TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Up until the late 70s it was normal to run a older car from another team. Now it's suddenly not acceptable anymore because F1 is "elite". Same goes for one car teams. Just not elite enough.

I'm still pissed off at frank Williams for voting against customer cars several years back. Yes I understand it would have hurt your team but if it was illegal from the beginning you wouldn't be in F1 in the first place!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
funny that Frank started in the sport buying one Brabham and then a March

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/244976/1/h ... ances.html

Obviously only when it suits him off course.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
Up until the late 70s it was normal to run a older car from another team. Now it's suddenly not acceptable anymore because F1 is "elite". Same goes for one car teams. Just not elite enough.

I'm still pissed off at frank Williams for voting against customer cars several years back. Yes I understand it would have hurt your team but if it was illegal from the beginning you wouldn't be in F1 in the first place!

He wasn't the only guy against it, most of the big teams were, it's more to do with liability, i.e. if a component breaks and kills someone, the manufacturer (Ferrari, McLaren, Merc etc.) didn't want to end up being sued as a result, and in this day and age, being sued for a component failure leading to someone's death can kill a company.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Really? I thought it was down to the revenue and prize money allocation. No additional revenue and prize was being made available from FOM so the new team(s) would be competing for a share of the existing pot. Frank Williams questioned how and why could a customer F1 team qualify for revenue and prize money when they weren't a manufacturer. Additional to that was the potential that a customer team could beat a manufacture team (i.e. Williams) and take a share of revenue away from said team. At the time Williams were in a financial black hole having lost BMW and the significant investment that came with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jan Larsen wrote:
webbsy wrote:
What about when it rains and water/ oil/ muck gets on the inside of the shield as well as on the drivers visor?

Tearoffs. Both inside and outside. Shouldn't to be too hard to make and for the driver to operate.

Yes it would be difficult for the driver to do that. Unless it is a button they push you are asking them to reach up over the side of the cockpit and that movement is very hard for them to do when strapped in and the steering wheel is on.

Also where would they store the tear offs? If the visor tear offs are seen as a problem (rubbish) imagine what a full screen tear off would do.

I understand they can heat the screens, but that does nothing about the physical gunk that would accumulate on the screen. It would just be an absolute ridiculous thing for a driver to pit to have to clean the half shield on their Frankenstein open cockpit car.

To me its like comparing which one you would rather eat...a chocolate cake made of shit or a chocolate cake made of shit with sprinkles on it.

I'm just so against both of these concepts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:36 am 

aerogi wrote:
Quote:
Tax issues and absence (2014–2017)[edit]
..........The circuit, despite the placards saying "New Delhi"[39] is not located in the union territory of Delhi, but in the neighbouring state of Uttar Pradesh.[34] The government of UP now says that F1 is not a sport, but entertainment and wants to levy taxes on the event.[

So, even they realised the effects of shitty tyres and DRS :lol:

Gabriel wrote:
I wish they could get rid of the "rule" that doesn't allow more than one race per country.

To have something like Hockenheim and Nürburgring, Monza and Imola, Silverstone and Donington (?), US GP West/East, it would be great...to keep F1 racing where it should.

Does such rule exists? I think that is not done anymore because it's not affordable for any country. Remember when somebody came up with the idea of a race in London and even the likes of Brundle were saying they are struggling to pay for Silverstone so the UK could not afford two GPs.

Also, Hockenheim and Nürburgring, Monza and Imola? Kyalami?
:yuk: Prefer the Indian layout
JJ wrote:
Yeah, but then we'll hear "all countries must be treated equally! It can't be unjust!"
Someday they will limit the grid to have only 1 driver per nationality, and equal share from each continent.

It's ok for the Olympic Games to do a demagogical thing like that but not for a "sport/business" like racing because it's a mega expensive and exclusive kind of activity. Only a few countries are rich enough to participate on this sort of sport.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
micha wrote:

He wasn't the only guy against it, most of the big teams were, it's more to do with liability, i.e. if a component breaks and kills someone, the manufacturer (Ferrari, McLaren, Merc etc.) didn't want to end up being sued as a result, and in this day and age, being sued for a component failure leading to someone's death can kill a company.

If it was that bad why supply engines? Or brakes or tyres?

No, it's what Kals said. Price money related.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

Don't really understand that. I work for an OEM, once a rival OEM company services, maintains or modifies our OEM product they inherit all liability if our product fails, their fault.

If I bought a Williams, I inherit responsibility of the equipment. It can easily be written into a contract.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm no lawyer. Heck I'm not even a good engineer.

