Penalty for Schumi fair or not?
Poll ended at Wed May 26, 2010 5:54 pm
Yes 17%  17%  [ 18 ]
No 83%  83%  [ 86 ]
Total votes: 104
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:21 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Jan_83 wrote:
I think that the decission is right. Overtaking as such is the worst thing that can happen in a race. I mean. who wants to see overtaking? Me not. And applying the rules correctly? No that would be to easy. In my oppinion it should be part of the race that after the finish line one driver is disqualified for any reason. The reason itself is voted among the TV viewers. That would be funny.

This is an awesome sarcastic post

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:10 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Epic FIAlure once again.

Judges had time to think and still they declared this amateurish verdict. Hill clearly hates Schumi.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joey wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
Swap positions and implement GWC.

A Green-White-Checker rule in F1 would be interesting indeed.

And it won't happen ever, for that very same reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:09 am 

Artur Craft wrote:
Mattzel89 wrote:
20 seconds for an unclear set of regulations? no way.

I could have accepeted that he and Alonso swapped positions again, but this is just ridiculous

When Hamilton did the same with Webber in China he didn't get punished and I moaned untill you told me that the rules had changed.

Regardless of if it is fair or not, why was Schumi punished and Hamilton wasn't when they did the same thing :? Or am I missing something? :o

The rule in question is:

Quote:
Under rule 40.13, which states that "if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking," Schumacher has been given a penalty.

The can pass usually after that safety car line, so if it was any other lap, his move was legal.

The argument mercedes have, is that the track was shown to be green and thus technically the safety car was in before the race ends..

In fact technically the rule makes no sense at all, as the race doesnt end till the leader crosses the line for the last time, so the safety car cant enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap. A simple change would make more sense like:

Quote:
"if the safety car is out on the final lap of the race, it will enter the pitlane at the end of the lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking."

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:42 am 

Michael Schumacher has been my 2nd-least favourite thing about Formula 1 for my entire life - so this is really fucking wierd for me to be defending him this time! But 3 things that get me after missing all of this while sleeping:

1) What's the point of having a pre Start/Finish line Safety Car line?

2) Article X.Y about "If Safety Car is out on Final Lap, SC will pull in and everyone will cross the line without overtaking" makes sense to me, but it isn't applicable here as the Safety Car came in. Lap 78 was not entirely run under the Safety Car and there were Green Flag conditions at its end. The SC was no longer 'deployed' for the final 200m or so of the lap. That's not what's supposed to happen where this particular rule is applied and I think that's confusing a few people. Under this rule, the field would train to the line single-file with the SC in the pit-lane but STILL under SC conditions with all the boards and flags and what have you - ala Melbourne 2009 like many of you have said. This means that the stewards have surely incorrectly applied a rule where they shouldn't have done, haven't they?

3) Charlie, why did you think bringing the SC in at the end of the final lap was even a half-good idea?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:19 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Jan_83 wrote:
I think that the decission is right. Overtaking as such is the worst thing that can happen in a race. I mean. who wants to see overtaking? Me not. And applying the rules correctly? No that would be to easy. In my oppinion it should be part of the race that after the finish line one driver is disqualified for any reason. The reason itself is voted among the TV viewers. That would be funny.

Lemme get this right, you rather watch a parade than a race?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:09 am 

Scotty wrote:
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Jan_83 wrote:

Lemme get this right, you rather watch a parade than a race?

Congratulations, you are the 1,000th member of this forum to blindingly miss sarcasm.

great...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As for Schumacher's pass itself...it was pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here is how McLaren interpreted how the race would end via there radio transcripts:

http://mclaren.com/home
Quote:
Pit: - "Lewis this is the last lap of the race we'll be finishing behind the safety car. No overtaking."

Pit: - "Lewis on the last lap the safety car will go into the pits. The cars will proceed to the line and no overtaking."

HAM: - "I thought you said we couldn't pass after the safety car? Michael passed Fernando."

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:20 pm 
The most anticipated member

I think it wasn't fair. But If F1 is really wanting to take rules seriously, then take out Webber's win. Why? He exceeded pit limit during the race! He was fined in 2.200 euros, but this is the punishment when the driver does that in practice sessions! Let's look at the article 30.12:

In case of Monaco:

30.12 A speed limit of 60 km/h will be imposed in the pit lane during all free practice sessions, this will be raised to 100 km/h for the remainder of the Event. However, this limit may be amended by the stewards following a recommendation from the FIA F1 safety delegate.

Except in the race, any driver who exceeds the limit will be fined Euro 200 for each km/h above the limit (this may be increased in the case of a second offence in the same Event).

During the race, the stewards may impose either the penalties under Article 16.3a) or b) on any driver who exceeds the limit.

Webber should have received a drive through penalty for that.....so...If rules are about to be taken serious, then let's do it right.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Webber incident was before the race while drivers were leaving from the pits to drive to the grid.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Green flag means all clear and overtaking is allowed. If not they should have put a sign next to the green flag (like the SC sign) that said it wasn't allowed because of rule 40.13

FIA should make a logical rulebook with rules that don't contradict each other.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

iks wrote:
As for Schumacher's pass itself...it was pretty amazing.

The whole preparation to that move is one of the craziest (and strangely, the funniest) things I have ever seen in F1. All that in the very slim hope that Alonso would miss and give an opportunity in a tiny 50-meter stretch.

I wonder what the drivers behind thought about him aggressively warming the tyres while the race was supposedly over.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:42 pm 

BenAD wrote:
The rule in question is:

Quote:
Under rule 40.13, which states that "if the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking," Schumacher has been given a penalty.

The can pass usually after that safety car line, so if it was any other lap, his move was legal.

The argument mercedes have, is that the track was shown to be green and thus technically the safety car was in before the race ends..

In fact technically the rule makes no sense at all, as the race doesnt end till the leader crosses the line for the last time, so the safety car cant enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap. A simple change would make more sense like:

Quote:
"if the safety car is out on the final lap of the race, it will enter the pitlane at the end of the lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking."

Completely agree with you. The rule in question was badly written, it has problems with logic. But I suppose this "confusions" in the F1 reg were done on purpose so that they can judge how they want.

Thanks for your answer! :thumbsup: