TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78108 Next

Who is the better driver?
Dario Franchitti 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Mark Plourde 80%  80%  [ 74 ]
Total votes: 92
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

DW41183 wrote:
ellis wrote:
DW41183 wrote:
Races don't stop because people die.

Didn't stop. Las Vegas did stop, and that was the right decision.

That's a matter of opinion.

It's a matter of fact. It was the only decision they could have sensibly made.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No driver wanted to race after that. They'd have refused to.

Is it really hard to understand that?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
Shane wrote:
Does anyone actually have Mario's reasoning for wanting the race to continue or is this all just conjecture?
Believe it was because carrying on after big/fatal accidents is what has always been done. Las Vegas was one of the very few occasions where a race has been called off after a fatal crash (Off the top of my head I can't actually remember another occasion this happened).

That's conjecture again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:01 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Tony fucking George....

Just wants his power back, trying to get back what he thinks is rightfully his.

Dick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DW41183 wrote:
ellis wrote:
DW41183 wrote:

Didn't stop. Las Vegas did stop, and that was the right decision.

That's a matter of opinion.

And your opinion is wrong.

Another huge accident would have happened if they had restarted, no question. The accident itself wasn't an anomaly. At the time of the accident they had only completed what, 10 laps? They were lucky to get that far. 38% of the field crashed in one turn!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:33 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

nea wrote:
Not really. It was plainly obvious that the circumstances at Las Vegas were never going to lead to a safe race. Drivers were scared, fans were scared and we'd all watched as someone was killed because the track was in no way suited to open wheel racing.

Stopping the race was the right thing to do, regardless of whether it was out of respect for Dan or the safety of the other drivers.

I don't fully agree with that statement. I think it could potentially be fine for OWR, but that particular car package was what made for such a treacherous atmosphere.

DW41183 wrote:
Terry Schoonover 1984, Grant Adcox 1989, John Nemechek 1997, Tony Roper 2000... All races went on. NASCAR doesn't stop them either. Darrell Russel NHRA 2004 round 2 fatality Mark Niver Seattle 2010 Semi final fatality.. Races went to completion.

Tony Roper didn't actually die right away. I believe he passed the following morning. I can't remember the details, and I believe John Nemechek also did not die immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DW41183 wrote:
Terry Schoonover 1984, Grant Adcox 1989, John Nemechek 1997, Tony Roper 2000... All races went on. NASCAR doesn't stop them either. Darrell Russel NHRA 2004 round 2 fatality Mark Niver Seattle 2010 Semi final fatality.. Races went to completion.

I'm not really talking about people that die the next day, after the race has run to it's competition, but hey, what do I know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:51 am 

Ian-S wrote:
DW41183 wrote:

I'm not really talking about people that die the next day, after the race has run to it's competition, but hey, what do I know.

Ok so remove 2 names from the list. Dale Earnhardt was dead as soon as he hit the turn 4 wall yet they still finished the Daytona 500. NASCAR and ARCA have been lucky they've killed drivers in the last 5 laps or in practice so they don't really have to worry about it. Aside from Chad Coleman at Atlanta in 98. Same skull fracture that killed the others, ARCA still finished the race. Don't try to split hairs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:59 am 
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?

Didn't half the drivers in Vegas go to race control and tell them it was not safe? People knew from lap 1, that race wasn't safe, and knew it would be stupid to continue. The drivers were in no mental condition to race, and tbh 75%-80% of fans would have been far less concerned with the race than Dan Wheldon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:08 am 

I was sad about Dan too, but a better tribute would have been to rip off one hell of a race in his honor. If the drivers said no then they said no. The problem was in the delay fixing the fence. They knew Greg Moore was dead but they didn't tell anyone. If they wouldn't have told the drivers and sent them back out then no issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:19 am 

I'm pretty sure the drivers would have wanted to know no matter what - and would have tried to find out no matter what, about Dan. Withholding that information from the drivers just so that they would go back out there and risk certain death would have been much worse than just telling them, imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:26 am 

Well I guess the problem today lies with social media and the like. When Greg's accident happened in 99... It wasn't as widely spread i'm sure, until announced even with the race in progress. But at that point, you surely don't get on the radio and say hey uh driver, you know that big wreck over there.. Greg didn't make it. I'm sure those guys wanted to know just as bad, but not while focusing on a race. Any of them could have lost it and had a similar fate, and thankfully they didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DW41183 wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
DW41183 wrote:

Ok so remove 2 names from the list. Dale Earnhardt was dead as soon as he hit the turn 4 wall yet they still finished the Daytona 500. NASCAR and ARCA have been lucky they've killed drivers in the last 5 laps or in practice so they don't really have to worry about it. Aside from Chad Coleman at Atlanta in 98. Same skull fracture that killed the others, ARCA still finished the race. Don't try to split hairs.

dale sr hit t4 on the last lap coming to the checkers, and no one had known he had died til after the race.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:31 am 

And consequently, that "similar fate" is exactly why IndyCar made the right call by not continuing that race. The way they were running, that big wreck had to happen, and it was going to happen again if they somehow managed to convince the remainder of the field to go back racing. Those cars had no business on that track. We already had one dead race car driver. We sure as hell didn't need another or a third.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:36 am 

Okay well, my point being, if that is the consensus or opinion of everyone involved... Why didn't the drivers get together like CART's race at Texas and not get in the car and take the green? They knew the risk as soon as they put the helmet on and agreed. Texas also had practice and qualifying and they knew what to expect and called it. IndyCar knew what to expect, and the drivers let it happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:37 am 

Woodski wrote:
dale sr hit t4 on the last lap coming to the checkers, and no one had known he had died til after the race.

I was making a sarcastic quote. Obviously they were going to finish the race.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:40 am 

I don't know. They might have thought it was gonna be just like the Texas Indy races (which were borderline scary to begin with) and everyone was going to turn out OK.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:47 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

The practice sessions leading to that race pretty much tells everything. IRL got really lucky with their races (Kenny Brack notwithstanding), but CART was headed towards disaster had they held the race right then and there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:32 am 
Not been fired yet!
Not been fired yet!

DW41183 wrote:

Sometimes, they even carry on racing even theough they shouldn't and other drivers die... A certain race in Italy back in 1994 should never have takern place after one driver died because of the laws in force, but they wanted to find loopholes like hurrying them off track property, and then look what happened.

And I'd say less than 10 drivers would have restarted that race anyway (Even if they all had backups they could use). None of the Andretti's or Ganassi's would have raced, Panther would have pulled out, TK/KV racing would have done the same, leaving a couple of Penskes....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Senna's death was not announced until something like 6pm that evening, and many of the drivers were not acutely aware of how bad the situation was at the time.

The one driver that was aware did not restart that race.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 174 75 76 77 78108 Next