TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: BRDC Formula 4 2014
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:48 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Because there aren't enough junior series already...

http://news.motorsportvision.co.uk/4197.aspx

Post subject: Re: BRDC Formula 4 2013
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I thought there was a certain irony in Warwick talking about how complex it's all become while introducing another new series which I think fits absolutely nowhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:29 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Great. Another useless series in the UK that we don't actually need. I generally hope it goes the same way as Palmer's Touring Car championship

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Formula Palmer Audi recycled.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

With BF3 going to shambles, and FRUK already dead, Palmer has played his cards right. IF this is done how he's promised, then it could change how junior formulae are run. Its not just another f3 competitor. Its s legitimate 1st step into wings and. Slicks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really really really do dislike Jonathan Palmer.

It's the launch of this kind of series that is killing things like British F3. And it's not as if his F2 series is that healthy either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He really doesn't care, he just wants everything his way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jonathan Palmer should stick to running his race circuit management, he's good at that. Leave the racing series alone please.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
Jonathan Palmer should stick to running his race circuit management, he's good at that. Leave the racing series alone please.

If by "good at that" you mean, "he's good at butchering classic tracks" yeah I'd agree.
Snet remodelling hasn't been great (and hasn't attracted the bigger series he promised...) and I'm hoping that no news on the stupid proposals for Graham Hill bend means that it won't be done.

I worry this series is a threat to Formula Ford more than anything else. That's a series that needs to be ringfenced as a special case, stupid new car or not, it has history and the lack of a wing makes it a unique learning experience for young drivers.
This series, yet more low power and wings, what exactly is the USP of this one compared to every other series out there?
Not exactly much in the way of technical specs to go on....no doubt it'l be a case of marketing over substance, car wise though.

If they'd put it on the BTCC package I may have given it half a chance....that series is crying out for a decent single seater series.
Racing on F3/GT and yay, one DTM support isn't going to garner much attention either....yawn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:

It's the launch of this kind of series that is killing things like British F3. And it's not as if his F2 series is that healthy either.

Yeah, because BF3 is in such great health with half the field on two different teams and budgets nearing half a million for a season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:51 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
kals wrote:

If by "good at that" you mean, "he's good at butchering classic tracks" yeah I'd agree.
Snet remodelling hasn't been great (and hasn't attracted the bigger series he promised...) and I'm hoping that no news on the stupid proposals for Graham Hill bend means that it won't be done.

I worry this series is a threat to Formula Ford more than anything else. That's a series that needs to be ringfenced as a special case, stupid new car or not, it has history and the lack of a wing makes it a unique learning experience for young drivers.
This series, yet more low power and wings, what exactly is the USP of this one compared to every other series out there?
Not exactly much in the way of technical specs to go on....no doubt it'l be a case of marketing over substance, car wise though.

If they'd put it on the BTCC package I may have given it half a chance....that series is crying out for a decent single seater series.
Racing on F3/GT and yay, one DTM support isn't going to garner much attention either....yawn

FFord is trying to get on the wings and slicks bandwagon and the new car is a precursor to that. FFord died when they introduced that abomination of a car anyway. 30K GBP for a season, non carbon wings(easier to produce, cheaper), the clout of MSV and the BRDC, Cosworth power, and RFR designed chassis. The only thing missing is a scholarship, test drive, something like that. The only thing better is if the formula found its way to the US to replace the cars in the USF2000 series.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ptclaus98 wrote:
kals wrote:

Yeah, because BF3 is in such great health with half the field on two different teams and budgets nearing half a million for a season.

And it's only in such dissaray because of the sheer volume of similar series out there. F3 is having challenges globally, not just in UK, and I'm sure I said "things like"... You don't fix an issue of too many junior single seater championships with poor grid numbers by flooding the ranks with more series.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ptclaus98 wrote:
FFord is trying to get on the wings and slicks bandwagon and the new car is a precursor to that. FFord died when they introduced that abomination of a car anyway. 30K GBP for a season, non carbon wings(easier to produce, cheaper), the clout of MSV and the BRDC, Cosworth power, and RFR designed chassis. The only thing missing is a scholarship, test drive, something like that. The only thing better is if the formula found its way to the US to replace the cars in the USF2000 series.

