TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 195 96 97 98 99116 Next
 Post subject: Re: GP3 series
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:42 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Red Bull won't pay for da Costa to go to ORT.

In a perfect world the useless Vergne would be getting chucked and da Costa would replace him but this is good enough.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:55 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
Red Bull won't pay for da Costa to go to ORT.

In a perfect world the useless Vergne would be getting chucked and da Costa would replace him but this is good enough.

Even I think that's a bit of a step too big.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't think so. Vettel came up straight from WSbR, as did Jaime.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:00 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

But the WSbR has a very different car and it's a much better stepping stone to F1 than GP3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Which is why it's a good thing that Antonio is currently driving it. :p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
Which is why it's a good thing that Antonio is currently driving it. :p

Fucks sake, I forgot he's doing that aswell. :p But maybe a full season in GP2 or WSbR would be the right way for him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Neither Seb or Jaime got a full season in WSbR. If he's ready, he's ready.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kubica came straight from WSBR. But I doubt GP3 and WsBR are comparable, not at all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fish88 wrote:
Kubica came straight from WSBR. But I doubt GP3 and WsBR are comparable, not at all.

Da Costa has been racing in FR 3.5, though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
Neither Seb or Jaime got a full season in WSbR. If he's ready, he's ready.

Jaime was very clearly not ready when he started F1, the number of Toro Rosso's he wrecked early on was evidence of that.

Vergne proved himself in a full season of WSBR, it's not unreasonable to expect to expect Da Costa to do the same. One could argue that Vergne's record pre F1 was more impressive than Da Costa's so far, but I'd accept any arguments that British F3 was a weaker field than what Da Costa has raced in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:10 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Cracking final race. Really thought Daniel had it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:28 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'd like to see Red Bull get the fact that drivers aren't dead space if they aren't in F1 by the time they're 23 and useless if they haven't done anything by the age of 24 or 25. Not everyone is a Seb Vettel.

Did a review of the top ten drivers. And yes it is overly positive.
http://www.f1zone.net/news/2012-gp3-ser ... iew/15678/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:11 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Nice write up

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:16 pm 
Permabanned

Sainz Jr fastest as second generation GP3 car makes its debut

MW Arden’s Carlos Sainz Jr quickest in first official 2013 pre-season test in Estoril

The long winter is over! The GP3/13 car made its eagerly anticipated first appearance for the inaugural official pre-season test at Circuito Estoril today. With a full grid of 27 drivers, the new car has already proven to be a success with a trouble free day and already more than 3 seconds faster than its previous generation on the same track. Two teams join the Series: Koiranen GP from Finland and Bamboo Engineering from the UK.

The atmosphere in the pitlane was electric with nerves and excitement amongst the teams and drivers as expectations were high. Luis Sa Silva (Carlin) made history becoming the first driver to fire up the new 400hp car and venture onto the circuit. The roar of the engine was an incredible sound as it marked the start of the 2013 GP3 Series season.

The drivers got to grips with the demands of the GP3/13 car setting installation laps and gaining a feel of the car and its limits. Eric Lichtenstein (Carlin) was first to set the pace, with Kevin Korjus (Koiranen GP), David Fumanelli (Trident) and Daniil Kvyat (MW Arden) rounding out the top four for the early part of the session.

Russian Kvyat then topped the timesheets with a laptime a tenth shy of the previous track record until the final ten minutes when Tio Ellinas (Marussia Manor Racing) flew to P1 to set a best lap of 1:29.396 breaking the previous GP3 track record. At the chequered flag it was Ellinas, Kvyat, Fumanelli, Carlos Sainz Jr (MW Arden), Nick Yelloly (Carlin), Lichtenstein, Korjus, Robert Visoiu (MW Arden), Emanuel Zonzini (Trident) and Vicky Piria (Marussia Manor Racing) completing the top ten.

The temperatures dropped following the two hour break as Aaro Vainio shot to P1 after lapping in a 1:28.971 which set a new precedent. Fumanelli posted a hot lap to head the timings until Kvyat marched to the top of the timesheets with a 1.27.616, nearly three quarters of a second faster than the Italian.

At the start of the last hour there was a brief red flag for Ethan Ringel (Bamboo Engineering) after he spun. In the final fifteen minutes, Kvyat’s teammate Sainz Jr claimed P1 setting the day’s best of 1;26.815 over 8 tenths faster. At the chequered flag it was Sainz Jr, Kvyat, Ellinas, Fumanelli, Korjus, Visoiu, Giovanni Venturini (Trident), Patric Niederhauser (Jenzer Motorsport) and ART Grand Prix teammates Facu Regalia and Conor Daly finalising the top ten.

