TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 183 84 85 86 87125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The travesty out of all this is Lance will still be on the grid, while Dan could conceivably not be. I've given him heaps of crap, but he is still my favorite driver and I really want him to continue.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:
To be honest it’s getting a bit annoying on the interwebs how DR fans act like McLaren is the villain in all this.
Where was that energy when mazepin got canned? Oh yeah, he wasn’t a likable chap so it was justified.

I like DR as much as the next guy but if you purely look at the driver DR, McLaren is right to explore other options

Huh? That's a completely lopsided comparison I'm afraid.

A closer comparison would be if this were a 40+ year old Ricciardo we were talking about, way past his prime and dogshit slow, had a huge amount of financial backing behind him, managed to get the McLaren seat simply by helping keep the team financially afloat, thereby preventing a young upcoming driver like Piastri out of it, all while being a royal asshole as he went about his daily business. Then I don't think you would get too many naysayers against McLaren if they found a way to legally dump Ricciardo to make way for Piastri. Until then, I think the criticism about how the team has gone about their driver management is completely warranted.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:17 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

They're both right.

Mclaren has over-egged its pudding but they wouldn't be in the position of looking for any driver at all if Riccardo had been performing

After nearly 2 years I find it hard to believe Mclaren has gone "this is the way our car is, like it or lump it" and not tried to modify Danny's car to make it something more to his liking
Even if they didn't, the greatest drivers can adapt to a car rather than expect the car to fit their driving style
You're not telling me the Ferrari in 96 was the way Schumacher (or anyone really) wanted it to be.
Or the Mclaren in 09 for Lewis, or the Ferrari in 89 for Mansell, etc etc

The mystery of why it went so wrong for Danny at Mclaren will probably only be such as long as his contract lasts but for now, it is just that, but you have to point to Danny not being adaptable enough to grab a car and make it suit him rather than the other way around

And it's a crying shame too because it's removed another player from the grid. Pretty much everyone would love Riccardo to be up there mixing it with the front guys, not just the ticket sellers of the Australian Grand Prix

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'll be laughing my ass off seeing Piastri being more out of depth than Ricciardo has ever been.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't think anyone here knows what the recipe for success is between driver and team in F1. It sure is easy to pretend it comes with the greatness of one individual, like the repeated fable that Michael single-handedly wrangled the Ferrari into a race-winning car and championship-winning team, or pointing to the fact that Vettel couldn't reproduce those results as a sign he's "just not one of the greats." Probably easier to agree on is that all of us have pretty short memories about results in sports, and everyone likes a simple story about the reasons behind success or failure. Gasly was useless as tits on a bull while he was at RB, but at AT he's got all the potential in the world. Bottas was a cuck at Mercedes, but at AR he's a giant-killer. Last year Sainz looked like he could adapt to and drive anything and even threaten #1 driver status, this year there have been suggestions that Ferrari would sack him based on his performances. Lando's seen as the next Lewis based on his performance at one team.

If any of these guys go on to championships (particularly after switching teams) it sure will be tempting to proclaim it a sign of driver greatness. Making that assessment would completely ignore the people that make the team work, the bets made on car design ahead of rule changes, internal team politics and how all of this adds up to keep driver, car and team working in complete harmony.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:30 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Las Vegas scheduled for November 18th, 2023 so b2b finish with Abu Dhabi (obviously Raiders would play a home game on Thanksgiving weekend and even F1 can't beat out NFL for ratings on that weekend).

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/las- ... /10350323/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
at least is Liberty that is backing this race so if it gets to be a fail it will not hurt that much

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I always thought Otmar was an idiot. This confirms it.

Quote:
Lack of Piastri loyalty upsets Alpine more than Alonso exit

https://the-race.com/formula-1/lack-of- ... onso-exit/

Where was that loyalty when he personally shafted Perez who had a signed contract? What about his integrity when they blatantly copied a Merc design then denied that they did, only to copy the entire car the next year? What about Renault who went through four drivers in a couple of years? And talk of compensation for all of the testing Oscar has covered? Gee, no wonder they don't have a driver academy anymore.

Imagine being in a driver academy when they turn around and say that they want compensation for your running because you chose to drive for a team other than them, despite them missing a signing date to keep you?

I understand where Alpine is coming from, I really can, but unless Piastri and Webber deliberately hoodwinked and deceived Alpine and the Contract Board agreed McLaren's contract in error, Alpine don't really have anything to hang their hat on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vassago wrote:
Las Vegas scheduled for November 18th, 2023 so b2b finish with Abu Dhabi (obviously Raiders would play a home game on Thanksgiving weekend and even F1 can't beat out NFL for ratings on that weekend).

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/las- ... /10350323/

A fitting end to the championship, these cities belong together.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hopefully Verstappen has secured his 3rd championship by August, so there's no point having those races anyway. Although in that case, I feel Liberty Media would change the rules to have "Super-Finale" in which 2nd and 3rd driver in standings will have as many points as the leader, so Top-3 will have equal points for the last 2 races.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Don't give them ideas. I can imagine they'll come up with a play-off system like in NASCAR soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:27 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

British Superbikes did it, so F1 is child's play

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:
Don't give them ideas. I can imagine they'll come up with a play-off system like in NASCAR soon enough.

Save this comment. After the 4th year of Max dominance Liberty might just pull this card.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Now seems a good time to link this superb (partly) satirical imagining of the 2030 calendar - https://forums.autosport.com/topic/2089 ... ws/page-54

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:02 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

webbsy wrote:
I always thought Otmar was an idiot. This confirms it.

Quote:
Lack of Piastri loyalty upsets Alpine more than Alonso exit

https://the-race.com/formula-1/lack-of- ... onso-exit/

Where was that loyalty when he personally shafted Perez who had a signed contract? What about his integrity when they blatantly copied a Merc design then denied that they did, only to copy the entire car the next year? What about Renault who went through four drivers in a couple of years? And talk of compensation for all of the testing Oscar has covered? Gee, no wonder they don't have a driver academy anymore.

Imagine being in a driver academy when they turn around and say that they want compensation for your running because you chose to drive for a team other than them, despite them missing a signing date to keep you?

I understand where Alpine is coming from, I really can, but unless Piastri and Webber deliberately hoodwinked and deceived Alpine and the Contract Board agreed McLaren's contract in error, Alpine don't really have anything to hang their hat on.

Unbelievable.

People in decision-making roles in a multi-billion business talking about "loyalty" and "moral obligations". They're just pathetic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
looks like company policy in Renault to have scumbag bosses who cannot work things right

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
looks like company policy in Renault to have scumbag bosses who cannot work things right

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:19 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

F1 needs some Flavio's to mix it up a bit :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Does it now?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:44 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Lord give me strength....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 183 84 85 86 87125 Next