It's only the first season of the new car for Formula Ford isn't it, bit early to write it off surely?

Not sure how this new series differs that much from Formula Palmer Audi, except it's not been named after Jonathan Palmer and has BRDC backing, so I don't see how it'll be any more sucessful than FPA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:27 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
kals wrote:

And it's only in such dissaray because of the sheer volume of similar series out there. F3 is having challenges globally, not just in UK, and I'm sure I said "things like"... You don't fix an issue of too many junior single seater championships with poor grid numbers by flooding the ranks with more series.

That's not the issue that he's trying to fix, though. He's trying to make a cheap, updated alternative to Formula Renault. FRUK died, FFord shot itself in the foot, in steps F4.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:32 am 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

Not that I've really been following it, but why not help FFord rather than launching a very similiarily named series that would appear to be some sort of competition. Businessmen in circumstances will make their presentations sound promising with talk of filling voids and providing opportunities, but the real reason will be they stand to make something out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:37 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

ryan86 wrote:
Not that I've really been following it, but why not help FFord rather than launching a very similiarily named series that would appear to be some sort of competition. Businessmen in circumstances will make their presentations sound promising with talk of filling voids and providing opportunities, but the real reason will be they stand to make something out of it.

He's not interested in helping anyone, he's interested in being in control.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ellis wrote:
ryan86 wrote:

He's not interested in helping anyone, he's interested in being in control.

Exactly what I said previously. He just doesn't care about anything he's not in control of. Like FPA, this'll eventually die.

He needs to stop creating new series to stroke his ego.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ptclaus98 wrote:
That's not the issue that he's trying to fix, though. He's trying to make a cheap, updated alternative to Formula Renault. FRUK died, FFord shot itself in the foot, in steps F4.

But is it an alternative to something that has died? I'm not so sure. If it was an alternative I'd be ok with that. FRUK is still active in UK, albeit with very poor grids. FFord is steadily rebuilding itself. F4 is just ANOTHER series which has no real place on the motorsport ladder. Funnily enough, like F2 and FPA. There's a link somewhere... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ptclaus98 wrote:

There doesn't need to be a cheap alternative to FRenault because all the young karters are already well catered for when they step up by FRenault 2.0 NEC and Alps, which gives them experience of European circuits at a reasonable price.

Out of the top 5 in the World Karting Championship last year-

Nyck de Vries; now in FRenault 2.0 NEC
Alex Albon; now in FRenault 2.0 Alps
Flavio Camponeschi; stayed in karts
Ignazio D'Agosto; FRenault 2.0 NEC
Karol Basz; stayed in karts

This is just Palmer being Palmer again. Formula 4 will give the dregs of British karting a chance to find out how bad they are in proper single-seater machinery before they shuffle off to sportscars.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:

But is it an alternative to something that has died? I'm not so sure. If it was an alternative I'd be ok with that. FRUK is still active in UK, albeit with very poor grids. FFord is steadily rebuilding itself. F4 is just ANOTHER series which has no real place on the motorsport ladder. Funnily enough, like F2 and FPA. There's a link somewhere... ;)

I'm trying to say because FRUK is dead, which it is(you're thinking of BARC Renault, which is run with the older Tatuus chassis), and because the turnout for the new FFord has been poor, this has opened up the opportunity for F4. And it is competing with two other series that aren't on the ladder to anything. I never paid much attention to FPA, but it seemed to me like it was attempting to be an F3 alternative in an era where F3 was already well entrenched in the UK. Palmer has simply created an opportunity for young drivers with little to no backing to be able to showcase themselves to potential sponsors in wings and slicks cars, because obviously sponsors don't think much of guys in FFord anyway. Witness all the trouble Scott Malvern had despite winning all there was to win last year.