TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1860 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 693 Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:48 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Gaara wrote:
It's not as if Carpenter had never won anything in his life before then, he's no Milka Duno or Hiro Matsushita.

And yet if step daddy didn't own the series do you really think he'd be in the IRL?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Gaara wrote:
It's not as if Carpenter had never won anything in his life before then, he's no Milka Duno or Hiro Matsushita.

And yet if step daddy didn't own the series do you really think he'd be in the IRL?

He does struggle a lot in the road courses, but if the guy is able to put a car in the Top 5-10 in an oval, then why not?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If he had the money he would be. Then again TG might still have set up Vision Racing.

No different to Alex Figge only getting into Champ Cars because his father owned the team.

PAXTON wrote:

He does struggle a lot in the road courses, but if the guy is able to put a car in the Top 5-10 in an oval, then why not?

After all, he did grow up racing on ovals.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:11 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

codename_47 wrote:
You could pass with the Handford....there was strategy involved and it required a modicum of talent behind the wheel.

And there it is. Rose tints at there best. The Handford was the ultimate in artificial racing, but yet your sitting critising the Dallara for it, whilst praising CART for the exact same thing.

As for Ed Carpenter, CART had it's share of god awful drivers, even in the glory years. Dennis Vitolo, who spent most of his later years spinning under yellow. Or how about the epicness that was Shigeaki Hattori?

Rose. Tints.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:03 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Handford device artificial racing was 10 times better than Dallara artificial racing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:22 pm 
Head Muppet

ellis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
You could pass with the Handford....there was strategy involved and it required a modicum of talent behind the wheel.

And there it is. Rose tints at there best. The Handford was the ultimate in artificial racing, but yet your sitting critising the Dallara for it, whilst praising CART for the exact same thing.

As for Ed Carpenter, CART had it's share of god awful drivers, even in the glory years. Dennis Vitolo, who spent most of his later years spinning under yellow. Or how about the epicness that was Shigeaki Hattori?

Rose. Tints.

How could you forget Guido Dacco?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

AutoRacer5 wrote:
ellis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Rose. Tints.

How could you forget Guido Dacco?

Or Jeff Wood and Arnd Meier? Of course, Shigeaki Hattori is probably the worst driver CART had ever seen. He was decent in Indy Lights though...one or two victories.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hopefully Ryan Hunter-Reay can do a good season ! ;)

Is Simon Pagenaud linked to Gil de Ferran's team ?? That would be good :)

iks wrote:
JV and Montagny would be a good team for USF1. No American drivers please...

No JV please :wave: (Remember 2004...)

Hopefully Francky will drive in F1 but I'm afraid that he will have nothing apart Peug and le Mans :( :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:55 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

ellis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Rose. Tints.

It might be rose tints, but look at it another way.

CART is dead. IRL is doing the exact same thing.

It's one thing to use Champcar as an example of rose tinted thinking, but when the IRL is doing the same thing (or in my opinion, a worse thing) than a series that doesn't exist any more, it's not really that good an argument is it?

They need a new car that brings more talent back to the drivers hands. That's not Champcar loyalism or any other conspiracy theory other than racing purism over manufacturered entertainment.

And your bad driver comparisions would only work if they'd ridden to a Handford-aided win or very close second place, which was the point I was making.
Yes CART had bad drivers, every series had bad drivers, but in the IRL they can nearly win races due to the racing rules.
New car plz.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once, he was in a position once. And he had a good car that time, he's also won in other championships. If someone like Milka Duno had managed to get into a position to win however, but that's just not going to happen. I'd say Dan Clarke was very much like Ed Carpenter, crashed a lot at first but improved. He's not exactly got the talent to set the racing world on fire but he's not the most awful driver in the series.

No ones denying that IRL is in trouble at the moment but so are other championships. IRL is slowly rebuilding, they do have a new car on the way but as they said, they decided to delay it a year because of financial reasons just look at what A1GP's new car did to that series. But there are people on this forum who are always sounding the deathknell for IRL and only because they're still bitter about CART going bust and then Champ Cars giving up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:58 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Gaara wrote:
Once, he was in a position once. And he had a good car that time, he's also won in other championships. If someone like Milka Duno had managed to get into a position to win however, but that's just not going to happen. I'd say Dan Clarke was very much like Ed Carpenter, crashed a lot at first but improved. He's not exactly got the talent to set the racing world on fire but he's not the most awful driver in the series.

No ones denying that IRL is in trouble at the moment but so are other championships. IRL is slowly rebuilding, they do have a new car on the way but as they said, they decided to delay it a year because of financial reasons just look at what A1GP's new car did to that series. But there are people on this forum who are always sounding the deathknell for IRL and only because they're still bitter about CART going bust and then Champ Cars giving up.

