TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 5681 Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bernie never insulted anyone's intelligence by claiming to have 'brand values' beyond making himself as rich as possible.

I have taken every opportunity to point out Liberty's hypocrisy on this and other matters and I will continue to do so.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:26 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
How long has Russia been on the calendar? Or China? Or USA?
And what does the USA have to do with it?

Sent from my Umidigi One Max using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
Bernie never insulted anyone's intelligence by claiming to have 'brand values' beyond making himself as rich as possible.

Dunno about that. Bernie cozying up to Putin doesn't count? I don't disagree with you on the point about Saudia Arabia, but let's not be selective with our outrage whether that is about Liberty or Bernie.

RtN wrote:
I have taken every opportunity to point out Liberty's hypocrisy on this and other matters and I will continue to do so.

Yes that's fairly noticeable.

FiatFan83 wrote:
kals wrote:

Really?!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bernie's relationship with Putin was\is predicated on the same thing ever other relationship of his is - making himself as rich as possible. That is the only value he holds, and I respect the honesty.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So it's ok to cozy up to murderous dictators as long as you're honest about why? Yeah, I disagree. That's pretty appalling. Each to their own I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Better than cozying up to dictators whilst pretending to hold values of any sort. That is what annoys me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
Better than cozying up to dictators whilst pretending to hold values of any sort. That is what annoys me.

Neither is better than the other. Both should annoy you. End of story.

Please keep being skeptical of Liberty, but let’s have a balanced view of these types of things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't like hypocrites. Bernie isn't a hypocrite. Bratches is. They score equal on the 'keeper of low company' scale, so you have to find other ways of differentiating.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
I don't like hypocrites. Bernie isn't a hypocrite. Bratches is. They score equal on the 'keeper of low company' scale, so you have to find other ways of differentiating.

Considering you've referred hypocrites twice, you might want to look at how you're making your point. That by definition is hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:27 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm afraid I don't quite follow. If you think I am happy with Bernie's behaviour over the years, I am not (bringing Spa back on a sweetheart deal excepted). I would have preferred for F1 to stay out of China and Bahrain and Russia and so on (and maybe you could even throw Singapore in there as well). But it happened, and the reasons were never hidden. It doesn't justify the path that was taken, but I always prefer honesty, even when it's a truth that's not particularly pleasant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
RtN wrote:

Dunno about that. Bernie cozying up to Putin doesn't count? I don't disagree with you on the point about Saudia Arabia, but let's not be selective with our outrage whether that is about Liberty or Bernie.

RtN wrote:

FiatFan83 wrote:
kals wrote:

Really?!
Yes, really. I fail to see how you are comparing us to oppressive countries like China and Russia.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:52 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think with Bernie you knew what you were getting. It was utter shit, but you knew it up front. With Liberty, it's becoming evident that we're getting a shit sandwich and being told it's Nutella...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FiatFan83 wrote:
kals wrote:
RtN wrote:

RtN wrote:

FiatFan83 wrote:

Really?!
Yes, really. I fail to see how you are comparing us to oppressive countries like China and Russia.

Both Gulf Wars, the invasion of Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay, general meddling in the middle east, the WMDs, etc... you can include UK in some of that too. And if you want to talk about oppression then how about we start with women's abortion rights / right to choose in certain states, which are going backwards rather than progressing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
I'm afraid I don't quite follow. If you think I am happy with Bernie's behaviour over the years, I am not (bringing Spa back on a sweetheart deal excepted). I would have preferred for F1 to stay out of China and Bahrain and Russia and so on (and maybe you could even throw Singapore in there as well). But it happened, and the reasons were never hidden. It doesn't justify the path that was taken, but I always prefer honesty, even when it's a truth that's not particularly pleasant.

I appreciate the clarification as that wasn't clear beforehand. But you're still saying you preferred Bernie's method over Liberty. That's hypocritical. Whereas both methods should be condemned, there shouldn't be a preference. Considering the subject matter honesty shouldn't even be a point of discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:33 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
FiatFan83 wrote:
kals wrote:

Really?!

Both Gulf Wars, the invasion of Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay, general meddling in the middle east, the WMDs, etc... you can include UK in some of that too. And if you want to talk about oppression then how about we start with women's abortion rights / right to choose in certain states, which are going backwards rather than progressing.
I can tell you're a misguided lefty. We're shitting up this thread with politics though, so I'm leaving it at that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A misguided lefty? That’s an interesting assumption you’ve made there. Funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:34 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
A misguided lefty? That’s an interesting assumption you’ve made there. Funny.
My sincere apologies if I misjudged you. (No sarcasm)
Scotty wrote:
FiatFan83 wrote:
I can tell you're a misguided lefty. We're shitting up this thread with politics though, so I'm leaving it at that.

Keep this going it's got that TBK 2006-era vibe to it where shit fights get started for no reason and three people get banned for a week (usually me)
The good old days, lol.

No, the old saying don't shit where you eat kinda applies here for me.

This is normally a refuge from the BS of reality for me, and I've got no real beef with anyone on here, kals included. I certainly don't want to cause any more trouble or catch a ban, fun as others shit stirring on TBK used to be to watch. I guess I've got a raw nerve with everything going on lately and commenting on anything remotely political is a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Scotty wrote:
FiatFan83 wrote:

Keep this going it's got that TBK 2006-era vibe to it where shit fights get started for no reason and three people get banned for a week (usually me)

I'm too old for that shit now.

kals wrote:
RtN wrote:

I appreciate the clarification as that wasn't clear beforehand. But you're still saying you preferred Bernie's method over Liberty. That's hypocritical. Whereas both methods should be condemned, there shouldn't be a preference. Considering the subject matter honesty shouldn't even be a point of discussion.

I accepted the general direction of the sport regarding new venues a long time ago. Don't like it, but I accept it. I don't see the issue with preferring honesty over duplicity. It makes it much easier to make a personal judgement on whether the sport is worth my custom.

As a wrestling fan, I've seen this story play out once already. MBS wants western circuses to a) keep the population happy and b) to try and give himself and his father's government a veneer of respectibility and the impression that they are making progress, which ties back into a). Western circuses are lured in both with money and the idea that they are contributing to this liberalisation of the country (Vision 2030). They put on their show and then they realise that they've been had when they are left looking like advocates for the regime's worst excesses, but by that point the money alone might be too good to turn down.

I would be interested to see, if this race is agreed, and Liberty win the concessions they have asked for regarding women staff, what their response would be if those concessions are rolled back when the race comes around.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm an aging dinosaur with F1 here, but I always liked it the way it was when I was growing up (ahh fucking rose tinted glasses!!). 16 races a year, mostly Eurocentric, glorious V10s and V12s and 1 hour qualifying on a Friday and Saturday.

I'm happy for F1 to go to places that have motorsport history and interests from a wide range of people, such as Zandvoort, but can't stand F1 going to places that is solely aimed/designed at enriching a select few people/dictators, rather than enriching and bettering not just the motorsport community but the wider community. Looking at you China, Bahrain, Abu Dabi, Azerbijain, Russia, India, Korea...these people deserve the Tilke tracks...

As someone who lived 45 minutes away from the Shanghai circuit and knew local opinion about the track, that race was set up as a money laundering/embezzling/land grab scheme from the very get go. You can bet your sorry arse that the same goes for those I just mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:11 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Bahrain puts on decent races. That's the only excuse it has to remain.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 5681 Next