TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 129 30 31 32 33108 Next

Who is the better driver?
Dario Franchitti 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Mark Plourde 80%  80%  [ 74 ]
Total votes: 92
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Am i the only one who really likes the look of the car?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I actually like the way the cars look now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

amq55 wrote:
Am i the only one who really likes the look of the car?

I like them too, much better than the current spec of F1 cars. They were horrible when they were introduced in 2009, they've grown on me but the Indycar is already much more beautiful. And with the custom body works in 2013 it can only get better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't like them. But I'm hopefull that liveries will make the car look better.

What bothers me more than the looks though, is the fact that the car seems to be a dog (Dixon's words). I don't wanna start a debate now, but I don't remember anybody saying the DP-01 was slow or a handfull in the first tests, and that wasn't the best of cars.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just dangerously rigid at times.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

i cant remember if it was linked here or not but i read an article where dr trammell was not very pleased with the new car saying its not really any safer that the old one. it is an improvement but nothing like they are making it out to be.

ah found it easier than i thought. heres the article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As long as it doesn't fly like the old spec car did, it's OK.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pending wrote:
What bothers me more than the looks though, is the fact that the car seems to be a dog (Dixon's words). I don't wanna start a debate now, but I don't remember anybody saying the DP-01 was slow or a handfull in the first tests, and that wasn't the best of cars.

It's the first year of the new chassis. The original car went through limited testing in one person's hands before it went into mass production. The previous car had been developed over many years so it's only natural something new feels different and unconventional right now. There's a huge amount of development to come and that's even before the teams are allowed to start building there own parts in house. So in time the drivers will be able to find a suitable set up to feel comfortable in the car.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

pending wrote:
I don't like them. But I'm hopefull that liveries will make the car look better.

The DP-01 didn't handle/drive badly, it was just mechanically flawed. This DW12 seems to be the opposite, in that mechanically, it isn't breaking down, or has any major reliability issues (so far...), but it drives like shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
pending wrote:

It's the first year of the new chassis. The original car went through limited testing in one person's hands before it went into mass production. The previous car had been developed over many years so it's only natural something new feels different and unconventional right now. There's a huge amount of development to come and that's even before the teams are allowed to start building there own parts in house. So in time the drivers will be able to find a suitable set up to feel comfortable in the car.

It was the first year for the DP-01 aswell, and the only one who tested that car was Roberto Moreno before it went into mass production.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

At least they seem to be heading in the right direction as fas as sorting out the cars problems goes, They think recent changes will see it at least as quick as the old one in oval trim:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97071

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's interesting. Pulling 215 mph on a car they say was suitable for 218 seems really good for a first test. And that the car in theory would be able to pull 225 mph laps with 575 HP is really cool. Hopefully those results can translate to the racetrack on the Month of May.

I wonder if IndyCar will try to run the car with full engine boost at Indy. That would probably produce laps over 230. How awesome would that be. That is, if what they claim about the car is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Some guy commenting on SPEEDtv.com, apparently was at Palm Beach and says that engineers claimed that all Lotus cars will use black and gold livery, but Simona who will use the white/light green livery from last year.

Anyone has any info on this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gabriel wrote:
Some guy commenting on SPEEDtv.com, apparently was at Palm Beach and says that engineers claimed that all Lotus cars will use black and gold livery, but Simona who will use the white/light green livery from last year.

Anyone has any info on this?

For Simona’s car, due to existing contractual requirements, it will stay in its current green and white colors, with a Lotus theme added to it with their green and yellow. We probably would have announced Lotus at least six weeks earlier, but we had to sort through the car colors! They wanted black and gold on everything, but those [colors] didn’t mesh with the needs of our sponsor Nuclear Clean Air Energy and so on. We have to respect that, so we’ve come up with a package that’s bloody nice. We’ll have more green on the front of the car and fade it to the other green at the back and yellow lines running down the top. I think it will look quite nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 am 

Well, look on the bright side of this dog of a new car. It will probably provide some fun and unpredictabilities for the new season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Like Rick Mears comment at the end of this article:
http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story ... bring-test
Quote:
The car still suffers from an extreme rear weight bias and is reportedly tricky to drive on high-speed ovals. But, as Indy car legend Rick Mears wondered, what's wrong with that?

"So it's not planted and completely stable," Mears said. "Haven't we been complaining that the outgoing car was too planted and stable? That my ex-wife's mother-in-law could jump in one and keep up with the pack?

"The new car really brings the teams back into the equation in a big way," Mears continued. "Some of these teams have never gone through the hard work of developing a new car. You can call it teething troubles or new car blues or whatever. We used to experience it all the time when we brought out a new car every year. The biggest teams aren't always going to be the ones that get it right and there could be some surprising results.

"It's going to shake things up and make IndyCar a lot more interesting."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:57 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

575bhp?! That's 200 too few.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When they announced the rules they said that the engines would produce from about 550 up to 700, depending on the turbo boost setting.

They are probably just studying how the car would perform with little boost.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bit of OnBoard footage from JR Hildebrand at the Sebring Test:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yesterday I read an interview with JR, and he said that even though one of the "issues" with the new car it's the weight distribution for the ovals, it makes the car turn significantly a lot better than the old car in a road course.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 129 30 31 32 33108 Next