MW Arden’s Carlos Sainz Jr said: “I am really happy today, this was my first time driving Circuito Estoril and I am P1. So many people had said how difficult the GP3/13 car would be to drive and they were right! I was so surprised with the amount of power and speed, in particular through the corners. It’s very challenging for us and it’s a very good feeling driving a car with 400hp, we had a great base to start with so we will see what we can achieve.”

GP3 Series Technical Director Didier Perrin commented: “Today has been a big success. The car looks beautiful, it sounds fantastic and as anticipated it’s much quicker than the GP3/10. We have achieved over 650 laps on day one of testing. With more power, the car will be much more demanding for drivers’ therefore I am very confident that when we arrive in Barcelona for the first round, we will produce an even better show and a high level of exciting competition.”

Tomorrow's test session will run from 09.00 - 12.00 with a two hour break. The afternoon session will run from 14.00 - 16.00 CET.

http://www.gp3series.com/News/2013/02_F ... ason-test/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Just noticed there won't be a GP3 race at Monaco this year. And with the TBA round likely to be scrapped there will be only 7 race weekends.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The Prince remains on top.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105662

Starting to look a bit ominous for everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:54 pm 
Permabanned

Williamson fastest on third day of test in Estoril

Bamboo Engineering’s Lewis Williamson ends first pre-season GP3 Portuguese test on top

Two new teams finished quickest in both the morning and afternoon session with Kevin Korjus and his Finnish outfit for Koiranen GP fastest posting the fastest time in the first half of the day with Williamson finishing the final day on top.

Today concluded a positive and successful test with the new second generation car as the full grid of 27 drivers covered 3809 laps in total over the three days. There were two amendments to the driver line-up for the final day with Kiwi Nick Cassidy replacing Tio Ellinas at Marussia Manor Racing and Lewis Williamson back in the Bamboo Engineering car in place of Ryan Cullen.

The final day of the first pre-season test at the Circuito Estoril got underway in torrential rain. There was an early red flag due to a stray dog on track. When the action resumed, Koiranen GP’s Kevin Korjus and the MW Arden duo of Carlos Sainz Jr and Daniil Kvyat were the early pacesetters as they dealt with the large volume of spray due to climatic conditions.

There were brief interruptions with the red flag after Jack Harvey (ART Grand Prix) stopped on circuit and Patrick Kujala (Koiranen GP) spun into the gravel bed. At the midway point Estonian driver Korjus held P1 from Sainz by 0.069s. The rain continued to hammer day and it was Patric Niederhauser who was next to become victim of the slippery track, spinning into the gravel which brought the red flag out.

With five minutes left on the clock, Alex Fontana (Jenzer Motorsport) spun leading to a short halt in proceedings. Korjus headed the timesheets at the close of the morning session in front of Sainz Jr, Harvey, Kvyat, Fontana, Dino Zamparelli (Marussia Manor Racing), Aaro Vainio (Koiranen GP), Kujala, Conor Daly (ART Grand Prix) and Niederhauser.

Sunshine returned for the start of the afternoon test and Cassidy and Nick Yelloly led the pack after one hour. The conditions were not easy though with gusty winds for the drivers to contend with. Laptimes tumbled throughout the session once slicks were used and the midway point saw Korjus and Sainz Jr sat on top of the timesheets with laps in the 1.29s. Jimmy Eriksson spun as the rain began to fall again as the red flag was waved.

Race simulations were the focus for most teams with drivers also concentrating on their tyre management skills. Harvey shot to P1 with one hour remaining as Fontana stopped on the circuit with technical gremlins. Williamson clocked the fastest time as the session drew to a close with the red flag after Fumanelli stopped. At the chequered flag it was Williamson, Kvyat, Visoiu, Harvey, Zamparelli, Fumanelli, Fontana, Niederhauser, Facu Regalia (ART Grand Prix), and Korjus.

Didier Perrin GP3 Series Technical Director commented, “This has been a fruitful and successful first outing for the teams and their GP3/13 cars. We have had very positive feedback from the drivers saying how fun and tricky this new machine is to drive. The teams are also very impressed by the reliability of the car as there were no major issues. All in all, everything is looking very promising. Now the focus from the teams can be on the performance of the car.”

The Circuit de Catalunya will host the next GP3 pre-season test which will run for two days on March 12-13th 2013.

http://www.gp3series.com/News/2013/02_February/Day-3/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The new engine sounds like a proper race car engine!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds good :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:50 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah that's much better. Just the sound alone makes it seem like a faster car.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 195 96 97 98 99116 Next