sailed through the air.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F1 testing Special:
[dailymotion]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3w6rvn_f1-testing-special_sport[/dailymotion]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:22 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
I may have got the timeline wrong but I'm sure they were talking about accidents like Bracks (irony, his IRL accident not the one posted above), Kanaan's, Franchitti's pairing, et al, when they announced the DW12

Wheel to Wheel contact was seen at fault, not the shed load of downforce that meant those things sailed through the air.

The only "airborne" crash I seem to remember in CART's later years is Rahal at Motegi 98 when he hit the wall and flipped over as air got underneath, other times (Moore at Fontana, Servia at Laguna '01) were more down to cars hitting grass or gravel at a bizarre angle. Other than that, the cars were pretty much rooted to the track