90% of my problems with the series (now that George is dealt with...at least publicly) are with the car.

Give the drivers a proper racing machine and I promise I'll shut up my bitching and just watch the damn thing.

Oh, it wouldn't hurt if Tracy was in a machine too, but with each passing year that gets less and less likely I guess...
Would like him to get a swansong though....

Maybe in ALMS... :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of course he should get a seat but top level open wheel racing has a tendency of being ageist. The closer to 40 you are the less people are interested in you being in their car. In the last 10 years name all drivers 40 or older who have raced in Champ Cars/IRL/F1.

I can only think of Adrian Fernandez and Paul Tracy. Oh and Scott Sharp at Indy this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

codename_47 wrote:
They need a new car that brings more talent back to the drivers hands. That's not Champcar loyalism or any other conspiracy theory other than racing purism over manufacturered entertainment.

There is a reason why Franchitti, Dixon, Briscoe and Helio are the ones who challenge for championships. They are better. Hate to break it to you, but the Dallara was designed to regulations which the IRL came up with. You can introduce a hundread new cars if you want, but it won't make any difference if the rules don't change. IRL produced 2 great races under modified rules. Is that not enough to prove what is actually at fault here?

Quote:
And your bad driver comparisions would only work if they'd ridden to a Handford-aided win or very close second place, which was the point I was making.
Yes CART had bad drivers, every series had bad drivers, but in the IRL they can nearly win races due to the racing rules.

Oh come on. Ed got close to winning ONE race and your using that as a set-in-stone example? How about the fact that nobody except for the title contenders, and Helio and Power (who didn't run the full season) won a race?

As for "copying a dead series", I hope your joking. IndyCar is struggling for the same reasons every other series is struggling - the economy is up the shitter. Is ALMS copying a dead series too? CCWS killed itself by making a series of horrific management decisions after ending up with the 3 least qualified people in the paddock in charge simply because they could afford to run it.

IRL has plenty wrong with it, as we go over every weekend, but this BS is getting ridiculous.

Like all Dallaras, the car is fine. The technical regulations are where the racing issues come from.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Of course he should get a seat but top level open wheel racing has a tendency of being ageist. The closer to 40 you are the less people are interested in you being in their car. In the last 10 years name all drivers 40 or older who have raced in Champ Cars/IRL/F1.

I can only think of Adrian Fernandez and Paul Tracy. Oh and Scott Sharp at Indy this year.

Andretti and Salazar, too

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

There is a reason why Franchitti, Dixon, Briscoe and Helio are the ones who challenge for championships. They are better.

Excuse me, in which team do they drive ? Ah okay, Penske or Ganassi !
You can also add Power. I agree with you, Franchitti, Dixon, Briscoe and Castroneves are talented but Wheldon and Kanaan too. And yet both were nowhere this year.

Teams are very (too) important (IndyCar has become as in F1 nowadays...) IMO. A new car could maybe change the order (watch in F1 this year ;) ).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:18 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Tony03 wrote:
ellis wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

There is a reason why Franchitti, Dixon, Briscoe and Helio are the ones who challenge for championships. They are better.

Excuse me, in which team do they drive ? Ah okay, Penske or Ganassi !
You can also add Power. I agree with you, Franchitti, Dixon, Briscoe and Castroneves are talented but Wheldon and Kanaan too. And yet both were nowhere this year.

Teams are very (too) important (IndyCar has become as in F1 nowadays...) IMO. A new car could maybe change the order (watch in F1 this year ;) ).

Kanaan has just had a terribly unlucky year. He has been up there in a few races but faded before the finish. This year is definatly not representative of Kanaans skill. I like Wheldon, but he isn't as good as the guys I mentioned.

It isn't a co-incidence that the best drivers find the best cars, and this goes for pretty much every series.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
It isn't a co-incidence that the best drivers find the best cars, and this goes for pretty much every series.

Not always the case but right.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:20 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Like i said, I'm a big Champcar fanatic (thanks Alex Zanardi, Greg Moore and Sebastien Bourdais for that.), but IRL is much, much better than nothing. But i agree for car, find another car to get off the Dallara. (a Panoz DP-01-like with his oval spec btw.)

Motorsport Lover since 1988
First TBK member to post it with a wiimote

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the sake of the drivers backs I'd rather they wouldn't use any Panoz cars...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:26 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gaara wrote:
For the sake of the drivers backs I'd rather they wouldn't use any Panoz cars...

yes sure, but something more safety and more faster. like Lola.

Motorsport Lover since 1988
First TBK member to post it with a wiimote

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1860 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 693 Next