TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 635 Next

The winner of the IndyCar Championship is...
Will Power 23%  23%  [ 21 ]
Ryan Hunter-Reay 29%  29%  [ 26 ]
Not Dario Franchitti 48%  48%  [ 43 ]
Total votes: 90
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

About the dirty air. In the CART days drivers were choosing different lines in the corners at Fontana and Michigan because of that, witch was kinda cool to see.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Pack racing: never again.

What exactly did you dislike about pack racing?

Its not CART ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wade Cunningham is replacing Mike Conway.

Mike Conway wrote:
“I’m truly sorry for putting the team and our sponsors in a difficult position, but this is the hardest decision I have ever made in my racing career. I've come to realize I’m not comfortable on the ovals and no longer wish to compete on them. I want to stress that I am not finished racing and to this end, I would love to continue with Foyt Racing, but that’s something we need to discuss in the future.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't blame him. Hopefully he can drive for a better team but limiting himself like this won't help with that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah. Hard to blame him after both of his Indy crashes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:30 am 

Location: Augusta, Georgia. First joined TBK july 2002 as alltel#12fan
good luck to mike conway :wave: he will land a seat road racing somewhere im sure. He has had some horrendous luck on ovals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is there a table or someone knows how fast and how much aerodinamic (easy to drive) they were each year, since 1980, or at least 1990. To see the line of going faster versus safety. And how much of that speed were crazy specifications or new technologies that made go fast besides all the efforts to the contrary...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Pack racing: never again.

What exactly did you dislike about pack racing?

The fact it literally killed one of the sports most popular drivers?

No, that's what you think of it now. Motor Racing is hard and dangerous, if it was risk free and easy, everybody would do it.

Imagine Vegas never happened, would you still think the same?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only time I liked pack racing was the 2010 Texas race. That time was close racing but with at least some kind of challenge. Others were just too much grip. Though speed was high, they were not racing. Just a 300kph side by side parade. Mostly with no overtakes. It would be cool to have ONE race of the calendar like that, but every oval had the same farce.

Other than that, you can't bump draft, you can't touch open wheels, so don't make them run together, that's one of the stupiest things about this nonsense. All in the name of (wrong but numerous) audience and subsequently sponsors. Vegas, if didn't had such a Big One. Would be filled with lot's and lot's of crashes. And if no-one died. They would all just love it. If it's to keep racing that way, at least make protection so the wheels won't touch, and spining cars won't serve as a ramp for others, like it happened at Vegas and the new "solution" put made the same thing THIS YEAR at Long Beach. Also close the cockpit for once. Motorsport may never be totally safe, but now, 90% or more is because of the open cockpit.

And don't take me wrong, I love pack racing..... in the Stock Cars.

Nuff said, I'm really excited for this race, 500 miles at Fontana, reminds me of the good old 90's. Though the racing may not be the same. It's about time we had another 500 mile race. And a race back to Michigan or Fontana.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:03 am 
Not been fired yet!
Not been fired yet!

Pack racing in IndyCar IMO was the very top of the Risk/Reward ladder. You hear how people in NASCAR called it a lottery? Here, add another 20MPH onto that, and it becomes russian roulette.

Yes, it was entertaining at times, yes it promoted close finishes, and yes peoples memories are tarnished of it. But at the end of the day, it's gone, and the racing/skill we have in IndyCar on ovals now is perhaps the best it's been since CART Mid Split.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Blimey did we all take our sensible pills this morning? ;)

I'm not sure about the racing/skill though in your last bit Wil, it seemed at Texas it was just as much a lottery as to whether you crashed or not (but then due to the lack of downforce compared to the pack racing risk).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nascar was a lottery to see who would win cause you could get in a crash and even without it the 6th place into the last lap could win sometimes. At Indy, it's just who would win inbetween 2 cars that are side by side after 20 laps. This at Kansas, Kentucky, Chicagoland, Homestead....

And if it was a Russian Roulette, it was for the danger to be killed.

About the skill, the over agression presented at Vegas showed that some people didn't knew the danger then, maybe now.... But the top class drivers section are really filled with stars who seems to know what they're doing. Besides Power who crashes every oval....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:37 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
No, that's what you think of it now. Motor Racing is hard and dangerous, if it was risk free and easy, everybody would do it.

Imagine Vegas never happened, would you still think the same?

I can't answer for Scotty, but for me it would still be quite boring. They couldn't pass each other without P2P. All you had to do to win was hold the bottom and have more P2P than the guy on your outside. Too much grip, not enough power.

This current package has the ratio set up much more competitively. There were some crashes at Texas but nothing terrible or excessive, and I think all the drivers that did crash said that the racing was much better despite them crashing.

-------------------------

I won't be here on Saturday night, I have an early start on Sunday followed by 6 hours camped on the High Street, so all I can do is hope it goes well.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

"camped on the High Street" - Tour of Britain?

The tour's final day starts in our town.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yup.

You lucky sod. You can get far closer to the cyclists at the start than at the finish. :p

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We don't plan venturing into the town center for the start, getting into there is bad enough on any regular day let alone a Sunday, I just looked at the map and they come down a huge hill (Cockshot Hill) then turn sharp right into Prices Lane just after the start, that is going to be an interesting bit with all the traffic islands so we'll probably stand there (actually it won't be interesting because it's marked as Neutralised on the map, whatever that means), if I can get my camcorder to work I'll take that with me.

Sorry for going off topic guys LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Woodski wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:
I like watching a pack of cars racing if they have the ability to overtake each other. CART races at Fontana are a great example (I don't think it was popular with the drivers back in those days as well), or maybe some of the early races at Chicagoland. Sadly it reached a point where the slipstream barely had any effect, and you could only get alongside and then stall, and run side by side for infinity laps. Trying to get a tiny little side draft, or locking wheels... It was scary to be honest. Thinking of Franchitti flying at Michigan, I believe Wheldon said they were driving as close together as possible, for the sake of finding the slightest bit of speed. Not good.

I thought the Indy package was good, but I won't complain if they're not flat out. My only worry is that the cars will be a handful, and the dirty air will make the handling even worse. I want them to be able to follow each other in the corners, but I guess all questions will soon be answered. Can't wait. :)

There was never any pack racing in CART.

Not pack racing like Indycar, but I mean that it wasn't unusual to see several cars battling 3 wide for several laps. It was one of the best packages I've seen for racing on the big ovals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
@JennaFryer

#IndyCar has been notified so far of 14 engine changes headed into finale.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:13 pm 

I found Las Vegas exciting to watch up until the crash.

And if they raced like that again, especially now with semi-closed wheels and other safety features in place, I imagine I'd find it exciting again.

I can't help it, and I'm not going to lie. I enjoyed it in the same way you enjoy a scary film when you know (or suspect) something pretty terrifying is shortly going to happen.

*shrugs*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Watching the first laps at Las Vegas, all i thought was "Oh crap." Because you coud see something going wrong, not with the magnitude of what did happen, but i never felt that the drivers were safe in that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 635 Next