I think customer cars are an excellent idea, however, without backing from a manufacturer in this day and age, the 12 month gap in technical advancements would be impossible to overcome.

No I don't understand it either, but it was one of the reasons floated against it, and of course Frank's "I don't want to be racing against a field of McLarens" - bet he wishes he was now :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Speaking of Frank Williams, has he appeared this year in public? I don't think I've seen him in the pit since his absence due to pneumonia.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
Speaking of Frank Williams, has he appeared this year in public? I don't think I've seen him in the pit since his absence due to pneumonia.

I think he popped up a couple of weeks ago during his birthday celebrations, but he certainly has been keeping a low profile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Times have changed a lot I think, it is not as simple as it used to be.

running old cars is not an option I think in current F1? We would have cars that are 4-5 seconds slower, Pirelli would need to make the old tyres again etc etc.

And cars used to be mechanical, now these are more like computers with 4 wheels attached. The 'seller' would probably have to put a lot of energy and input to overcome potential problems etc. You could run a F1 car/engine with just a few technically skilled engineers.

All these 'clients' used the Cosworth V8 engine, which you basically bought around the corner. I have never seen a Ferrari, Renault, Alfa Romeo in the 70s supplying a customer car. These days we don't have that type of engine anymore.

These days it is just much more complicated.

Just my thoughts, even though it would be great to have such teams on the grid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:46 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Isn't there a rule that you have to declare what car you're gonna use at the start of the year

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

that's why I said customer cars would run a parallel championship, like in 1987 when Turbos raced the actual championship and NA teams raced the Jim Clark Cup

about nations in F1, they should make a racing series like the Davis Cup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:

running old cars is not an option I think in current F1? We would have cars that are 4-5 seconds slower, Pirelli would need to make the old tyres again etc etc.

And cars used to be mechanical, now these are more like computers with 4 wheels attached. The 'seller' would probably have to put a lot of energy and input to overcome potential problems etc. You could run a F1 car/engine with just a few technically skilled engineers.

All these 'clients' used the Cosworth V8 engine, which you basically bought around the corner. I have never seen a Ferrari, Renault, Alfa Romeo in the 70s supplying a customer car. These days we don't have that type of engine anymore.

Well. Stop changing the rules each year. Stability in the rules also saves costs and opens up the proper opportunity for customer cars.
And if teams just can buy the designs it's already cheaper than developing a full car on their own.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
aerogi wrote:

Well. Stop changing the rules each year. Stability in the rules also saves costs and opens up the proper opportunity for customer cars.
And if teams just can buy the designs it's already cheaper than developing a full car on their own.

Yeah, if cars can stay "legal" for, say, 3-4 years (with minor updates for the sake of safety or revised loopholes), many teams could enter old cars and even make some development themselves. If we agree on the fact that most cars would be faster or more reliable each year, than there's nothing to worry about (for constructors). And the resources to keep developing the car would guarantee them they can stay on top.

Just let everyone who can enter with a legal car, to do so. 107% rule would do the rest.

"Old" cars can be highly competitive, with some development, as seen in recent years. Just look at the F2001B, F2002B, F2004M, MP4-17D...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:19 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gabriel wrote:
micha wrote:
aerogi wrote:

Yeah, if cars can stay "legal" for, say, 3-4 years (with minor updates for the sake of safety or revised loopholes), many teams could enter old cars and even make some development themselves. If we agree on the fact that most cars would be faster or more reliable each year, than there's nothing to worry about (for constructors). And the resources to keep developing the car would guarantee them they can stay on top.

Just let everyone who can enter with a legal car, to do so. 107% rule would do the rest.

"Old" cars can be highly competitive, with some development, as seen in recent years. Just look at the F2001B, F2002B, F2004M, MP4-17D...

Or Super Aguri, their first car was "extremely" old vintage Arrows.

Now could you even dream of getting, say, first turbo-era Mercedes to get points today? I doubt that, even if the rules had stayed the same this year than what it was. It really would be common sense to allow cars to be within the 107% rule, no matter if they're new or old. At least we might still have Marussia and HRT to fill up the grid. This year it seems that only Mercedes and Ferrari are that 3s faster than what they were last year, others are merely a 1s faster, if any. How's this any better for the sports?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:59 am 

Good old Super Aguri. The team that existed solely to keep Sato on the grid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

and for that

in 2007 they were brilliant considering they were meant to stay at the back

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Good old Super Aguri. The team that existed solely because Honda didn't like the negative publicity they received in Japan after dropping Sato for 2006.

Corrected

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62141 Next